Players skipping the bowl games

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Players skipping the bowl games

Post by Bleeding Red »

It seems like this started to pick up after Saban whined around after the loss to OSU about his players being scared to get hurt before going to the NFL.

First Fornette, now McCaffrey from Stanford.

Part of me gets it. They dont want to get injured before making millions of dollars. On the other hand, they signed on the dotted line to attend their perspective university and agreed to do what it took to help their TEAM win. I think this really puts a question mark on their loyalty as a player and person.

To these sports agents, the players are merely a pathway to more money. Of course they are telling them to skip bowls, take it easy in the game, etc. Meanwhile their brothers in arms (so to speak) are out there laying it all on the line because this bowl game may be the last time they put the pads on.

I also think the playoff has something to do with it. Think about it......4 teams are playing for something. A chance to move on and play again, extend the season and bring home the prized trophy in all of college sports.

On the flip side, the playoffs have almost nullified the other bowls. The other bowls are all about money for the universities which does nothing to motivate the players outside of a new Xbox and other bowl gifts.

Just something to think about. Too bad they can't take something away from these players that arent playing with their team in the bowl games. I would imagine they will be shunned by those who continue to put in the hard work in preparation of playing their final game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Players skipping the bowl games

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

you don't play. you must pay back your scholarship. that's how I'd handle that crap.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If they don't play and have time to put into graduate they shouldn't get back in class.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

If your coach who recruited you leaves for another job, you don't have the option to transfer without penalty. If you get a scholarship, it is for one year, not four. The school can revoke that scholarship at any time. Let's be fair about this.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

dazed&confused wrote:If your coach who recruited you leaves for another job, you don't have the option to transfer without penalty. If you get a scholarship, it is for one year, not four. The school can revoke that scholarship at any time. Let's be fair about this.
Many of the SEC schools do that even to players going into their senior year. They recruit someone they like better. Then say thank you and good luck. Your time here is over.

One problem mentioned is the NFL Combine being the beginning of February. Where players have to train to do new drills. Which is hard to do if injured. Where some work out warriors can really move up to extra money. Even though some of the highest rated usually skip that also. For their pro day at school. Which maybe schools and NFL have an early Pro Day before the college season starts. To get times and all the other things they do now. Except the interview process and medical.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:you don't play. you must pay back your scholarship. that's how I'd handle that crap.
Im sure they would take that trade. $128,000 or millions. Seems like an easy choice. You have to remember this these colleges make Hundreds of Millions off of these kids.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I know that it's the principle of it. and would help the universities financially.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

noles_fan wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:you don't play. you must pay back your scholarship. that's how I'd handle that crap.
Im sure they would take that trade. $128,000 or millions. Seems like an easy choice. You have to remember this these colleges make Hundreds of Millions off of these kids.
BS. They agreed to this when they signed their letters of intent. They knew the rules when they agreed to play. The universities making money off football is nothing new.

Its the ultimate case of the "me me me" when these players back out on their team. McCaffrey has helped Stanford tremendously this year. Fournette has not. He has been a let down the entire year. I understand injuries, but this guy has missed time that he could have spent playing.

Soon after the millions of dollars are gone, they will regret not playing in these bowl games with their team.

Its the top 4 chasing the prize and then the rest. Thats what it boils down to. I would bet if LSU/Stanford was in the playoff picture they would be playing. Very sad.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Bleeding Red wrote:
noles_fan wrote:
BS. They agreed to this when they signed their letters of intent. They knew the rules when they agreed to play. The universities making money off football is nothing new.

Its the ultimate case of the "me me me" when these players back out on their team. McCaffrey has helped Stanford tremendously this year. Fournette has not. He has been a let down the entire year. I understand injuries, but this guy has missed time that he could have spent playing.

Soon after the millions of dollars are gone, they will regret not playing in these bowl games with their team.

Its the top 4 chasing the prize and then the rest. Thats what it boils down to. I would bet if LSU/Stanford was in the playoff picture they would be playing. Very sad.
Would it change anyone's opinion if say Watson decided it wasn't worth the risk?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Guys, I love watching Ohio State football but those players don't owe a blood oath to tOSU. Or any other school. It's an illicit contract. They give you 3 years of service. They, for the most part, are athlete-students, not the other way around. I paid for my son to get a college education and he can't get a job in his field. If he could throw, catch or run the ball like most of the athletes you're talking about here, I'd tell him to take the money and run. And if you're on your high horse about loyalty here, realize there is no loyalty amongst most successful Americans these days. This isn't your father's 60's anymore. Woody isn't in his short sleeve white shirt growling about sideburns anymore. A player who has made big money for his college but wants to sit out some meaningless bowl, I'm OK with that. Sit there with your Doritos and your remote in hand and say you wouldn't do the same? C'mon!

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Bleeding Red wrote:
noles_fan wrote:

great post red. and I agree.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I would not do the same dazed. I don't think my pride for my team and brothers would let me.
if it's god's will that I go to the nfl , then I would. but these games are of the utmost importance in my opinion.
it would not be okay to sit out the Michigan game for the same reason. so why a bowl game. they knew this when they signed.if we don't get a handle on this. then they'll be no different than some diva pro players. who have driven us from watching the nfl.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

This is why I stopped watch the NFL in the early 90's. $$$$$$$$$ No team pride.

AT THE RESERVATION
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sitting out or playing can go either way. If you play and get hurt your stock will go down. If you play and have a good day it could bump you ahead of a players that is a head up you. If you do not play it doesn't make you safe. A player right behind you could have a outstanding day and come draft day he just might go before you. I think this happened to the LA QB. He had a great Bowl came and it bumped him up. It comes down to a gamble. These players are doing what they think is best [or what their agent is saying is best] and they will have to live with it.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I have my remote in hand, no Doritos but do pretzels count and I would play. I would like to think you recruit the type of kid that wouldn't pass on one last chance to suit up.

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

Most,not all,but Most of the Bowl games have lost some shine and some importance since the implementation of the Playoffs. If and when it goes to 8 teams it will result in less interest and emphasis on the importance of being there and participating. Then when they want a 16 team playoff.....1st of all most college football people know that 40 games is too many and that has also added to the problem.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The Inspector wrote:Most,not all,but Most of the Bowl games have lost some shine and some importance since the implementation of the Playoffs. If and when it goes to 8 teams it will result in less interest and emphasis on the importance of being there and participating. Then when they want a 16 team playoff.....1st of all most college football people know that 40 games is too many and that has also added to the problem.
Don't get me wrong, I love college football!! But this many bowl games is too much. I don't think it lost as much of an interest with playoffs as it did once they surpassed 30 bowl games. 41 or 42 or whatever it is, that's too many.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

fbnut wrote:I have my remote in hand, no Doritos but do pretzels count and I would play. I would like to think you recruit the type of kid that wouldn't pass on one last chance to suit up.

amen nut.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Chieftain2009 wrote:
The Inspector wrote:Most,not all,but Most of the Bowl games have lost some shine and some importance since the implementation of the Playoffs. If and when it goes to 8 teams it will result in less interest and emphasis on the importance of being there and participating. Then when they want a 16 team playoff.....1st of all most college football people know that 40 games is too many and that has also added to the problem.
Don't get me wrong, I love college football!! But this many bowl games is too much. I don't think it lost as much of an interest with playoffs as it did once they surpassed 30 bowl games. 41 or 42 or whatever it is, that's too many.
I agree with the inspector. did I just say that out loud, and I agree with my ole chief buddy as well.
I watched part of Colorado state and Idaho last night. and the joint was empty.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and they was playing at boise state. and Idaho live there. just nobody there.

Return to “College Sports”