The Cost of Athletics at State Supported Universities in Ohio

Omega
SEOPS H

The Cost of Athletics at State Supported Universities in Ohio

Post by Omega »

Interesting read from Cleveland. Com about athletic subsidies. The data excludes Ohio State. I for one think student athletics have a place on campus under the whole person concept. Yet, how long can taxpayers and non athlete students continue to foot the bill?

You opinions are solicited

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/in ... _of_c.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: The Cost of Athletics at State Supported Universities in Ohio

Post by Steely Dan »

First, in fun, let me say thank you to the greek "end" for this post :D . It is a dicey subject, for certain. The value of collegiate athletics gets blown way out of proportion by the administration and trustees of these universities, it is all about "the experience", collegiate pride, keeping their brand attractive, blah, blah, blah. Oh, and also satisfying the stuff shirts from the NCAA and the bowl people and the MILLIONS upon MILLIONS that these parasites rake in every year due to the collusion between the NCAA, the college presidents, and the bowl "sponsors", at least from a football standpoint. And, yes, let's face it, football and Men's BB are the absolute friggin' cash cows for this "fraternity" of good ol' boys.

Did my kids get their money's worth out of four years at a MAC school and the ridiculous general fees that they paid quarterly to subsidize the athletic programs? Absolutely not. Not even close, even though the majority of my kids went to all the football home games, the majority of the men's BB home games, and all of the women's home games over a six year+ period.

That's my spin on this, since OMEGA asked, a great question. When you look at the overall value proposition that your children are being asked to pay for with major money to over four years to subsidize the athletics of the university, it honestly is not a good proposition for your children as students.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: The Cost of Athletics at State Supported Universities in Ohio

Post by Omega »

Mr. Dan, thank you for referring to me as an "end" instead of an a** like my spouse is want to do. Money is power and prestige which becomes more important than value or values. I still follow and root for Ohio State, but I am losing interest as the experience is no longer "collegiate". University costs enough without add on fees or diversion of tax money from strict educational purposes. Kudos to you for getting you offspring through college. Be proud and never be deacon blue.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “College Sports”