AAF Football Already On Life Support ? (Now Dead)

Omega
SEOPS H

AAF Football Already On Life Support ? (Now Dead)

Post by Omega »

Really not surprising. From NBC Sports:

Tom Dundon, the majority owner of the Alliance of American Football, is sounding the alarm that his league could be one-and-done.

Dundon told USA Today that the AAF may need the NFL Players Association to agree to allow young NFL players to play in the AAF next year, and if that doesn’t happen there may not be a next year for the AAF.

“If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can’t be a development league,” said Dundon. “We are looking at our options, one of which is discontinuing the league.”

Dundon bought into the AAF shortly after the inaugural season launched in February, and he indicated that he saw it as a long-term investment. But he has also indicated that he sees the future of the league as being an official minor league of the NFL. If he can’t work out such a deal with both NFL players and NFL owners, he may not keep the league afloat much longer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... to-year-2/
Last edited by Omega on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: AAF Football Already On Life Support ?

Post by Omega »

Well, the AAF will not live to complete its first season. From the LA Times:

The Alliance of American Football will suspend football operations on Tuesday, according to multiple media reports.

Majority owner Tom Dundon is said to be acting on his own with this decision, with other high-ranking league officials opposed to the move.

It is unknown at this time how long operations will be suspended or if the league is shutting down for good. Games scheduled for this weekend will not be played.

The AAF, a spring football league founded by Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian, was launched in February. Dundon, the owner of the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes, made a $250-million investment in the league soon after. The Athletic reported that the new funds helped the league meet its payroll after the first week, but the AAF denied that it was a bailout.

Last week, Dundon said the league might fold unless the NFL Players Assn. allowed young players from NFL rosters to participate.

The AAF has two weeks remaining on its regular-season schedule before the four-team playoffs, which are slated for late April.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-aa ... story.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
mattash
Site Admin

Re: AAF Football Already On Life Support ? (Now Dead)

Post by mattash »

XFL needs to pick up San Antonio . they had a great fan base

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I agree with the XFL picking up San Antonio.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I hate this. I was really enjoying in. and they were not in direct competition with the nfl. but more a developmental league. it was just what the dr. ordered for us dudes who mourn after the end of the season. I loved the coaches that they had. I didn't care for the no kickoffs. but I liked everything else. there should be no reason that this league should not prosper the way it was set up.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I had watched every game, minus one half of one game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it was better football than a lot of people thought who had only occasionally viewed. I had seen a considerable amount myself lcf, but nothing like you had.
I'd probably seen close to 1/2 of them.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Hopefully the XFL, can last.

Return to “Pro Sports”