Buckeye FB

MEANGREEN
Waterboy

Buckeye FB

Post by MEANGREEN »

Consider this: Out of the five one-loss teams ranked nationally in the top ten, Ohio State is last. The bucks lost a close, uninspired game to then, what, #6 Mich St. The following week we DESTROY a top ten Michigan in their house. Oklahoma lost to a weak Texas team and Alabama is man handled by Ole' Miss. Both are ranked above Ohio State. I know about all the conference champions, but do you REALLY think defending National champs OSU is not a top 4 team? I, and I think many others would put their money on OSU against any of those four. I know- Too little, too late. This is my bid for an eight team play-off system, as well as a clear definition as to how contenders are picked.

NO BENGALS ALLOWED
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Buckeye FB

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I would take my chances with OSU against any 1 loss team after the game against TTUN. But, a lot of it has to do with WHEN you get that loss.

MEANGREEN
Waterboy

Post by MEANGREEN »

I know, and it is BS. They need to step back and look at BIG picture

NO BENGALS ALLOWED
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

The committee does look at the whole body of work. We only looked like a top 4 team against TTUN (and maybe Hawaii). I personally think OSU is one of the top 4 teams in the country this year, but we did not deserve to make the playoff.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

The fact is they left Big 12 out last year, Michigan St beat Buckeyes, Clemson was undefeated and lord knows it would take an act of Congress to keep Alabama or an SEC team out.

MEANGREEN
Waterboy

Post by MEANGREEN »

Eight team play-off

NO BENGALS ALLOWED
Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

MEANGREEN wrote:Eight team play-off
I'm with you, only fair way to do it.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

It will be awhile before that happens

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I believe OSU was one of the 4 best teams, but it's when you lose, not who you lose to...as benefitted the Buckeyes last year.

They also didn't really play like a Top 4 team all year, so I understand why they would be left out.

MEANGREEN
Waterboy

Post by MEANGREEN »

Oh yeah.. Would love to see Bucks crush ND. And Mich St wins it all. What kind of rankings would that leave?

NO BENGALS ALLOWED
Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

I love watching Buckeyes and hope they win but as for end of year rankings I've always been a National Championship or bust kinda guy

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State had their chance until they were soundly beaten by Sparty (score was closer than the actual game domination by Sparty). OSU simply did not earn the opportunity to defend. Even if they had won the BIG and qualified for the CFP, I fear they would have been embarrassed simply because they never achieved the chemistry of the three game championship run of last year. Watching Clemson throttling Oklahoma 37 -17 at the start of the fourth quarter, I am not so sure that the Bucks will keep up with the ND in the Fiesta bowl. The 2015 Buckeyes are a bottom team in the top ten. The CFP committee got it right. That said, Go Bucks, beat the Irish !

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

I absolutely think Ohio State is deserving to defend their title. I Still think an 8 team playoff is the way to go.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

They should of handled their business. They didn't they got beat by Sparty and a backup qb.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I still do not like an 8 team playoff, maybe 6 but no way 8.
OSU is clearly one of the top 4 teams in the Country and that is the Committee's job to select the TOP 4 regardless of conference championships.
If the Buckeyes didn't "take care of business" then neither did Oklahoma or Alabama. They were beaten by way lessor opponents than OSU. What is taking care of business, winning your conference? What if the winner of the SEC had two losses? What if Oklahoma had 2 losses but won their conference? Everybody keeps saying you have win your conference, well no you don't. They Committee is to select the TOP 4 teams in the Country - PERIOD!
We saw the Sooners exposed today.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

with a win(50) the Buckeyes will have the most wins ever over a 4 year period in the history of college football

This year shows we need 8. Ohio State is the best team and only had one loss. It's a biased system. Make it 8 and it's perfect

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Sounds like more people are coming around to my way of thinking, go 8 team playoff!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

smurray wrote:I still do not like an 8 team playoff, maybe 6 but no way 8.
OSU is clearly one of the top 4 teams in the Country and that is the Committee's job to select the TOP 4 regardless of conference championships.
If the Buckeyes didn't "take care of business" then neither did Oklahoma or Alabama. They were beaten by way lessor opponents than OSU. What is taking care of business, winning your conference? What if the winner of the SEC had two losses? What if Oklahoma had 2 losses but won their conference? Everybody keeps saying you have win your conference, well no you don't. They Committee is to select the TOP 4 teams in the Country - PERIOD!
We saw the Sooners exposed today.
I hear you and share your pain, but face it, OSU was only third in overall BIG standings behind Sparty and Iowa. How can a third place team in any conference be considered one of the top four teams in the nation? We all believe OSU's talent is as good or better than anyone. Yet they only achieved one quality win and the teams ranked above them all had two or more. I believe this year the Committee did not overly penalize losses, but rather gave more value to wins achieved against quality opponents. We now know how Baylor and TCU felt last year.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

There are sensible people and osu fans out there like Omega. I have one question." Would anyone besides an osu HOMER think that this team is the nations best or deserving to be in the playoff?" :lol: ..come on man.
Some Facts...
1)osu beat a UM team for their only quality win..was on the road..14-10 at half..osu runs 3 football plays which included Wide-zone and the read and Barrett ran it well...UM allowed them to run tempo and and allowed osu to frontrun them...parlayed this performance to the head Coaching job at Maryland for DJ Durkens :lol: ..What a joke
2)osu doesnt throw the football well
3)You NEVER know what is goung to occur at these bowl games.Matchups are everything. But after 4 weeks off?..Who comes back?
4)Alvarez is the Alpha Male on the Committee..assisted by Osborne.BIG 14 is the flavor of the month. No knowledgeable and experienced football person like myself and unlimited others buys in to Iowa,UM,MSU,and osu all being top 15 teams. Its insulting that they try to force that lie on people.
5)Bama got beat by Ole Miss. Had 5 TOs. If you dont think that Ole Miss is a talented bunch and capable of beating ANYONE on any given game day,you are misguided and a knuckle-head.. Are they undisciplined? Yea :lol: Unfocused? Yea...Does their NFL-Ready talent smoke some weed and fall out windows,get suspended,and cost himself 100s of thousands of dollars?..You bet. But they have the nations top LT and NFL ready WR and a better QB than anyone in the Big 14.
6) Stanford should been in the playoffs and not MSU
7) Kirby and Saint Nick are going to look like hell in Glendale from their sleepness nights the next 10 or so seeing DWatson do his thing!
8) This is the ideal matchup
9) Brian kelly(like him or not) and his staff has done an unbelievable Coaching job. More adversity than anyone I can remember.
10) Bama is gunning for their 12th Natti and the 8th in 10 Yrs for the Greatest football conference in the history of college football. Facing a worthy opponent,who by the way,osu has never beaten.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Glad nobody listened to the greatest football mind in the world (inspector gadget) last year when the Buckeyes took the mighty tide to the wood shed with a third string QB.

Return to “College Sports”