Urban Meyer Suspended For Three Games

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Urban Meyer Suspended For Three Games

Post by Chieftain2009 »

But...I do agree that the press conference last night was miserable.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

All of this going on will be good to verify with what the courts find out when the Smiths actual go to court. We live in a country were you are guilty in the eyes of the internet and mass media. It doesn't matter if the person done it or not. It is someone gave their version is that matters and how many heads will fall. If things are so bad as one side says. Then why do the courts allow unsupervised visits with his child? Or is she is what the other side says? The child's welfare with the parents is being forgotten.

Use this as a teaching tool to educate everyone. Including the calling of Police to try to get him in trouble when he was proven not there. This has so many layers that people will dissect more than a debate class giving a topic to research and debate for years.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:31 am I think it's pretty ignorant assuming that every OSU fans go by the saying of "win at all costs" or "wins count more than anything"
It's not my point to insult EVERY OSU fan. I just want to point out we do live in somewhat of a fishbowl in Ohio. There is nothing that came of that press conference last night that disputes that the only that counts is winning. It would've been better to NOT have Urban on that stage. Just issue a press release and move on. Urban communicated to the whole world that he doesn't agree with the findings and he's pissed he even has to answer questions about it. A bad look for all.
Last edited by dazed&confused on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

Press conference was a disaster. I didn't feel any contrition by any of the Ohio State brass. They simply punted and said they could have done better. Couldn't even muster anything to say to the alleged victim. Had a chance to make a statement to the young men on his team about how you treat women and blew it. Need to change his locker room sign that states "Treat women with respect."

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

You can say what you want about Urban being on stage. Was he in the meetings for 12 hours? Sure he was worried even before the meetings. Not like this press conference was held early in the day. Besides people would be mad at him no matter what he said or how he said it. That goes for anyone in a situation like this in whatever high ranking job. People like/want blood.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Bleeding Red wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 am
smurray wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:13 pm Meyers superior Gene Smith knew of the allegations in 2015, what else was Meyer to do?
Gene Smith should be gone and Meyer reinstated now - he has sat for three weeks.
You could tell Urban was not happy at all and probably didn't agree with the suspension - most likely why it took 12 hours to get to this point today.
Totally agree. Drake is going to have a short career as President, UM will be back and Gene is on a shorter leash.

I think it took 12 hours because UM was totally against ANY for of punishment on top of time already served. There are zero finding that show a cause in his contract for termination over the 2015 allegations.

He did what he was supposed to do and reported it up. Gene didnt report it to Compliance so they both get punished. Completely unfair.

I believe that UM took the suspension to keep Gene employed. For some odd reason, I think they have a great working relationship and he ate part of Gene's turd sandwich for him so that Gene didnt get canned.

Urban was not happy and it is well known that only one part of those meetings wanted him suspeneded.....Pres. Drake.

The BOT wanted him reinstated immediately. I dont think this story ends well for Drake. And the guy sounds like a homeless man in front of a camera.
I don't believe it was only Drake vs the BOT. Drake works for the BOT, if it was 20 vs 1 in favor of reinstating Meyer immediately, that's what would've happened.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Of course if the NCAA gets involved now, all bets are off. What might they do? 5 year cause-allow?

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

dazed&confused wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:52 am Of course if the NCAA gets involved now, all bets are off. What might they do? 5 year cause-allow?
Meyer was in compliance. Kirk Herbstreit in his interview said Meyer relied on the Police. That proves people knew of the “allegations” and nothing was ever proven. Gene Smith knew, attorneys knew, family knew, parents knew - who didn’t know?
Herbstreit also mentioned the idea of hiring someone to police everyone. Meyer cannot dedicate the time it takes to winning National Championships and police that many people. And we all know he is hired to win Championships.

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

I guess there are a team of lawyers lining up , as stated earlier on this forum, to negotiate the buy-out of the rest of his contract because Urban would not accept a suspension. :lol: :oops: :lol:

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

smurray wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:27 am
dazed&confused wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:52 am Of course if the NCAA gets involved now, all bets are off. What might they do? 5 year cause-allow?
Meyer was in compliance. Kirk Herbstreit in his interview said Meyer relied on the Police. That proves people knew of the “allegations” and nothing was ever proven. Gene Smith knew, attorneys knew, family knew, parents knew - who didn’t know?
Herbstreit also mentioned the idea of hiring someone to police everyone. Meyer cannot dedicate the time it takes to winning National Championships and police that many people. And we all know he is hired to win Championships.
I agree urban was in compliance I don’t disagree. I think the question or thing here since he knew about all this for years and if all the altercations about her coming to his place of work drunk in all is being in compliance really enough.

It was proven joe paterno reported and warned and he didn’t do enough. I think at a big university public figure like that the problem is he used poor common sense then to keep smith around the program. Did it deserve punishment I don’t know is it piss poor judgement yes.

I have let several people go and told them you go get your craziness straightened up then if you want to come back you will be welcomed with open arms. But you have to square this away. Because your home situation is disrupting this environment..

