Minford Football

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Re: Minford Football

Post by SiderSammy »

CuckooNest wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:19 pm Fairland website says Melvin Cunningham was OC and Google search shows he resigned to take the HC at Murray (KY).

Is this the same guy or someone else on staff there?
If this is true, I think that is a good hire. He played at Marshall And the NFL, as well as the AFL.

I just read something from Sosa And it stated that he retired from Fairland as head coach in April 2023, so I don’t think it’s the guy

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

transplant wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:31 pm JL? Does this kid need a teaching position too?
Initials JM -- not sure on teaching position

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Hmm. Thank for the info.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

I heard from a Fairland guy close to the football program it’s Jordan Michael he was a 2017 graduate from Fairland.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

It’s hard to believe that they chose this young guy over the ones listed on here that applied, Unless they all declined because of no job. I guess it’s par for the course really.

WWE HALL OF FAME
SOC_Fan08
Waterboy

Post by SOC_Fan08 »

Bfan99 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:46 pm I heard from a Fairland guy close to the football program it’s Jordan Michael he was a 2017 graduate from Fairland.
This is a Concerning hiring if he is that young. Hopefully he has experience of some sort.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

SiderSammy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:41 am Ok, so interesting fact here. Lester is the husband of
(Current West OC) Irwin’s sister. Does this possibly mean he joins him in Minford? Not too far fetched in my opinion. I mean he did apply for the position himself.
The Lester that applied has no ties or anything to do with Irwin

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

If Minford is going with a first time head coach who is that young, I hope they surround him with some veteran assistants. There is so much non-coaching crap a HC has to deal with. Would be nice to have some vets help him navigate that part of the job.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

My understanding is that he will have a experienced veteran with him. Minford folks need to be patient. Everyone has to have their first job sometime.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

In May 2017, Coal Grove hired a head football coach who was in his early-mid-20s, and six months later they were playing for a regional championship. Gallia's coach who just left was 24 when he was hired and has an outstanding record that landed him a Division I HS job. Everyone has to start somewhere. Give the young man a chance, he may surprise you.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

Jordan Michael coached under Melvin Cunningham at Fairland. Was the Defensive Coordinator at Fairland for the 2022 season. Young guy who is hungry to find his chance to build a program. Hopefully it works out for both sides the guy will work his tail off to build a program that’s the biggest thing he did under Cunningham at Fairland he was always trying to grow as a coach and a leader

HatTrick
Riding the Bench

Post by HatTrick »

Good luck to Michael Jordan- hope you help revive muletown

Sidenote: LeBron is still better

SOC_Fan08
Waterboy

Post by SOC_Fan08 »

OVC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:09 am In May 2017, Coal Grove hired a head football coach who was in his early-mid-20s, and six months later they were playing for a regional championship. Gallia's coach who just left was 24 when he was hired and has an outstanding record that landed him a Division I HS job. Everyone has to start somewhere. Give the young man a chance, he may surprise you.
Very True… I hope the young man can bring some juice to the program! Good luck to coach Jordan.

The Voice aka LR
Waterboy

Post by The Voice aka LR »

You guys hired Michael Jordan? Thats INCREDIBLE! Obviously knew he had a basketball background and knew he dabbled in baseball. No idea he sould coach football but I guess I aint surprised by hime being able to do anything.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

OVC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:09 am In May 2017, Coal Grove hired a head football coach who was in his early-mid-20s, and six months later they were playing for a regional championship. Gallia's coach who just left was 24 when he was hired and has an outstanding record that landed him a Division I HS job. Everyone has to start somewhere. Give the young man a chance, he may surprise you.
I agree to give him a chance. Hopefully the school board lets him do his job unlike what happened to these other coaches…

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Parents needs hands off. Let this coach revamp pee wee and Junior high. Give him time to rebuild Minford into a competitor.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

got a cuzzo in Lawrence county said this guy seems like a good dude and will work hard

whats minford got to lose? It can’t be worse than it has been lol hope he does well would like to see that program decent again

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

I believe Minford losses a lot of seniors and most of the OL/DL and the stud RB, it’s going to be a tough job for the young coach. I hear kids are no longer wanting to play football and switching to soccer. Not a lot of talent coming up in the lower grades.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Bfan99 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:28 am I believe Minford losses a lot of seniors and most of the OL/DL and the stud RB, it’s going to be a tough job for the young coach. I hear kids are no longer wanting to play football and switching to soccer. Not a lot of talent coming up in the lower grades.
I hope those kids reconsider and give the new coach a chance. Minford 7th grade has some good talent, but the 8th and 9th grade classes look down.

Good to see Minford try something different with the outside hire…now it’s time for the community and kids to support the new coaching staff.*

CuckooNest
Riding the Bench

Post by CuckooNest »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:49 pm Based on what I have been told, if there is a district in the area that isn't exactly in a position to "create a teaching job", it's Minford.

It also amazes me how some people believe a school district can just create a position for a person. It is really not an indication on things being the same ole same ole at Minford. It is the facts of how school systems work.
I think that’s a false narrative. If you look on the ODE website they’re in similar financial situation as Green, Wheelersburg, Clay, New Boston.

None as good as Valley though with $17,000,000 in cash and $13,000,000 yearly expenses.

Return to “Football”