Oklahoma Sooners forum discusses a possible future move to Big Ten

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Oklahoma Sooners forum discusses a possible future move to Big Ten

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The Oklahoma Sooners football forum on Scout.com has some interesting threads about conference realignment and the possibility of OU moving to the B1G in a few years when their grant of rights expires with the Big 12. Pretty interesting reading it if you get into conference realignment talk. Personally, I would love to see the Sooners help anchor the West Division of the B1G.

http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/f ... ealignment

http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/f ... -b1g-offer

http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/f ... conference

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Oklahoma Sooners forum discusses a possible future move to Big Ten

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

then I'd try to get the okie state fellers to come with them to make 2 even divisions. I always thought likely candidates if they ever expanded were notre dame of course, west Virginia, pitt, or Kentucky.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Interesting news you have there YTB. All along I have felt that the Power 5 conferences would morph into 4 super conferences with 16 teams each, meaning the Big 12 would disappear. That thought was fueled by endless TV money. Now I do not think anymore big conference moves will happen as cable cord cutting is making for a smaller financial pie. Why would the BIG want to cut up more slices from a smaller pie?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

oh I didn't put up the link.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I hope they don't add anymore. I was just saying who I thought would be likely candidates for expanding in the past when they were talking about expanding.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Although I know it won't happen, I'd love for conferences to take a step back, and go back to 12 team conferences with 2 divisions of 6 and then have 10 or 11 conferences total (6 power conferences in football; 7 in basketball) in FBS with no independents. Preserves tradition and rivalries. Although some good has come from expansion, I feel expansion to 16 team conferences will kill a lot of tradition as 4 4-team divisions will be needed for conference scheduling.

My hope is that the ACC and Big Ten goes to its 12 teams previously. Same happens to the SEC which gives back Texas A&M and Missouri to the Big 12, and the Big 12 then subs WVU for BYU. PAC-12, MAC, and MWC stays as is with its 12 teams. AAC rebrands keeping USF, UCF, UConn, Temple, Cincy, and Memphis and adds Cuse, Pitt, L'Ville, WVU, ND, and Rutgers. Would love for BC to be in the AAC, but can't find a good replacement for the ACC. As for C-USA and the Sun Belt, they can either go with most of its original teams and add teams from there or split up geographically and make 2 new conferences so both leagues aren't stretching from west or central Texas to the Carolinas or southern Florida.

As a potential 11th conference in FBS, what I have thought up is for St. Louis and Dayton in their olympic sports joining the Big East from the A-10 putting both leagues at 12 teams, and then have the 12 football teams in the 2 combined leagues create a A-10 - Big East merged football league (would be 7 A-10 teams and 5 Big East teams) and compete either in FCS or FBS (all teams currently compete in FCS though Massachusetts was previously FBS). For the way FCS teams are moving up to FBS today, those groups of teams could be grouped up with the Sun Belt and C-USA schools to create 3 different leagues resulting in a 12th FBS conference, though I'd prefer only 10, maybe 11, FBS conferences. Just my ideas and thoughts. Won't happen though.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I don't think any conferences will be giving anybody back.too much money involved.though what you say sounds logical bucks. and there will always be some shuffling going on.especially with lower tier teams moving up from 1aa, and the sunbelt or c-usa engulfing them and further watering down their conference. personally I hope the big ten doesn't expand anymore. I only mentioned okey state because they might as well take 2 if this ever transpires with boomer sooner. personally if they ever expand again, I'd love to see notre dame's golden domers in there. and then maybe pitt, if they need another to make it even.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:03 am I don't think any conferences will be giving anybody back.too much money involved.though what you say sounds logical bucks. and there will always be some shuffling going on.especially with lower tier teams moving up from 1aa, and the sunbelt or c-usa engulfing them and further watering down their conference. personally I hope the big ten doesn't expand anymore. I only mentioned okey state because they might as well take 2 if this ever transpires with boomer sooner. personally if they ever expand again, I'd love to see notre dame's golden domers in there. and then maybe pitt, if they need another to make it even.
Agreed, money is running the show called conference realignment. If Oklahoma joined, I'm sure Oklahoma State would want to crash the party, but then there's also Texas or Kansas, who'd also want to join as the 16th team. Personally, only thing I'd want to see happen to the Big Ten do is swap Rutgers for either UConn (should maintain NYC presence) or Notre Dame. Wasn't a fan of Maryland and Rutgers joining initially, but Maryland has fit in well with the conference overall while Rutgers didn't create any additional competition, just more money.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

