What Happened To Marshall Football ? ? ?

Omega
SEOPS H

What Happened To Marshall Football ? ? ?

Post by Omega »

I was somewhat surprised that Marshall finished 3-9 after a 10-3 finish the year before. On top of that MU was embarrassed several times, including a loss to FBS neophyte Charlotte. This begs the question: what happened? Reading various sports sites, there is speculation of it just being a rebuilding year to Doc Holiday losing control of the team or the assistants being garbage. Can anyone back in the Tri-State with some insight on the MU football program give us out of staters some info?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Matt77
Varsity

Re: What Happened To Marshall Football ? ? ?

Post by Matt77 »

Bill Legg (OC) has received much of the blame from the fan base.. also word is QB Chase Litton has lost the locker room because of his cockiness and putting blame on the players around him rather than himself. Lack of talent this year, injuries, a lot of underclassmen is also some factors in this terrible season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

MARSHALL SLICED IT'S OWN THROAT LEAVING THE MAC. EVERYONE OF THOSE GAMES WERE DRIVABLE AND AFFORDABLE. AND MARSHALL HAD AN AMAZING FOLLOWING. THE MOVE TO A VERY WEAK CONFERENCE USA STUCK THE KNIFE IN FURTHER. WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM BACK IN THE MAC WHERE THEY BELONG SIZEWISE AND GEOGRAPHICALLY. I HAVE NO IDEA OTHERWISE. SOUNDS LIKE A BURNING BARN TO ME. I ALWAYS HAVE LOVED MARSHALL, AND BEEN TO MANY A GAME THERE. BUT THEY LOST THEIR ROAD CROWD SUPPORT PLAYING IN THE NETHER REACHES OF TEXAS AND BEYOND.
AND THE COMPETITUION IS PATHETIC, AND THEY ARE PLAYING TO THAT LEVEL FROM WHAT I'VE WATCHED OF THEM.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

STILL LOVE EM BUT THEY NEED REBOOTED.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

I haven't watched a Marshall game this year. Before I wasn't to impressed with Doc. They seemed to win games on ability not on his coaching. More of a recruiter than head coach. Not being able to develop a QB and backup has been a big problem. As well as some questionable recruits that got in trouble. Some injuries but no depth in most positions.
They got into the conference as teams were leaving. Bigger is not better. Now it is just bigger by distance and the money needed for travel. Now the MAC gets more games on ESPN. Marshall games are not even big on tv in the area close to Huntington. Except for some graduates and boosters Marshall games are not a must see event playing many schools that do not provide any interest at all.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree, very poor move leaving the mac for a flailing, fledgling c-usa.

Return to “College Sports”