November 10, 2023 Barnesville 13 - 36 Wheelersburg

Jet7158
Waterboy

Re: RD 3-DV Region 19 -#7 Wheelersburg vs. # 3 Barnesville

Post by Jet7158 »

This game will be much closer than you think. Barnesville is much improved from last year. They have several backs that run the ball hard with good size and speed. The QB this year can really stretch the field passing and has a cannon. No where near the runner last years was though. They have a fast Defense and are very stout against the run.

Wheelersburg doesn’t seem to have the skill position like they did last year. #25 is a great back and has the quickness to get outside and hurt you. Too predictable with their wildcat though. A good team will snuff that out like HP did. QB struggles with accuracy and can’t stretch the field very well. I look for it to be a slug fest and a great game. Barnesville lose two starting linemen early with season ending. If not for that I would definitely be picking Barnesville. With that I think it will be a toss up and whoever makes the least mistakes walks away with this one.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

IMO I think this game might be alot closer than people think I know Barnsville schedule is really weak but they just beat a pretty good Columbus academy team I haven't heard anything about that game how it went or anything so Burg better not be looking ahead to maybe a rematch with the tigers But if Burg plays like they have been no turnovers and very few penalties and play physical I think they win by 2 scores maybe more so hopefully Burg will have their A game Friday and safe travels to everyone going can't wait and GOBURG!!!!!

Burg grad 85
TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

I think this game will be a dogfight. Burg playing really good and seem to have found their groove. Watched Barnesville vs Academy and I was impressed. Good size, running back runs hard, and qb looks like he can throw it. In my opinion they look like a better team than they were last year. Will be Burgs toughest test since Prep.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TomUnessa wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:21 pm I think this game will be a dogfight. Burg playing really good and seem to have found their groove. Watched Barnesville vs Academy and I was impressed. Good size, running back runs hard, and qb looks like he can throw it. In my opinion they look like a better team than they were last year. Will be Burgs toughest test since Prep.
I agree. I think there’s some things burg can do offensively against them. It looks like depth might come into play. Burgs defense will have to be sound. Try to force Barnesville in third and longs. Their QB looks super athletic and gets after it. At this stage, they are all tough games.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Burg looks like they've greatly improved since the HP game. Is the commitment to the running game the reason for this? I don't see Barnesville keeping this close, and my money is on Burg in a rematch vs Ironton or HP.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:13 pm Burg looks like they've greatly improved since the HP game. Is the commitment to the running game the reason for this? I don't see Barnesville keeping this close, and my money is on Burg in a rematch vs Ironton or HP.
Not really. They still pass, I just think the sophomore has gotten better and they may have tightened up things for him so he can be more proficient. The kid is pretty good. Probably one of the calmest pocket QB we’ve had since Salyers.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

scott1297 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:42 pm IMO I think this game might be alot closer than people think I know Barnsville schedule is really weak but they just beat a pretty good Columbus academy team I haven't heard anything about that game how it went or anything so Burg better not be looking ahead to maybe a rematch with the tigers But if Burg plays like they have been no turnovers and very few penalties and play physical I think they win by 2 scores maybe more so hopefully Burg will have their A game Friday and safe travels to everyone going can't wait and GOBURG!!!!!
I agree…if we handle our business it will go about like it did last year…close for a good while but I think our depth will end up being the difference. At least two of their linemen, #53 and #63,played both ways the entire game (or at least the vast majority of it). Barnesville got the go ahead TD on a sleeper play with the wr going to the sideline out of the huddle as though he was subbing out and hanging back. Academy kicker hit a 40 yarder to bring it to 17-19 but then missed a 28 yarder to put them ahead with around 4 minutes to go.

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:45 pm Just announced game is being played at Hamilton Township. Great stadium. Burg played there in 2013beating Martins Ferry 45-0.
Thanks for the compliment, we enjoy being good hosts. I was at that 2013 game. Burg was tough that night!
Last edited by Zunardo on Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

After watching film on Barnesville they look improved from last year. I still think Burg gets the win but can see it being close. Burg by 10

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:24 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:47 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:54 am

I look for Warren to have a big game. Plus, Burg didn't have the receivers like they have in Lattimore and Evans this year. They can't load the box to shut down the run.

