Valenth's take on Ohio State and the B1G.........

Valenth
SEOP

Valenth's take on Ohio State and the B1G.........

Post by Valenth »

What can I say? I was WRONG... PERIOD.

Ohio State looked absolutely PATHETIC.. The offense looked more flat and predictable than Ever... Clemson Exposed Ohio State in a BIG WAY.. and to be honest... when watching the game I felt like throwing up because this team looked AWFUL.

The ONLY GLIMMER OF HOPE that Ohio State has was the Defense who played ok... But you gotta tackle for goodness sake. this team cannot depend on their Defense to get them back into a game everytime... They fell into a big hole that they had absolutely no chance to get out of. Clemson outplayed, outsmarted and to be honest Outclassed....

If you have to point the finger at anyone in this case, you must look at Warriner.... HE HAS GOT TO GO. PERIOD. He has done absolutely Nothing to help this team. Ohio State needs a creative Offensive Coordinator.... Don't think I'm crazy here.... But I wouldn't mind seeing Chip Kelly as our Offensive Coordinator... because he can plug and play his playmakers in unique ways... And we know Our team has a TON of Playmakers! Not just a stupid QB Draw Over and Over Again.

And As for the B1G I was also way WRONG... the ACC by far is Kicking butt and taking Names!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Valenth's take on Ohio State and the B1G.........

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I started the Chip Kelly thing last night on the local news interview live streams, so I agree with you.

What ever happened to wrapping up and driving the ball carrier to the ground?

If JT comes back like he hinted last night. I say open up the QB position to a competition and let the best player earn the slot.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

First off all, congratulations to Clemson and Dabo Swinney. The Tigers were bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, and better prepared last night than OSU was.
The same teams play ten times and the Carolinians win nine times.

Second, congratulations to Ohio State on an eleven win season when many including myself had expectations of four losses.

Third, there are those expectations or perceptions themselves. Consider if the 2014 national champ team was truly elite in talent or was their performance an aberration and the 2015 beat down of Sparty and last night's stinker more representative of the Big 10's actual quality?

It is obvious OSU has problems. Offensive philosophy. Recruiting philosophy (fixation on star ratings). Accountability among coaches (co-coordinators). Perhaps even team descension caused by individuals aiming for NFL goals instead of team goals.

In closing, only Urban Meyer can address these issues, but first I feel he needs to reexamine his commitment to coaching as at times the last two seasons he seems to have delegated too much. These are my opinions and I admit I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Still UFM is 61-6 at OSU, and maybe our fandom's expectations of multiple Natty's are just unreasonable.
Last edited by Omega on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I have heard that Kevin Wilson (ex Indiana coach) has been in Columbus several times recently and may be the next OC.

That being said, a few things from last night/this season:

1. I am shocked that OSU, offensively, looked that bad after over a month to prepare. I'm definitely not saying fire Urban, but he has allowed this junk play calling to happen for 2 years. The former health issues may have caused him to micro manage his staff less, but how can he be aware and sign off on the game plan we saw last night? No passes over 10 yds until the middle of the 3rd quarter. Wow. Not one shot downfield after a first half of Clemson bringing more guys in the box as the night went on.

2. No more "Co" coordinators. Hire one guy and go. Warriner needs gone or back on the field as the line coach only.

3. Our young defense played good. They held Clemson several times to FGs but eventually the time they were on the field took its toll and poor tackling is a result of getting tired and worn down. Pretty happy with how this young defense played.

4. JT Barrett has won many games with his legs as a result of a passing game that has gotten worse over the past 2 years. Unfortunately that doesn't work against championship level defenses. Part of me hopes he goes to Texas. He has not progressed at all as a passer. He holds the ball in the pocket forever, waiting for a receiver to get wide open instead of throwing to a spot. On top of that he has accuracy issues and doesn't hit receivers in stride to give them a chance to get YAC.
OSU never beats Bama or Oregon 2 years ago with Barrett at QB due to no vertical passing game.

Offensively, OSU didn't deserve to be in the playoffs this year. People are now doubting Urbans ability to fix the problem on offense and if he doesn't go get proven coaches on that side of the ball, it will be worse next year. Same issues for 2 yrs in a row at OSU doesn't sit well with the fans or players. I'm sure Urban is flat embarrassed but this is his own doing from putting up with these clowns (Beck and Warriner) and wasting tons of talent on offense the past 2 years.

I hope OSU didn't lose recruits last night. At this point if you're a blue chip WR or RB, why would you go OSU to be a part of that offense?

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

The lay off between games did not allow the coaches to fix problems and work on a winning game plan. The who to blame on this or that. As well as did the players do what the coaches told them and practiced. That we will never know 100% either way. Is this kind of like Kentucky in Basketball having recruits thinking more of the next level and not putting in the time to make a team. Now Urban has a new outlook on life becoming a grandfather for the first time. Time to rethink. Look at Alabama and Clemson. Take the good and improve as a team.

