CFP Top 25 - 1 Loss Teams comparison.

Valenth
SEOP

CFP Top 25 - 1 Loss Teams comparison.

Post by Valenth »

I keep watching these rankings and see that this CFP Committee is not accounting how good or bad that 1 loss is (Which is Part of the CFP Ranking Criteria)... lets take a Closer Look...

#2 Alabama lost to #19 Ole Miss (9-3)
#3 Oklahoma lost to Texas (4-7)
#5 Michigan State lost to Nebraska (5-7)
#8 Ohio State lost to #5 Michigan State (11-1)
#14 UNC lost to S Carolina (3-9

This arrangement isnt right. The committee never Punished Alabama or Oklahoma for their losses. However the Quality of Notre Dames, Ohio States and Oklahoma State's loss weighed them down. And are Much Statistically STRONGER than the losses by Alabama or Oklahoma.

To prove ESPN bias... Look at UNC... They lost to South Carolina 3-8 in Week #1... But have won every game since and are only 14th? Oklahoma lost to Texas (4-7) later in the season but skyrocketed to 3rd. The only reason I think is seperation is that UNC played FCS Schools. BUT the committee punishes UNC for playing FCS opponents and doesnt punish Alabama?

This committee hones in punishment on certain teams. And lets others slide in terms of equal guilt. And its wrong.

The committe also Ranks teams for RATINGS... Perfect Examples...

#3 Oklahoma v #11 OK State
#6 Notre Dame v #9 Stanford
#8 Ohio State v #10 Michigan
#12 Florida v #13 FSU
#18 Ole Miss v #21 Miss St

Rank em close to make games look like blockbuster games... why?

Ratings = $$$$

This whole system is based on max $$$$$$... not the correctly ranked teams.
Last edited by Valenth on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Inspector
Varsity

Re: CFP Top 25 - 1 Loss Teams comparison.

Post by The Inspector »

Tell it Val! Ohio getting in the playoffs last year was a political joke and I am not real sure what the bigger joke is this year. 4 Big 14 teams in the top 10 is assinine and real offensive to a true and knowledgeable football fan like myself. Or Iowa at #4. Jokes. The jury of 12 levitates towards that clown Alvarez and Old Dr. Osborne.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

If you took the 1 Loss teams by stat of QUALITY OF LOSS... heres how it looks...

1. Notre Dame
2. Ohio State
3. OK State
4. Alabama
5. Toledo
6. Florida
7. Mich State
8. Oklahoma
9. UNC

I do believe an undefeated record (IN A POWER 5 CONFERENCE) Accounts for something. I know people say Iowa is a Fluke, but Iowa beat Northwestern, Wisconsin and Pitt.
Also Alabama's best quality win is over #21 Mississipi State their next best is between Wisconsin or Texas A&M... If Mississippi State loses... they have 0 wins from Top 25 teams. How is that Quality?
Last edited by Valenth on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Great analysis. A lot of effort on your part.

Obviously what part of the season a one loss team loses makes a difference and as you say being a conference champion makes a difference.
Then does the "eyeball" test come into play? TOSU loss was much worse than the 17-14 score indicated, yet they only fell 5 spots in the poll.
As to ratings driving the CFP selection, it would be to interesting to see what the Committee would do with this make believe scenario:

1.) Washington State 13-0
2.) Wake Forest 13-0
3.) Texas Tech 13-0
4.) Vanderbilt 13-0
5.) Ohio State 10-2
6,) Alabama 10-2
7.) Notre Dame 10-2
8/) Oklahoma 10-2
9.) Southern Cal 10-2
10.) Michigan 10-2

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Omega wrote:Great analysis. A lot of effort on your part.

Obviously what part of the season a one loss team loses makes a difference and as you say being a conference champion makes a difference.
Then does the "eyeball" test come into play? TOSU loss was much worse than the 17-14 score indicated, yet they only fell 5 spots in the poll.
As to ratings driving the CFP selection, it would be to interesting to see what the Committee would do with this make believe scenario:

1.) Washington State 13-0
2.) Wake Forest 13-0
3.) Texas Tech 13-0
4.) Vanderbilt 13-0
5.) Ohio State 10-2
6,) Alabama 10-2
7.) Notre Dame 10-2
8/) Oklahoma 10-2
9.) Southern Cal 10-2
10.) Michigan 10-2

TBH if those teams win and have a perfect record... They deserve to play for it. If one or two one loss teams are in the picture..

#1. Look who they lost to
#2. How bad did they lose the game by.
#3. Look at the NON CONFERENCE Schedule first. Put teams to played an all FBS schedule ahead of a team who played FCS Opponents
#4. Look at the entire body of schedule Non and In conference.
#5. Look at # of Top 25 teams they defeated.

In that SPECIFIC Order would help seperation...

Same with undefeateds... If an Undefeated team plays an ALL FBS Schedule they are the true #1... If they play an FCS Team... lower seed determines on the record and score of that FCS matchup.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I think it's all about when you lose that one game.If you lose late your done unless you get a lot of help from other teams,OSU had a very bad loss last year, but it was early in the year.If your going to lose you better lose early, the commiitee tends to take a what have you done for me lately attitude and how well your playing late in the year.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Since TWO 1-Loss teams lost (Navy and Baylor) I adjusted my post accordingly :)

Return to “College Sports”