16 Team Playoffs worth it?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 16 Team Playoffs worth it?

Post by EasternDspy »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:06 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:36 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:29 am

True, but this is a very rare case. Most of the first and second round games have been blood baths.

It’s just an additional week of wear and tear on these kids for the financial benefit of OHSAA!
That’s why they have 30 point running clock. Stop complaining about more football you old head. This isn’t about you it’s about the kids. Just being in the playoffs can kick start a program. You don’t have to go to the game if you think it will be lopsided. Also it makes it easier to schedule good games in the regular season. Taking losses won’t hurt you as much.
If you even played football, it must have been with one of the pathetic programs that rarely to never made the playoffs. And as for kickstarting your program, this will do nothing for that. Just putting your school in position to get thumped once again.

As for injury, anyone who has played football knows the toll it takes on the body, especially when playing deep into the playoffs. Each game and each week of practice is just additional risk for injury. And in this case for what? Participation trophies for crappy teams that have no business being in the playoffs? Sorry, but participation trophies are unnecessary.

Maybe you would take football injuries more seriously if you ever saw someone truly hurt to the point of impacting the rest of their lives. It’s a risk that is part of the game, but adding an unnecessary game to the schedule to make others feel good about themselves is definitely not worth the risk.
Springfield was 12 seed and made the state finals. You told me they didn’t deserve to make the playoffs. The team you are week 1 is not the team you are week 10. Having 16 team playoffs gives teams the ability to go out and play big games all season. In the 8 team format teams were going 10-0 and not making the playoffs. Best part of the 16 game playoff is the games are decided on the field not by computers. As I said earlier they’ve made rules to eliminate games getting out of hand. I’m sure If you asked those kids if they would rather end the season or play in the playoffs they’ll say playoffs every time.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I’ll never complain over more football

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Izladoom wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:30 pm I’ll never complain over more football
Thank you

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Pol pot wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:33 am
E High wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:27 pm
Pol pot wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:54 pm

Most states allow all teams in.
If you want them all in, play 8 regular season games. 10th week , those who get beat by 20-50 in first playoff game can pick up an extra game to make it a 10 game season. This whole ohio playoff system today, is a complete Joke.
I’m sure the powers that be will listen to your opinion and consider changes.
Nope. They don’t listen to anyone’s opinion. I’m sure you have the answer because this playoff system is a Joke.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

16 team is fine.Cut the regular season to 9 games.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:34 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:36 pm

That’s why they have 30 point running clock. Stop complaining about more football you old head. This isn’t about you it’s about the kids. Just being in the playoffs can kick start a program. You don’t have to go to the game if you think it will be lopsided. Also it makes it easier to schedule good games in the regular season. Taking losses won’t hurt you as much.
If you even played football, it must have been with one of the pathetic programs that rarely to never made the playoffs. And as for kickstarting your program, this will do nothing for that. Just putting your school in position to get thumped once again.

As for injury, anyone who has played football knows the toll it takes on the body, especially when playing deep into the playoffs. Each game and each week of practice is just additional risk for injury. And in this case for what? Participation trophies for crappy teams that have no business being in the playoffs? Sorry, but participation trophies are unnecessary.

Maybe you would take football injuries more seriously if you ever saw someone truly hurt to the point of impacting the rest of their lives. It’s a risk that is part of the game, but adding an unnecessary game to the schedule to make others feel good about themselves is definitely not worth the risk.
Springfield was 12 seed and made the state finals. You told me they didn’t deserve to make the playoffs. The team you are week 1 is not the team you are week 10. Having 16 team playoffs gives teams the ability to go out and play big games all season. In the 8 team format teams were going 10-0 and not making the playoffs. Best part of the 16 game playoff is the games are decided on the field not by computers. As I said earlier they’ve made rules to eliminate games getting out of hand. I’m sure If you asked those kids if they would rather end the season or play in the playoffs they’ll say playoffs every time.
You keep bringing up 1 team and ignoring the 139 other 12-16 seeds that got thumped.

Of course teams that had bad seasons would like to make the playoffs, but it’s ridiculous extending the season just so a team with a loosing record can feel better about themselves.

Hell, by your logic, OHSAA should extend the season an additional week and let all teams into the playoffs. We can then give every team a participation trophy!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:03 pm

You keep bringing up 1 team and ignoring the 139 other 12-16 seeds that got thumped.

Of course teams that had bad seasons would like to make the playoffs, but it’s ridiculous extending the season just so a team with a loosing record can feel better about themselves.

Hell, by your logic, OHSAA should extend the season an additional week and let all teams into the playoffs. We can then give every team a participation trophy!

You sound stupid. There was plenty of upsets last few years. You can cry all you want the playoffs are staying expanded. I’m still over here laughing about you bringing up injury by adding one game. Once again let’s decide games on the field.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

We get it you don’t want competition. You want the best teams to just fluff out the schedules.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I don’t know why anyone is still talking about it, it’s over it’s set in stone. They missed their best option for expansion when it should’ve been 12. Crying this isn’t right or fair or whatever is pointless as long as there’s a possibility for an upset and it happens and a 12 seed in D1 makes it to the state championship that will always trump what the other 100 plus teams do. It’s the old adage so you’re saying there’s a chance.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

It’s worth it

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:03 pm Hell, by your logic, OHSAA should extend the season an additional week and let all teams into the playoffs. We can then give every team a participation trophy!
Literally every other sport in the state gives these “participation trophies” since football is the only sport in which any teams are left out of the postseason tournament.

