October 20, 2023 Ironton 21 - 6 Portsmouth

Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: Big Rival (5-4) Portsmouth @ (8-1) Ironton

Post by Beergogglebluez »

LetsBeReal wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 pm It would of taken 2 miracle plays and an onside but that’s what the
At least try. I’m baffled.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 pm That was an ugly game. Ironton played horrible and Portsmouth I have no clue what was the game plan. No urgency, you’re down and you refuse to throw. It’s the same plays over and over, you line your team up with 30 seconds left to shake hands. I don’t get it but valley beat minford so maybe the Trojans will get the 16 seed and go back up next Friday.
They will cancel and name COVID… I thought you guys were rivals?

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Odd game all the way around. Trojans in it but took no chances late. I-town has looked totally dis-interested 2 weeks in a row, plus very undisciplined still. Just weird.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

packers80 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:50 pm Odd game all the way around. Trojans in it but took no chances late. I-town has looked totally dis-interested 2 weeks in a row, plus very undisciplined still. Just weird.
Ironton under Pendleton is always very undisciplined.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Ironton is definitely not clicking right now. The team being up since 4:30am didn’t help either. Ironton looked flat all night offensively and some of the play calling was questionable. Give Portsmouth credit tho they came ready to play

mattash
Site Admin

Re: October 20, 2023 Ironton 21 - 6 Portsmouth

Post by mattash »

October 20, 2023 Ironton 21 - 6 Portsmouth

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Heck of an effort by the Trojans. The defense really stepped up. Wasn’t the outcome the boys had hoped but they fought hard, didn’t roll over and made it a game for all 4 quarters. I won’t beat a dead horse, I’ll just say play calling is holding this team back tremendously. Congrats to Ironton on the win, #4 is a stud.

Who Dey!
LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:22 am Heck of an effort by the Trojans. The defense really stepped up. Wasn’t the outcome the boys had hoped but they fought hard, didn’t roll over and made it a game for all 4 quarters. I won’t beat a dead horse, I’ll just say play calling is holding this team back tremendously. Congrats to Ironton on the win, #4 is a stud.
I feel for y’all. Ironton was having an off night, the team was playing hard. Had lucky breaks. An upset was very unlikely but I felt like coaching kept it from being closer. Pendleton going for it was the right choice even with the fumble. That would have ended the game.

It just felt like there was a lot left on the table.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Another good season for Ironton. Time to transition to season two.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Portsmouth came to play.
Ironton tried to sleep walk through it.
If Ironton don't wake up and fix the problems they will get bounced.
I know it was a rivalry game but the penalties and bad snaps are something that has plaque Ironton all year long.

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

The ONLY bright spot in Irontons defense is the Patterson kid.. Their LBs seem lost or out of position.

Portsmouth is better than their record shows imo.I think they give Fairland a great game next week.

Ironton is a mess when it comes to offensive play calling. Probably the best collection of WRs in SEOhio and you can’t find a play to get them the ball? Baffling

The Roughing the kicker is unacceptable!

I don’t see this team winning regionals.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Ironton isn't crisp in any aspect of the game & haven't been. They looked sharper in the first three weeks of the season than they have the last 3 weeks.

Ironton has regressed as the season has progressed.

O line is slow in run game.
No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball
Can't sustain long mistake free drives and depends on being bailed out by a big play. Offense stalls and kills its momentum with mistakes and no consistent leverage at the Los.
Defense has been susceptible to being gashed by the run.

The offensive playcalling is inconsistent. There's no offensive unit with chemistry. The offensive rotations seem as random as the play calls and the play calls rather than attacking with a consistent approach, seems like it is more of a throw whatever against the wall and let's see what works approach. Still no identity or bread and butter philosophy. Two weeks to work on it and get by on talent but in 3 weeks if the execution and game plan have not improved. Ironton is in trouble.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:11 pm Ironton isn't crisp in any aspect of the game & haven't been. They looked sharper in the first three weeks of the season than they have the last 3 weeks.

No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball
Can't sustain long mistake free drives and depends on being bailed out by a big play. Offense stalls and kills its momentum with mistakes and no consistent leverage at the Los.

The offensive playcalling is inconsistent. There's no offensive unit with chemistry. The offensive rotations seem as random as the play calls and the play calls rather than attacking with a consistent approach, seems like it is more of a throw whatever against the wall and let's see what works approach. Still no identity or bread and butter philosophy. Two weeks to work on it and get by on talent but in 3 weeks if the execution and game plan have not improved. Ironton is in trouble.

If you commit to running it at Ironton between the tackles and creating a grind it out game Ironton is very vulnerable. Irontons offense has NOT been able to dictate pace in games this season. And they are not near as stout inside vs the run as they are dynamic and fast on the outside. Ironton has a weak mid section.

On offense commit to the run. Play some old fashioned bully ball - don't try to do too much.

And defensively - keep em in front of you - concede a bit on the short passes , cut down on the potential for big plays, and let Ironton kill themselves with their own mistakes when you apply and bring different pressure.

Ironton is impatient offensively in playcalling. - And it predisposes them to mistakes also.

That's how you beat Ironton right now.

sportphotos
JV Team

Post by sportphotos »

https://bobbiannphotos.smugmug.com/FOOT ... /n-VwFVwV/
There are some great pics of Portsmouth football players in this game..after get past the senior pics.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:18 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:11 pm Ironton isn't crisp in any aspect of the game & haven't been. They looked sharper in the first three weeks of the season than they have the last 3 weeks.

No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball

If you commit to running it at Ironton between the tackles and creating a grind it out game Ironton is very vulnerable. Irontons offense has NOT been able to dictate pace in games this season. And they are not near as stout inside vs the run as they are dynamic and fast on the outside. Ironton has a weak mid section.

On offense commit to the run. Play some old fashioned bully ball - don't try to do too much.

And defensively - keep em in front of you - concede a bit on the short passes , cut down on the potential for big plays, and let Ironton kill themselves with their own mistakes when you apply and bring different pressure.

Ironton is impatient offensively in playcalling. - And it predisposes them to mistakes also.

I just watched the game Ironton played it close they ran and ran.
I think they didn't want to show to much against Portsmouth and I am beginning to think the same against Gallia.
I will admit they need to clean up the penalties but i like #22 big and strong and 24 is a great complement to him

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

fielddaddy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:51 pm

No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball

I think they didn't want to show to much against Portsmouth and I am beginning to think the same against Gallia.
I will admit they need to clean up the penalties but i like #22 big and strong and 24 is a great complement to him
Rose colored lenses I'm afraid imo. This team is shakey rn.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Molly whoppers

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

packers80 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:56 pm Molly whoppers
Teams out of sorts and honestly looks vulnerable. If they play like they have the last few weeks Ironton is on alert immediately.

Sidenote: love my Tigers but I have said it before. I come on here to talk football, not write hallmark cards. Ironton looks unpredictable in a bad way offensively. Error plagued on both sides of the ball - ( undisciplined) and nothing looks fluid. The stated goal every year is a state title. So I grade per that standard.

If Ironton cannot sustain actual mistake free drives with better rhythm and continuity,
If Ironton cannot get their defense off the field faster,
Ironton is in trouble.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

fielddaddy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:51 pm

No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball

They didn't run the ball well at all.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Get the ball to #4 anyway you can. He doesn’t touch the ball near enough. He’s a threat to score every time he gets the ball .

Return to “Football”