NU Women's LAX Coach confirms B1G Women's LAX Conference

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

NU Women's LAX Coach confirms B1G Women's LAX Conference

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Kelly Amonte Hiller confirmed that B1G Women's Lacrosse will begin in the '14-'15 school year with all six members participating:

Maryland
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State and Penn State will leave the American Lacrosse Conference. Next year is actually Michigan's first year playing the sport and they will spend one season in the ALC.

NU coach predicts more B1G schools will add the sport.

Here's hoping that men's lax is added as a conference sport at the same time!

http://dailynorthwestern.com/2013/05/15 ... n-in-2015/
Kelly Amonte Hiller: Women’s lacrosse conference coming to Big Ten in 2015

Ava Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor
May 15, 2013

Coach Kelly Amonte Hiller said today that a Big Ten women's lacrosse conference will debut in the 2014-15 season.

Northwestern, Ohio State and Penn State will play one last season in the American Lacrosse Conference before moving to the Big Ten conference. Michigan, which will debut its women's lacrosse program next year, will also play in the ALC for the 2013-14 season and then move to the Big Ten, Amonte Hiller said.

"It's very, very exciting for us," Amonte Hiller said. "And we've garnered a lot of attention from the Big Ten, just with our success and being in Chicago … and I think having a conference now just elevates our sport to a whole other level."

The addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten in 2015 means at least six teams already in the conference will have a women's lacrosse program. Because six teams will compete in the sport, women's lacrosse is eligible to receive sponsorship from the conference.

A Big Ten lacrosse conference also brings together the country's two biggest women's lacrosse powerhouses: NU and Maryland.

"It just makes our conference that much more competitive, and I think that we should have the most competitive conference in the country,” Amonte Hiller said, noting NU will no longer face ALC rival Florida during the regular season.

Amonte Hiller said she hopes other Big Ten schools will introduce women's lacrosse programs in the future to flesh out the conference. Benefits of having the conference also include an added level of local support — Big Ten headquarters is just outside of Chicago — as well as extra media attention.

Amonte Hiller, who played at Maryland, also recruits heavily from the East Coast. She hopes the draw of being able to play in the Big Ten will pull more Midwest players to NU's team as well.

Ultimately, Amonte Hiller said she is excited for what the conference means for the expansion of the sport. Chatter surrounding a Big Ten women's lacrosse conference picked up in the postseason, when the newly expanded 26-team NCAA tournament also loomed.

"For us, it's a great thing," Amonte Hiller said. "For our sport, it’s a whole other great thing, and I don't think people really realize it yet. I think we realize it because we've been an outlier, we've been building this outside of the East Coast, and I think that this is a big step for the sport of lacrosse, to have sanctioned conferences … this is a big step for the sport of lacrosse."

fightingtigers45
S

Re: NU Women's LAX Coach confirms B1G Women's LAX Conference

Post by fightingtigers45 »

This really sucks for Florida. The women have had tremendous success and I attribute it to playing in the ALC. I'm sure northwestern will be glad to get away from them.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Women's LAX in the B1G will be brutal with both Northwestern and Maryland.

I think the B1G is working behind the scenes right now to create a men's conference at the same time.

Johns Hopkins announced on Friday that they are seeking conference affiliation for the first time in school history for their men's lacrosse program. Their women's program will leave the ALC and become independent, unless they join whatever conference the men's team joins.

I don't know what will happen to the ALC. The only teams left after next season are Florida and Vanderbilt. South Carolina is set to join as well............if they ever field a team.

Northwestern has absolutely dominated the ALC the past decade, as well as the nation, with 7 national championships in the past 8 years. Maryland won the one championship Northwestern did not win in that span, defeating NU in the national championship game in 2010.

National Championships since 1978:

Maryland (10): 1986, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2010
Northwestern (7): 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
Penn State (5): 1978, 1979, 1980, 1987, 1989

Everyone else in the NCAA (13)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Hopefully all of the schools will add this sport.

So fun to watch.

Return to “College Sports”