Now time to rework the staff to fit the above.

JT is a running back. QB should run around 10 times a game. JT took hard hits all year and passing was way better his first year. He is being rewarded the QB from the past not now. Then run plays with everyone splitting out where he ends up running the ball. What works early in the season will not work at the end all the time. JT has to many reads and can not do it. So he runs. All the so called talent at WR. Talk about not running good routes, getting open or just catching the ball. They would have been better off many of the times just putting players in those positions to block. While running spread it signaled to the defense where the QB would be. Which left the linemen with no help. Which sure didn't help.

All the young players and talent needs molded better to on field production. The past is the past. Positions are earned every week. Also you have to be improving as a team. This needs to be put on the coaches to improve during the season. Urban tries to be to nice to everyone. Like when Elliott spoke up about not getting the ball. When people knew his production and were wondering why. He needs to be more of an A$$hole at times like Saban or have that Assistant Coach on staff to do that.

Good luck and the we are young excuse is just that. If you go on the field you need to play and improve during the season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Valenth wrote:What can I say? I was WRONG... PERIOD.

Ohio State looked absolutely PATHETIC.. The offense looked more flat and predictable than Ever... Clemson Exposed Ohio State in a BIG WAY.. and to be honest... when watching the game I felt like throwing up because this team looked AWFUL.

The ONLY GLIMMER OF HOPE that Ohio State has was the Defense who played ok... But you gotta tackle for goodness sake. this team cannot depend on their Defense to get them back into a game everytime... They fell into a big hole that they had absolutely no chance to get out of. Clemson outplayed, outsmarted and to be honest Outclassed....

If you have to point the finger at anyone in this case, you must look at Warriner.... HE HAS GOT TO GO. PERIOD. He has done absolutely Nothing to help this team. Ohio State needs a creative Offensive Coordinator.... Don't think I'm crazy here.... But I wouldn't mind seeing Chip Kelly as our Offensive Coordinator... because he can plug and play his playmakers in unique ways... And we know Our team has a TON of Playmakers! Not just a stupid QB Draw Over and Over Again.

And As for the B1G I was also way WRONG... the ACC by far is Kicking butt and taking Names!
I'm every bit as guilty myself.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Omega wrote:First off all, congratulations to Clemson and Dabo Swinney. The Tigers were bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, and better prepared last night than OSU was.
The same teams play ten times and the Carolinians win nine times.

Second, congratulations to Ohio State on an eleven win season when many including myself had expectations of four losses.

Third, there are those expectations or perceptions themselves. Consider if the 2014 national champ team was truly elite in talent or was their performance an aberration and the 2015 beat down of Sparty and last night's stinker more representative of the Big 10's actual quality?

It is obvious OSU has problems. Offensive philosophy. Recruiting philosophy (fixation on star ratings). Accountability among coaches (co-coordinators). Perhaps even team descension caused by individuals aiming for NFL goals instead of team goals.

In closing, only Urban Meyer can address these issues, but first I feel he needs to reexamine his commitment to coaching as at times the last two seasons he seems to have delegated too much. These are my opinions and I admit I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Still UFM is 61-6 at OSU, and maybe our fandom's expectations of multiple Natty's are just unreasonable.

absolutely.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

You are a wise young man Val....There are several reasons why the 14 is as bad as it gets in Major College Football....The number 1 reason out of many is QB play...I dont put a whole lot of stock in Bowl game "Results" per se...BUT....QB play continued to be as bad in the post season as it has been recently in the regular season..Which just kills these teams in the 14...Scheme too but Individual QB play is as bad as it ever has been in this league...Anywhere at anytime..

Clayton Thorson and Trace McSorley are BY FAR the 2 best kids in this league...Anyone who knows anything knows this...Trace threw some pics but a nice young player...You have Hills...Stinks..43%....Mitch did have one of his best games EVER but he is horrible..11-20 for 130...Richard Lagow went like 14-40!!..for 188...Fyfe and Darlington went 19-42 for 257 which is better than the Fighting Tommy would have done...THE Wilton Speight was about at 55% on 38 attempts for 163yds....Bart and Horney had the best games of their lives in 14 attempts against an outmanned WMU...AS unathletic as any combo in America....And the cream de le creame....ohios Statue and CJ from the Hawks?....Ugly......Forget Barrett but Beathard was 7-23 for 55 stinking yds and 3 pics against an SEC Defense that was missing their their top 3 Dudes :lol: :lol:

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The Inspector wrote:

You are a wise young man Val....There are several reasons why the 14 is as bad as it gets in Major College Football....The number 1 reason out of many is QB play...I dont put a whole lot of stock in Bowl game "Results" per se...BUT....QB play continued to be as bad in the post season as it has been recently in the regular season..Which just kills these teams in the 14...Scheme too but Individual QB play is as bad as it ever has been in this league...Anywhere at anytime..