Burg's defense is playing about the best I have seen out of a Burg team since the 2017 team. They get a lot of helmets to the ball and then they flat out drill the runner, hence the two fumbles early last night.

Risner might be one of the best DE's I've ever seen at Burg.
Interesting, I’ve watched every Burg game and not had that thought once about Risner. Heck of a player for sure not denying that. Just hadn’t thought of him as one to the Best in school history

I guess I needed to put a JMO because that's just what it is, my opinion. Your opinion is different. That is fine.

I think he has been playing lights out these last 5-6 weeks and has disrupted a lot of plays in the backfield and forced the QB to throw early or get the sack. Hell, at least 4-5 times last night he almost took the handoff on the play.
He's very good, but going back even just the last 15 or so years I would still have guys like Alex Prater, JT Conley, Nick Kemper, all 3 Parsley Brothers ahead of him.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Zunardo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:44 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:45 pm Just announced game is being played at Hamilton Township. Great stadium. Burg played there in 2013beating Martins Ferry 45-0.
Thanks for the compliment, we enjoy being good hosts. I was at that 2013 game. Burg was tough that night!

If this game would have been played anywhere else would have been a huge mistake. This is the best option for both schools. Easy to get to. Ton of parking and great facility and host. I was at that 2013 game as well and was very pleased with everything you all did.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

522Pirate wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:12 pm
scott1297 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:42 pm IMO I think this game might be alot closer than people think I know Barnsville schedule is really weak but they just beat a pretty good Columbus academy team I haven't heard anything about that game how it went or anything so Burg better not be looking ahead to maybe a rematch with the tigers But if Burg plays like they have been no turnovers and very few penalties and play physical I think they win by 2 scores maybe more so hopefully Burg will have their A game Friday and safe travels to everyone going can't wait and GOBURG!!!!!
I agree…if we handle our business it will go about like it did last year…close for a good while but I think our depth will end up being the difference. At least two of their linemen, #53 and #63,played both ways the entire game (or at least the vast majority of it). Barnesville got the go ahead TD on a sleeper play with the wr going to the sideline out of the huddle as though he was subbing out and hanging back. Academy kicker hit a 40 yarder to bring it to 17-19 but then missed a 28 yarder to put them ahead with around 4 minutes to go.

Someone also told me that Academy's QB got knocked out of the game in the 2nd half. If so, that had to play a big factor with them. I still think there schedule is very weak with all of the DVI and DVII teams they play. It would be like Burg playing all of the SOCI schools around here but that's JMO!!! Burg will be by far the best team they have faced all year.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

If it was mentioned before I apologize, but what is barnesvilles strength of schedule?

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

packers80 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:25 pm If it was mentioned before I apologize, but what is barnesvilles strength of schedule?
Fantastic 50 has Barnesville with the #90 of 106 hardest D5 schedule...4 D7's...best win, other than Academy, was probably over Bellaire

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:39 pm
packers80 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:25 pm If it was mentioned before I apologize, but what is barnesvilles strength of schedule?
Fantastic 50 has Barnesville with the #90 of 106 hardest D5 schedule...4 D7's...best win, other than Academy, was probably over Bellaire
Thanks

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Burg flexes their muscles yet again not their fault for who’ve they’ve had to play but they just straight up dominated each team
Burg 28
Barnesville 7

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Good luck Pirates in your matchup against Barnesville.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

Irregardless of anything else, Barnesville is 12-0. Nobody in the Burg will be taking them lightly. It should be a great ballgame and let's hope the Burg can get another victory. I find it interesting as I look at schedules the Burg is one of the few teams who have pitched a shut out the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Defense wins championships.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

The Nature Boy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:01 am Irregardless of anything else, Barnesville is 12-0. Nobody in the Burg will be taking them lightly. It should be a great ballgame and let's hope the Burg can get another victory. I find it interesting as I look at schedules the Burg is one of the few teams who have pitched a shut out the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Defense wins championships.
Barnesville is 12-0 AND will be highly motivated due to last year’s loss to Burg. Very important that the Pirates not take this team lightly.

PointerHornet89
Waterboy

Post by PointerHornet89 »

Bring home a victory Pirates

Return to “Football”