Could Ohio State STILL get in even with Michigan State beating Penn State?

Valenth
SEOP

Could Ohio State STILL get in even with Michigan State beating Penn State?

Post by Valenth »

Lets look at this scenario...

#1 Clemson BARELY beat South Carolina 37-32.

IF...
#14 UNC Loses to NC State, THEN #1 Clemson loses to #14 UNC in the ACC Championship... The ACC MIGHT get left out.

#2 Alabama falls to Auburn AND OR #13 FSU beats #12 Florida and Florida beats Alabama for SEC Championship.... The SEC Could get left out.

#11 Oklahoma State knocks off #3 Oklahoma could hurt the BIG XII.

#6 Notre Dame falls to #9 Stanford ... Then Stanford loses the PAC12 Conf. Championship game to Unranked USC or #22 UCLA.... No way the PAC12 Gets in with a 3-loss team.

If this happens its possible Ohio State could sneak in at #4 with that MONSTER win over Michigan, a Top 10 team.

If Penn State DOES NOT WIN, It might Help Ohio State if Michigan State won out... How? Ohio State would have the best loss vs a Top 5 team who beat a CFB best 4 Top 25 opponents.

Theres a TON of scenarios out there.

Valenth
SEOP

Re: Could Ohio State STILL get in even with Michigan State beating Penn State?

Post by Valenth »

The way #14 UNC is playing right now.... I could see them beating #1 Clemson. Clemson didnt look that great today vs a 3-9 South Carolina team.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I don't see it. Lots of things need to happen and they all won't. Good season Buckeyes! Pasadena is great in January.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It's not over yet for the Buckeyes. The best case scenario would be Michigan State losing to Penn State but could still get in if Sparty wins.
Baylor lost and is out. The loser of the Big Ten Championship will be out. That is two ahead of Ohio State right now that will be out (best care would be Iowa giving Sparty two losses). Notre Dame needs to lose to Stanford and that will be 3 ahead of Ohio State right now that will be out. Ohio State would be sitting at #5 nod needs a loss by Alabama or Oklahoma in my opinion. Clemson may get in even with a loss.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I'll have to say the Bucks are the one team no one would want to play if they did get in.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

dazed&confused wrote:I'll have to say the Bucks are the one team no one would want to play if they did get in.
Youre right on with that Statement!

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Sadly, Penn State was no match for Sparty. BUT, Look how BADLY Michigan State beat Penn State, If Sparty only beats Ohio State by 3 in a Wind/Rainstorm. This makes Ohio State's resume and team look STRONGER.... Also with Indiana and VT becoming bowl eligible strengthens Ohio States BODY OF WORK. With this happening Ohio State has a Loss to one of the Strongest Teams in CFB AND Ohio State Has the BIGGEST DOMINATING WIN Between Top 10 Rivalry Game? The Eye Test just got much better for the Buckeyes. Though we still need some things to Happen.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I believe in past forum topics we have mostly agreed that only conference champions should qualify for the CFP. Ohio State will not win their conference so they should not qualify. MSU and Iowa earned their way and thus deserve their opportunity to advance. Besides, one spectacular beat down of a top 10 Michigan team does not make up for no other quality wins and an overall weak strength of schedule.
Add in their consistent under performance in games 1-10, I just do not see a strong case to include the Buckeyes in the playoffs. Buckeye
fans will still have plenty to cheer for in a bowl game, hopefully against Notre Dame in the Peach Bowl.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

No where does it say you have to win your conference to make the playoffs. They could take two teams from the same conference if they choose to and Ohio State is just as good as any 1 loss team.

Clemson is in, that's a given.
The winner of the Big Ten Championship game is in, preferably Iowa giving Sparty 2 losses.

That leaves Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Baylor who were ahead of Ohio State.
Baylor already lost and are out with 2 losses.
If Notre Dame loses to Stanford they are out and OHio State is at 6.
More than likely the loser of the Big Ten Championship game is out, especially if it's Sparty and Ohio State is at 5.
Now they need Alabama to lose to Florida who loses to Florida State or Oklahoma to lose.

Very unlikely this all happens but it could.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

In all the "chaos" discussions, North Carolina may be the sleeper. If they beat Clemson in the ACC CCG, do they get in with one loss, 12 straight wins, and beating the number one? Let's see:

=if A>B, (vlookup(if(iserror($A,$A:$B,2,false)),"Roll Tide",vlookup($A,$A:$B,2,false)),"Tar Heels")))

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

If UNC beats Clemson. Their loss is to 3-9 South Carolina and 2 Games on their Schedule are FCS Teams.

If UNC Wins.. The ACC will be on the outside looking in.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

smurray wrote:No where does it say you have to win your conference to make the playoffs. They could take two teams from the same conference if they choose to and Ohio State is just as good as any 1 loss team.

Clemson is in, that's a given.
The winner of the Big Ten Championship game is in, preferably Iowa giving Sparty 2 losses.

That leaves Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Baylor who were ahead of Ohio State.
Baylor already lost and are out with 2 losses.
If Notre Dame loses to Stanford they are out and OHio State is at 6.
More than likely the loser of the Big Ten Championship game is out, especially if it's Sparty and Ohio State is at 5.
Now they need Alabama to lose to Florida who loses to Florida State or Oklahoma to lose.

Very unlikely this all happens but it could.

It will happen

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Well regardless.... the PAC12 beat up on each other and IMO knocked themselves out of Playoff contention... Hopefully Stanford can pull Notre Dame down with them... then Stanford lose to USC in the PAC12 Championship.

If Florida loses to FSU then beats Alabama... SEC will likely not make Playoffs after almost losing to Sub .500 teams like FAU, Vandy, UK, South Carolina and East Carolina...

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Clemson and Alabama BOTH looked sub par this week. Barely beating .500 Auburn and 3-9 South Carolina.

Between the Lines
Freshman Team

Post by Between the Lines »

It all comes down to one thing ! You have to take care of business your self, too many "ifs" on letting someone else do it for you...
I would guess Fiesta Bowl or Rose Bowl. Oklahoma winning big and this is their last game. Notre Dame and Stanford changing leads back and forth. Alabama and Clemson both won today and should not lose their games next week. Its easier to lose earlier in the year and come back then it is late in the season and do it even with two more spaces than when the BCS was in progress. I guess we can always wish !

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

They had a chance if Oklahoma and Notre Dame lost,but i see where the Sooners are putting a serious beatdown on the pokes in only the second quarter,they look tough! I said earlier in the year they were my darkhorse to win the Big 12,then when they lost to Texas I thought they were done.What a job Stoops did getting them over that loss,I guess there might still be a slim chance if UNC beats Clemson
Last edited by cbolt on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

True... But if Oklahoma wins that BIG XII game... that lack of the 13th game could come back to bite Oklahoma. The Sooners 1 loss is by far one of the UGLIEST Losses.

I'll be honest... in my gut, I feel UNC will have a GOOD CHANCE to beat Clemson... There hasnt been a TRUE "Clemsoning" moment this season. Despite them BARELY Escaping a 3-9 South Carolina Team. We are overdue for one... UNC wins that game... the ACC is out.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

They are already there Val,that loss won't hurt them because it didn't hurt OSU last year

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Also a side note... Ole Miss is beating Mississippi State pretty bad. If Mississippi State loses.. they will fall out of the Top 25... And if LSU or Texas A&M dont reappear in that Top 25... that gives Alabama ZERO CFP TOP 25 Wins.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

cbolt wrote:They are already there Val,that loss won't hurt them because it didn't hurt OSU last year
Good point.

Return to “College Sports”