Clayton Thorson and Trace McSorley are BY FAR the 2 best kids in this league...Anyone who knows anything knows this...Trace threw some pics but a nice young player...You have Hills...Stinks..43%....Mitch did have one of his best games EVER but he is horrible..11-20 for 130...Richard Lagow went like 14-40!!..for 188...Fyfe and Darlington went 19-42 for 257 which is better than the Fighting Tommy would have done...THE Wilton Speight was about at 55% on 38 attempts for 163yds....Bart and Horney had the best games of their lives in 14 attempts against an outmanned WMU...AS unathletic as any combo in America....And the cream de le creame....ohios Statue and CJ from the Hawks?....Ugly......Forget Barrett but Beathard was 7-23 for 55 stinking yds and 3 pics against an SEC Defense that was missing their their top 3 Dudes :lol: :lol:
I thought you fell off the face of the earth. I couldn't believe you weren't on here gloating after the OSU-Clemson game.

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

I cant believe that some smart,knowledgeable posters like you couldnt just suck it up and say" You know...That Inspector is one smart HOMBRE and boy was he right".... :lol: :lol: ;)

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The Inspector wrote:I cant believe that some smart,knowledgeable posters like you couldnt just suck it up and say" You know...That Inspector is one smart HOMBRE and boy was he right".... :lol: :lol: ;)
Hahaha I'll never admit it! That's what makes this fun....I will say, I was wrong about the B1G, they really blew it this bowl season. Although, you can't base everything off of one game. I can admit when I'm wrong.

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

Chieftain2009 wrote:
The Inspector wrote:I cant believe that some smart,knowledgeable posters like you couldnt just suck it up and say" You know...That Inspector is one smart HOMBRE and boy was he right".... :lol: :lol: ;)
Hahaha I'll never admit it! That's what makes this fun....I will say, I was wrong about the B1G, they really blew it this bowl season. Although, you can't base everything off of one game. I can admit when I'm wrong.
I dont base the weakness of the 14 on any bowl season....Besides PSU ....The league was weak....And was all year. The ohio win vs Oklahoma was a good win. No matter what. But ohio was decent on Defense and awful with the ball when it was all said and done. The Pontiff,players,administration,and HOMERS are interested and believe in 4 things: Perceptions,Politics,The Cash,and Drama....Nothing more..Nothing less...Some all 4

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The Inspector wrote:
Chieftain2009 wrote:
I dont base the weakness of the 14 on any bowl season....Besides PSU ....The league was weak....And was all year. The ohio win vs Oklahoma was a good win. No matter what. But ohio was decent on Defense and awful with the ball when it was all said and done. The Pontiff,players,administration,and HOMERS are interested and believe in 4 things: Perceptions,Politics,The Cash,and Drama....Nothing more..Nothing less...Some all 4
The defense for the Buckeyes won a lot of games, A LOT.

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

Chieftain2009 wrote:
The Inspector wrote:
Chieftain2009 wrote:
The defense for the Buckeyes won a lot of games, A LOT.
ohio is the only college football team in America that goes into EACH and EVERY game in the regular season with a SUBSTANTIAL ADVANTAGE in talent compared to who they play...Been that way for a while...Now dont go Oklahoma on me...Last summer they were horrible on the O-LINE...The Mixon "issue"...A Defense that couldnt stop water from coming out of a faucet...Didi hadnt emerged...ohio did a good job on BM...This is why they have the "EASIEST" path to the postseason every year....They are nearly assured of double-digit wins every year playing their schedule...Would not be that way in THE SEC,ACC,or PAC 12

ohio played some really poor Offenses in BG,Rut,Indy,Corn,Mary,and msu....NW was Ok because of CT and Jackson....PSU hadnt figured it out yet...Tulsa ended up being really productive on Offense but when ohio played them last summer in a close game right before half,Evans did his best impression of Mitch Leidner in the 35mph wind and rain in Columbus! :lol: Game over..Front Run on...They were lit up by a challenged wisky Off. to the tune of about 450 yds..The 87th ranked rushing team ran for 236 yds ....Horney threw for over 200 :lol: ..No great D does that...The Wilton Speight Experiment and all their turtles on Offense?...You cant go there in 1 of the worse Clunkers of a game I have ever seen and a borderline obscene and crooked performance by the officials...Clemson could have threw up 50 and 600 if DW drops a couple more in the basket..

So yes..All smart football people like myself knew ohio had Offensive issues out their wazoo...Their league and sched is so weak they are able to overcome this and win some games because of overwhelming talent advantage...Defense winning games?...Nah

Return to “College Sports”