I am saying he is guilty of not being a leader and a man. And in that position I am not ok with it.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

The report mentioned a lot about the DV arrest in Florida and kind of insinuated Meyer shouldn't have brought that baggage with him to Columbus. The investigators also thought Meyer didn't intentionally lie at the BIG media day but thought Meyer wasn't completely forthcoming during the investigation, even going as far as to looking into how to delete older text messages. Not Good! Ask Hillary about that it will your worst nightmare. The report also said Meyer mentioned how he had a hard time firing Smith because it was Earle Bruce's Grandson, surprise surprise I told you guys that all along. I am glad he kept his job for the football part of me but the University for sure took another reputation hit.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Watched ESPN2 a little bit ago. Man was they ever disagreeing on the punishment. They thought he got off easy. One guy was saying in so many words it was the easy part of the schedule, and suspend him against a few big ten teams in his own conference. :lol: :lol: Big opinions everywhere. Meyer is in for a long haul getting people across the country to forget about it and expect zipped lips about it. :lol: :lol: I believe it won't bother him a bit what is said. He just comes across to me much don't bother him, except for losing a game or two. :lol: :lol:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

ESPN is a joke....haven't they just about clean the room from all Ohio State people that use to be there? And I said just about. There is still time. Now if this would have happened to Mr Bammer they would be calling foul.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

ESPN was definitely salty today, but what do you expect from a network that has taken a hard social justice turn the past couple years.

Man do I hate Michelle Beadle. They should have never pulled Mike Golic from the morning show and replaced him with those two clowns.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

This comes after Greg Schiano was hired at Tennessee then a student uprising because he was at Penn St during the Sandusky mess. Even though no evidence to prove he had knowledge or involved in anyway.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

se-alum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:06 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 am
smurray wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:13 pm Meyers superior Gene Smith knew of the allegations in 2015, what else was Meyer to do?
Gene Smith should be gone and Meyer reinstated now - he has sat for three weeks.
You could tell Urban was not happy at all and probably didn't agree with the suspension - most likely why it took 12 hours to get to this point today.
Totally agree. Drake is going to have a short career as President, UM will be back and Gene is on a shorter leash.

I think it took 12 hours because UM was totally against ANY for of punishment on top of time already served. There are zero finding that show a cause in his contract for termination over the 2015 allegations.

He did what he was supposed to do and reported it up. Gene didnt report it to Compliance so they both get punished. Completely unfair.

I believe that UM took the suspension to keep Gene employed. For some odd reason, I think they have a great working relationship and he ate part of Gene's turd sandwich for him so that Gene didnt get canned.

Urban was not happy and it is well known that only one part of those meetings wanted him suspeneded.....Pres. Drake.

The BOT wanted him reinstated immediately. I dont think this story ends well for Drake. And the guy sounds like a homeless man in front of a camera.
I don't believe it was only Drake vs the BOT. Drake works for the BOT, if it was 20 vs 1 in favor of reinstating Meyer immediately, that's what would've happened.
You're actually wrong. The investigative committee was formed to provide the proof and details from digging and doing interviews on everyone involved. They didn't make the decisions, only the information.

That information was given to the board ALONG with recommendations. The BOT discussed the information given to them from the committee to make their final recommendation to Drake.

Make no mistake about it, Drake made the decision and it was his decision the entire time.

It took so long in private session yesterday, based on those interviewed after the final decision was made, because the BOT recommended immediate reinstatement for Meyer and "time served away from his team" as any and all punishment. Drake disagreed and was dead set on suspending Urban. So they continued to go back and forth for hours.

Drake ultimately wouldn't budge, went against the BOT's recommendation. By doing so, he ultimately went against the BOT and I dont see both him and Urban working together longer than this year and perhaps next.

One of them will be moving on. Based on Drake going against the bot and then painfully stumbling through the presser, he probably doesn't have a tremendous time left at OSU.

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

I think Meyer, at some point maybe before the suspension is over but more than likely after the season, resigns because he doesn't want to become a distraction to Tosu. He will leave financially well off due to a contractual buyout.

Tosu doesn't want to have a lame duck coach for this season so Meyer will be back after his suspension. I also believe that they part ways with Gene Smith in the near future.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Mister Bee wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:18 am I think Meyer, at some point maybe before the suspension is over but more than likely after the season, resigns because he doesn't want to become a distraction to Tosu. He will leave financially well off due to a contractual buyout.

Tosu doesn't want to have a lame duck coach for this season so Meyer will be back after his suspension. I also believe that they part ways with Gene Smith in the near future.
There's no buyout if he resigns.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Otto wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:18 pm ESPN was definitely salty today, but what do you expect from a network that has taken a hard social justice turn the past couple years.

Man do I hate Michelle Beadle. They should have never pulled Mike Golic from the morning show and replaced him with those two clowns.
Now Michelle Beadle will not be watching football this year. Only if Mark May would support and follow her in not watching football.

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

se-alum wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:54 am
Mister Bee wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:18 am I think Meyer, at some point maybe before the suspension is over but more than likely after the season, resigns because he doesn't want to become a distraction to Tosu. He will leave financially well off due to a contractual buyout.

There's no buyout if he resigns.
I understand that but some deep pocket booster will provide the money.

Return to “College Sports”