Ohio is right at the top of the list of fewest state champions (around 1% of schools win a state title, similar to TX, NY, & PA) and you are crybabying about letting too many kids play in a tournament. Dumb.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

EasternDspy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:44 pm

We get it you don’t want competition. You want the best teams to just fluff out the schedules.
I went to Burg. We were never afraid of competition. Would beat your school like a rented mule in every sport.

That said, I’ve also seen a friend nearly lose his life playing football. Watched him survive and spend the rest of his life handicapped. From being accepted to the Air Force academy to near death and severely handicapped.

I also have friends who went on to play major college ball. Have seen the wear and tear on their bodies. it can be brutal.

Obviously injury is a risk in football and frankly every sport. I just don’t see the need to increase the risk for meaningless games.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:49 pm I don’t know why anyone is still talking about it, it’s over it’s set in stone. They missed their best option for expansion when it should’ve been 12. Crying this isn’t right or fair or whatever is pointless as long as there’s a possibility for an upset and it happens and a 12 seed in D1 makes it to the state championship that will always trump what the other 100 plus teams do. It’s the old adage so you’re saying there’s a chance.
So why not let everyone in? Why stop at 16 If you truly believe “so you’re saying there’s a chance?”

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

enigmaax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:54 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:03 pm Hell, by your logic, OHSAA should extend the season an additional week and let all teams into the playoffs. We can then give every team a participation trophy!
Literally every other sport in the state gives these “participation trophies” since football is the only sport in which any teams are left out of the postseason tournament.

Ohio is right at the top of the list of fewest state champions (around 1% of schools win a state title, similar to TX, NY, & PA) and you are crybabying about letting too many kids play in a tournament. Dumb.
Because of the physical toll football takes! That’s why the tournament has been limited. Have any of you played the game?

As for your stats, are you saying all teams should make the playoffs, and Ohio should have many more divisions? We could have hundreds of divisions to guarantee more state winners. Would that make you happy?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:25 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:49 pm I don’t know why anyone is still talking about it, it’s over it’s set in stone. They missed their best option for expansion when it should’ve been 12. Crying this isn’t right or fair or whatever is pointless as long as there’s a possibility for an upset and it happens and a 12 seed in D1 makes it to the state championship that will always trump what the other 100 plus teams do. It’s the old adage so you’re saying there’s a chance.
So why not let everyone in? Why stop at 16 If you truly believe “so you’re saying there’s a chance?”
Ask OHSAA as I said you’re crying over something that isn’t getting changed and you’ve got no argument for change sorry man.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:47 pm
Ask OHSAA as I said you’re crying over something that isn’t getting changed and you’ve got no argument for change sorry man.
It’s not crying, it is debating a football topic on this board. Not trying to convince OHSAA to change anything.

I am allowed to have an opinion, and we are allowed to debate on this board, correct?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:47 pm

It’s not crying, it is debating a football topic on this board. Not trying to convince OHSAA to change anything.

I am allowed to have an opinion, and we are allowed to debate on this board, correct?
I’ll repeat myself on it, you simply have no argument for it or am I not allowed to let you know that?? Is there 16 teams in?? Yep, have you ever seen them back off the numbers?? Nope. So again you’ve got no argument for change, of course your opinion states there should be but OHSAA history dictates it’s incorrect.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:00 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:47 pm

I’ll repeat myself on it, you simply have no argument for it or am I not allowed to let you know that?? Is there 16 teams in?? Yep, have you ever seen them back off the numbers?? Nope. So again you’ve got no argument for change, of course your opinion states there should be but OHSAA history dictates it’s incorrect.
Allow me to do the same: I AM NOT TRYING TO CONVINCE OHSAA TO CHANGE THE NUMBER.

I simply disagree with those on this site that think 16 is better than 8. My reasoning for this is that it makes the season one week longer due to an unnecessary game (teams 10-16 just aren’t competitive), hence increasing the risk for possible injury.

Those on this site that disagree with me, claim more is better because more kids/teams get to experience the playoffs.

But again, this is just a debate on this site about whether the playoffs should be more or less teams. And I repeat: I AM NOT TRYING TO CONVINCE OHSAA TO CHANGE THE NUMBER.

You seem to think this debate is a waste of time. But instead of just ignoring this waste of time, you are on here dictating to others that they shouldn’t be debating it either because of how you feel and what you think.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:29 pm
enigmaax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:54 pm

Because of the physical toll football takes! That’s why the tournament has been limited. Have any of you played the game?

As for your stats, are you saying all teams should make the playoffs, and Ohio should have many more divisions? We could have hundreds of divisions to guarantee more state winners. Would that make you happy?
I’m not saying there should be more divisions, I’m pointing out that it is more difficult to win a state championship in Ohio than it is virtually any other state. On top of that, football is the only sport in the state that doesn’t include all its athletes in the postseason. The line about “participation trophies” is stupid. The only thing a postseason tournament does is give everyone a chance to win the most difficult trophy to win in the entire country.

I don’t buy your injury risk argument as genuine concern; I believe your opinion comes from this need to apply your idea of competitiveness, which largely comes from professional sports, to high school athletes. Even if it were exclusively about “participation trophies,” it’s high school; yes, there’s value merely in participation at that level.

Return to “Football”