If this happens, then the big ten would have to bring someone else in. In this case I wouldn't bring in Oklahoma State, I would let the big 12 keep them and bring in either Cincinnati or Louisville both could compete in the Big 10 and be successful. I could Louisville of the two being more successful in the start of the two and has a decent market size. Cincinnati could be successful and as far as play style goes fits in rather well with the Big Ten teams.

Or

The Big Ten could try to go right into SEC country and try to bring in Tennessee. Who would fit in well and is turning their program around. Along with adding in the men's and women's basketball teams would be a huge boost of exposure for the Big Ten as well as open up more recruiting to the south.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

tartanblue,one of the main thing's I heard they consider is how much seating capacity a football stadium has like cincy only holds 40,000 Louisville is a whole lot bigger at 50,000. but northwestern just holds a handful more than 47k.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I was looking at the big ten section of my Athlon book this morning curious about seating capacities, and thought I'd list them as they appear in the book.

Indiana-52,929
Maryland-51,802
Michigan-107,601
msu-75,005
ohio state-104,944
penn state-106,572
Rutgers-52,454
Illinois-60,670
iowa-70,585
Minnesota-52,525
Nebraska-85,000
northwestern-47,130
purdue-57,236
Wisconsin-80,321

I thought that was interesting-- so northwestern is the smallest at 47,130
with Michigan being the biggest at 107,601

other school being mentioned on the post.
notre dame-80,795
pitt-68,400
Louisville-55,000
Oklahoma-82,112
okey state-60,218
wvu-60,000
ky-61,000
texas-100,119

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

This may be an interesting counter to Oklahoma leaving for the Big Ten.

http://lubbockonline.com/news/sports-re ... 48-million

Big 12 money competing with Big Ten money this year, and potentially less competition on the path to a conference championship and playoff berth (competing against Ohio State/Michigan/Wisconsin/Nebraska/Penn State vs. OK. State/TCU/Texas [if Herman gets the Longhorns rolling]) along with less money spent on travel expenses could be solid reason for Oklahoma to stay. There's even potential that the Big 12 and Big Ten could catch the SEC financially.
Big 12 announces record revenue distribution of $34.8 million per school

The Big 12 continues to rake in conference-record amounts of cash. More important, Oklahoma president David Boren says, the Big 12 is distancing itself from speculation about its demise.

The Big 12 on Friday announced its members will split $348 million for the 2016-17 school year. Nine of the 10 members will receive $34.8 million with a portion of Baylor’s share to be at least temporarily withheld in the aftermath of a sexual assault scandal. The $34.8 million distributions put the Big 12 behind the SEC and the Big Ten, but well ahead of the payouts the Pac-12 and the Atlantic Coast Conference make to their members.

“It’s exciting news when the Big 12 continues to grow from a revenue standpoint, and we’re excited about our future,” Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt told A-J Media. “It was a good meeting, and I think everybody is really confident as to where we are as a league and what our future holds.”

The announcement of the annual revenue distribution came at the Big 12 spring meetings in Irving, attended by university presidents, athletic directors, senior women administrators and faculty athletic representatives.

The $34.8 million payouts don’t include money made off third-tier broadcast rights, which Big 12 members retain individually. Tech’s third-tier rights, owned by Learfield Communications and comprising about 16 to 18 televised games, amount to about $1 million a year.

Texas makes makes an average of $15 million a year from ESPN for the Longhorn Network, and Oklahoma gets an average $7 million from its network, according to The Associated Press.

The Big 12 distribution is up from $30.4 million per school last year and $25.2 million the year before.

