Will An OSU-UM Week Tradition End ?: Mirror Lake Jump

Omega
SEOPS H

Will An OSU-UM Week Tradition End ?: Mirror Lake Jump

Post by Omega »

Not directly related to sports, but there was a death during the Mirror Lake jump early this morning. Obviously due to liability and public relations, the university will likely move to end the Michigan week tradition. The loss of life is sad indeed. I was once fat, drunk, and stupid, but it is time to end alcohol fueled bad behavior that masquerades as tradition.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/the-ohio- ... -lake-jump

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Will An OSU-UM Week Tradition End ?: Mirror Lake Jump

Post by danicalifornia »

It should end.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

25 years and tens of thousands of students participating, and not one health issue until the University started trying to have oversight on a simple student tradition.

It should not end.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:25 years and tens of thousands of students participating, and not one health issue until the University started trying to have oversight on a simple student tradition.

It should not end.
Part of me agrees with you Mr. Dubs. Back in the 60's through 80's, few students passed through the Mirror Lake hollow. As on gets older though,
needless loss of life becomes disturbing,

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

A terrible tragedy nonetheless my prayers and condolences to the person/fanily.

But looking at the bigger picture... when we see a tragic story of people falling from stadium decks at baseball/football games and soccer matches in Europe getting out of hand and these situations cause casualties... Theyre going to continue games and seat people in the upper decks.

Its a freak and horrific accident. But I would keep the Mirror Lake tradition in tact and add an "in memoriam" to that death in the yearly tradition... A salute to a fallen Buckeye.. to pay respect.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Back in 1986 a girl died or got paralyzed from jumping and I think they got sued ,probably get sued now.Surprised they didn't end it after the first tragedy.Also in Aug.2013 a student died a month later after jumping in the lake.NBC just released a report this latest tragedy the guy died from a broken neck.I thought they said at first it was a heart attack.I don't know who would want to jump in there anyway,it's basically a sewer lake :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

sad, but I'd like to see the tradition continue. people should know to jump not dive. but you jump in freezing water the end of November a heart attack could happen.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:sad, but I'd like to see the tradition continue. people should know to jump not dive. but you jump in freezing water the end of November a heart attack could happen.
Agree Bait, heart attack could happen easy, it's too much of a shock (dangerous quick temp change) to the body all at once.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I agree trench.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “College Sports”