Did Ironton Close Down Their Weight Program

Game day
All State

Did Ironton Close Down Their Weight Program

Post by Game day »

I have heard the weight program was shut down because it was causing issues with the Basketball practice. If this is true what are the football players doing?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Did Ironton Close Down Their Weight Program

Post by Tigercannon71 »

That's what a few of the players I have talked to have said.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

This could bring a negative impact to Football if this is true... However I think the Non-Basketball playing Football players should have a right to use it.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Wow, never heard of such a thing. Could hurt them.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Ironton must be turning into a round ball school!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

This is some of the most important time for a football team. If this is true some thing should be done. And if the Head Coach allowed it to happen then it is time for change. I would take it up with the AD but I heard he is the one that shut it down.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Game day wrote:I have heard the weight program was shut down because it was causing issues with the Basketball practice. If this is true what are the football players doing?
This is the right thing to do. Don't you guys know that lifting weights throws off your shot?

Docw
Riding the Bench

Post by Docw »

The AD is the basketball coach

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Jim Ryan wrote:
Game day wrote:I have heard the weight program was shut down because it was causing issues with the Basketball practice. If this is true what are the football players doing?
This is the right thing to do. Don't you guys know that lifting weights throws off your shot?[/quot

I hope you are kidding us! But why stop the non football players from lifting?

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Docw wrote:The AD is the basketball coach
Well that says it all!! This is a real conflict of interest. I heard he did not care about other sports.

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

What would Bob do?....The myth...The legend....The idol of many Coaches and fans in Lawrence County. What would Bob do? :)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

well I can tell you that would not fly with bob. that much I know for a fact.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

also I don't know that there is any truth to it as well. if true, shame on whoever is responsible.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Palladin
Waterboy

Post by Palladin »

The Inspector wrote:What would Bob do?....The myth...The legend....The idol of many Coaches and fans in Lawrence County. What would Bob do? :)
The big concern here would be : will this make the tigers look slow on film next year? I think so.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

osu 77 wrote:This is some of the most important time for a football team. If this is true some thing should be done. And if the Head Coach allowed it to happen then it is time for change. I would take it up with the AD but I heard he is the one that shut it down.

Probably so, the AD is the Basketball Coach lol

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Weight lifting just needs to be modified for those playing basketball. Basketball you still need strength to not get pushed around. NBA teams have weight rooms. Besides not all football players play basketball. Just goes to show that the program has no one to led the program correctly.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

farmer wrote:Weight lifting just needs to be modified for those playing basketball. Basketball you still need strength to not get pushed around. NBA teams have weight rooms. Besides not all football players play basketball. Just goes to show that the program has no one to led the program correctly.
Excellent Point.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

All sports u better lift and eat right. Eating right is 80% of being athletic

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Who said you had to wait until after school when everyone is in the weight room or field house or gym to work out or train. I know a lot of local teams that have 6AM workouts and 3:30PM workouts. If the weight room is busy after school lift before school.

The days of "traditional" weight training (bench/clean/squat) are over. Athletes need to be strong and fast, speed and agility have value as well as just brute strength. If you can bench 500 but can't move laterally then you aren't helping your team.

Eating being equated to 80% of athleticism is way off the mark if you ask me. Athleticism typically has some degree of correlation to your gene pool. The remaining is dedication and work ethic which include a balance of strength/speed/agility and how you fuel your body.

Also, if kids are relying on the school for off season workouts and not seeking out their own time then they will be left behind. What is wrong with a group of kids going on their own to a local gym or Y (or someone's house for that matter) and doing it on their own. Competition is so fierce these days that an after school hour-long workout is just not enough to separate you from your competition. More on your own in addition to what the coach is doing after school is needed today.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That's a pretty common correlation lifters go by. You only build muscle in the kitchen. Lifting is bulking or cutting. You can lift as much as you want but if you don't have a caloric surplus you didn't gain any muscle.

Return to “Football”