“That’s obviously good news,” Tech President Lawrence Schovanec told A-J Media. “We also looked at the projection out to 2025 and, without even taking into account the (Big 12 football) championship game and ongoing negotiations with FOX and ESPN, the distributions are going to go considerably above $40 million. … So financially it looks very good for the Big 12.

“I would also say this was one of the most positive meetings of the board of directors I’ve been at since last August. Everybody seems very committed to the Big 12.”

Boren said the conference has “more than held its own” considering the annual distribution was $12.1 million per school in 2011 before the current TV contracts took effect.

The Pac-12’s tax returns released in May and reported by the San Jose Mercury News showed that conference paid its members $28.7 million apiece for the 2016 fiscal year and projects $29.5 million for this year.

Two weeks ago, USA Today, using federal tax return information, reported the following per-school distributions for fiscal year 2016:

— SEC payouts ranged from $41.9 million to $39.1 million.

— The Big Ten paid $34.8 million to all except recent additions Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers.

— The Pac-12 payouts were $28.7 million per school.

— The ACC payouts ranged from $27.9 million to $22.6 million.

The Sports Business Journal reported last year that the Big Ten in 2017 will start a new six-year, $440-million deal in which FOX will pay $240 million, ESPN will pay $190 million and CBS will kick in $10 million.

The Big 12’s contracts with ESPN and FOX are 13-year agreements that run through the 2024-25 school year.

Asked what the near $35 million payouts mean for the Big 12’s security and future, Schovanec said, “We obviously like it. At the same time, we all acknowledge it’s hard to say how things are going to shake out in 2025 or when the Big Ten starts to renegotiate their contract, but financially the Big 12 is in a good situation, especially when you compare us to the ACC or the Pac-12. It’s obviously a strong positive.

“We obviously want to see more success in terms of what’s happened with football the last few years. Those things tend to be cyclical.

“And so I think we very much like where we are financially. We love the competitive model. We think it’s the best, the round-robin play. And when you look at attendance nationwide and how the Big 12 has fared, I think it speaks to the quality of those rivalries and the meaningfulness of those games. So we like our model. That was something more than one president said during this meeting.”

Boren, speaking in Irving at a joint news conference with Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, said the record revenue helps foil attempts to undermine the league.

“If your distribution to member institutions was shrinking,” Boren said, “or if it was small compared to other conferences that might come courting, let’s say, it certainly gives those members less reason to want to leave a conference that is economically healthy and doing very well financially. So it takes off the table a talking point for some other conferences or some other options.”

Boren acknowledged that increasing revenue alone doesn’t make a conference healthy, but said it beats the alternative.

“It’s not a be-all, end-all,” he said. “It’s not the ultimate goal in this. It’s not all about money. On the other hand, it’s like, do you want to work for a company that’s financially sound or do you want to continue to work for a company that might collapse in the near future and want to be laid off?

“The dramatic improvement if you go back through the years — the first year, it was only $4 million per institution to $34.8 million — I’d say it’s not only healthy, it’s robust. That’s a very strong talking point on behalf of the strength of the conference.”

About $6 million of Baylor’s portion for this year, and 25 percent of future revenues, will be held in an escrow account pending verification of changes at the school in the aftermath of a campus sexual assault scandal. Big 12 officials say the process is just starting to verify that the school is putting in place 105 recommendations for reforming its Title IX process.

The Big 12 is the smallest of the power-five conferences. The loss of original members Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado and Missouri, coupled with a decline in football performance, clouded the conference’s future in recent years.

Boren, the only member president still in place since the conference’s beginning more than 20 years ago, said Friday’s announcement should hush speculation.

“I think the day has come and gone,” Boren said, “when the question, ‘Is the Big 12 in danger, is the Big 12 here to stay, is it a stable conference?’ … I don’t even think that’s an issue anymore.”

Boren said he recently was asked specifically about a report OU wanted out of the Big 12.

“Emphatically not,” he said Friday. “I think we’re more optimistic than we’ve been in some time about the future of the Big 12, about the strength and stability of the conference. My goal is to get that topic off the table.”

Return to “College Sports”