Minford Football

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Minford Football

Post by Crab's Brother »

Based on what I have been told, if there is a district in the area that isn't exactly in a position to "create a teaching job", it's Minford.

It also amazes me how some people believe a school district can just create a position for a person. It is really not an indication on things being the same ole same ole at Minford. It is the facts of how school systems work.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

If the guy has a teaching degree, and he’s the right guy for the job, you do whatever you can do to get him there. If that means moving some teachers around to get him into the right area, do it. If that means hiring him as a floating sub, do it. If that means upsetting the teachers association, who cares? They don’t run the show.

If your school district is on such a tight budget that hiring one teacher too many for one year will put you in a precarious financial position, the problem started way before now.

The best thing that Minford could do is get this hire right. You cannot let one half of one percent of your budget stop you if you truly feel this is the right guy. If you don’t feel that way, don’t lie in the community and say the budget is what stopped you.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:44 pm If the guy has a teaching degree, and he’s the right guy for the job, you do whatever you can do to get him there. If that means moving some teachers around to get him into the right area, do it. If that means hiring him as a floating sub, do it. If that means upsetting the teachers association, who cares? They don’t run the show.

If your school district is on such a tight budget that hiring one teacher too many for one year will put you in a precarious financial position, the problem started way before now.

The best thing that Minford could do is get this hire right. You cannot let one half of one percent of your budget stop you if you truly feel this is the right guy. If you don’t feel that way, don’t lie in the community and say the budget is what stopped you.
You can’t do that. Teacher union would be on speed dial. Teachers have certain areas they can only teach. Not like the old days. Also. If you’re forcing it. Not the right hire

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TigerBob wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:44 pm If the guy has a teaching degree, and he’s the right guy for the job, you do whatever you can do to get him there. If that means moving some teachers around to get him into the right area, do it. If that means hiring him as a floating sub, do it. If that means upsetting the teachers association, who cares? They don’t run the show.

No offense here but sounds like you have no idea how school budgets work and how messed up a lot of them truly are already. My only thing with the hire or the offer it sounds like is that the powers to be already know how things stand within the budget or what can be done. Because if it’s not something that can be worked out probably not the person u should be offering.

I have heard of cases where a school made an offer thinking they could make certain moves to entice a coach. However, in the end it was moves they couldn’t make and they tried to get the coach to adjust to the situation and he walked.

I mean it’s great to sit there as a couch coach and say they should do this and this, presto it’s done. Sorry just much more to it than that especially for schools already operating in the red.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:29 pm

No offense here but sounds like you have no idea how school budgets work and how messed up a lot of them truly are already. My only thing with the hire or the offer it sounds like is that the powers to be already know how things stand within the budget or what can be done. Because if it’s not something that can be worked out probably not the person u should be offering.

I have heard of cases where a school made an offer thinking they could make certain moves to entice a coach. However, in the end it was moves they couldn’t make and they tried to get the coach to adjust to the situation and he walked.

I mean it’s great to sit there as a couch coach and say they should do this and this, presto it’s done. Sorry just much more to it than that especially for schools already operating in the red.
I think he may actually have a job offer, aside from the coaching job, not actually at Minford, but a special needs school.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

falcon1 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:45 am
greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:29 pm

I think he may actually have a job offer, aside from the coaching job, not actually at Minford, but a special needs school.
Yes. They’ve found him a job at ESC, with a proposal of him teaching there a year and then finding a position at Minford the following year. Also trying to find his wife a job, she works in the medical field. I’ve been told he’s not sold on the idea of not having a guaranteed teaching position at Minford. Which is fair imo

The powers at be met with he and his wife a few nights ago, and was told it went well. Just still trying to iron out the details.

As far as the “major adjustment”, he is from the area, he and his wife have been trying to move back for sometime. I was told he had a teaching job secured at Burg 4 years ago but they didn’t have a role/position on the coaching staff atm to incorporate him so he passed.

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

Ok, so interesting fact here. Lester is the husband of
(Current West OC) Irwin’s sister. Does this possibly mean he joins him in Minford? Not too far fetched in my opinion. I mean he did apply for the position himself.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

SiderSammy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:41 am Ok, so interesting fact here. Lester is the husband of
(Current West OC) Irwin’s sister. Does this possibly mean he joins him in Minford? Not too far fetched in my opinion. I mean he did apply for the position himself.
Good chance he’ll be on staff. Lester will call plays tho imo

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:28 pm
SiderSammy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:41 am Ok, so interesting fact here. Lester is the husband of
Good possibility. It will be interesting when the new gets broke, Considering he currently coaches some of our kids in Basketball.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

The contract with the teachers’ association is a binding legal agreement. Most spell out the rules for seniority very clearly (with multiple tiebreakers when seniority is equal).

A district breaks that protocol to hire a coach, they will not only be dealing with OEA, the new-hire coach will find himself losing the support of his fellow teachers. It would be very difficult to build a program in a building where the rest of the staff is again you from Day One.

FourEyes
Waterboy

Post by FourEyes »

SiderSammy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:52 pm
Good possibility. It will be interesting when the new gets broke, Considering he currently coaches some of our kids in Basketball.
I’m pretty sure Irwin only has one sister and she is married to a L. Lester and already lives in Minford.

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

FourEyes wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:23 am

I’m pretty sure Irwin only has one sister and she is married to a L. Lester and already lives in Minford.
Coincidence?

FourEyes
Waterboy

Post by FourEyes »

SiderSammy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:56 am

Coincidence?
That two men share the same last name, coming from the same small area, chances are they’re related somewhere in the family tree. Point of reference is Irwin sister is not married to the Lester that was offered the job. Coach Irwin may or may not be on staff, but it won’t be because he’s the brother-in-law.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

FourEyes wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:20 am
Coincidence?
That two men share the same last name, coming from the same small area, chances are they’re related somewhere in the family tree. Point of reference is Irwin sister is not married to the Lester that was offered the job. Coach Irwin may or may not be on staff, but it won’t be because he’s the brother-in-law.
I think its time to move on to the next man up ! Too much stalling, could mean trouble. Need to stick to the plan, and don`t start catering.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

falcon1 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:56 pm

Coincidence?
I think its time to move on to the next man up ! Too much stalling, could mean trouble. Need to stick to the plan, and don`t start catering.
A lot of schools don’t announce (and tell the coach not to announce) unless board action has been taken. I doubt a BOE is going to call a special session just to hire a football coach.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Ironton board hired Salmons from Cabell before he got to tell his bosses and he backed out. Gotta have ducks in a row.

CuckooNest
Riding the Bench

Post by CuckooNest »

falcon1 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:56 pm

Coincidence?
If he’s the right guy take your time, imo.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Most schools have special BOE Meetings to hire a coach, especially if it’s an extended time before the next meeting. Minford not doing this while allowing all of this to leak to the public is a fiasco. Minford does not care about Football. It’s basketball, baseball, soccer, track, then football. They do not want football to succeed as that will hurt basketball and soccer. The new coach will be a figurehead.

The Lester’s mentioned here are not the same person.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:05 pm Most schools have special BOE Meetings to hire a coach, especially if it’s an extended time before the next meeting. Minford not doing this while allowing all of this to leak to the public is a fiasco. Minford does not care about Football. It’s basketball, baseball, soccer, track, then football. They do not want football to succeed as that will hurt basketball and soccer. The new coach will be a figurehead.

The Lester’s mentioned here are not the same person.
Correct

Special board meetings happen all the time to hire people

If Minford has a hire ready to go, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t have a special meeting when they go back to school

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

How are things in Muletown? It’s been really quiet.

WWE HALL OF FAME

Return to “Football”