October 20, 2023 Ironton 21 - 6 Portsmouth

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Re: October 20, 2023 Ironton 21 - 6 Portsmouth

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:11 pm Ironton isn't crisp in any aspect of the game & haven't been. They looked sharper in the first three weeks of the season than they have the last 3 weeks.

Ironton has regressed as the season has progressed.

O line is slow in run game.
No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball
Can't sustain long mistake free drives and depends on being bailed out by a big play. Offense stalls and kills its momentum with mistakes and no consistent leverage at the Los.
Defense has been susceptible to being gashed by the run.

The offensive playcalling is inconsistent. There's no offensive unit with chemistry. The offensive rotations seem as random as the play calls and the play calls rather than attacking with a consistent approach, seems like it is more of a throw whatever against the wall and let's see what works approach. Still no identity or bread and butter philosophy. Two weeks to work on it and get by on talent but in 3 weeks if the execution and game plan have not improved. Ironton is in trouble.
I UNFORTUNATELY AGREE WITH YOU.

Also, NO REASON IHS should not be pounding the ball w/Bevy of RB/FB ‘s available.

It’s as if they forget the MANY TALENTED RUNNING backs other teams drool over, but once developed strongly as a defensive player, they don’t get utilized in the run game efficiently.

BAFFLING!!!
Last edited by Tjhtygeverve on Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

fielddaddy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:51 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:18 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:11 pm Ironton isn't crisp in any aspect of the game & haven't been. They looked sharper in the first three weeks of the season than they have the last 3 weeks.

No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball
Can't sustain long mistake free drives and depends on being bailed out by a big play. Offense stalls and kills its momentum with mistakes and no consistent leverage at the Los.

The offensive playcalling is inconsistent. There's no offensive unit with chemistry. The offensive rotations seem as random as the play calls and the play calls rather than attacking with a consistent approach, seems like it is more of a throw whatever against the wall and let's see what works approach. Still no identity or bread and butter philosophy. Two weeks to work on it and get by on talent but in 3 weeks if the execution and game plan have not improved. Ironton is in trouble.

If you commit to running it at Ironton between the tackles and creating a grind it out game Ironton is very vulnerable. Irontons offense has NOT been able to dictate pace in games this season. And they are not near as stout inside vs the run as they are dynamic and fast on the outside. Ironton has a weak mid section.

On offense commit to the run. Play some old fashioned bully ball - don't try to do too much.

And defensively - keep em in front of you - concede a bit on the short passes , cut down on the potential for big plays, and let Ironton kill themselves with their own mistakes when you apply and bring different pressure.

Ironton is impatient offensively in playcalling. - And it predisposes them to mistakes also.

That's how you beat Ironton right now.
I just watched the game Ironton played it close they ran and ran.
I think they didn't want to show to much against Portsmouth and I am beginning to think the same against Gallia.
I will admit they need to clean up the penalties but i like #22 big and strong and 24 is a great complement to him
#22 has ZERO business running the ball with #24 and #26 in this group. He’s out there for a reason, it’s just not the right one. Ironton needs to commit to #24 with #26 and #44 giving him a breather when needed.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:15 pm

If you commit to running it at Ironton between the tackles and creating a grind it out game Ironton is very vulnerable. Irontons offense has NOT been able to dictate pace in games this season. And they are not near as stout inside vs the run as they are dynamic and fast on the outside. Ironton has a weak mid section.

On offense commit to the run. Play some old fashioned bully ball - don't try to do too much.

And defensively - keep em in front of you - concede a bit on the short passes , cut down on the potential for big plays, and let Ironton kill themselves with their own mistakes when you apply and bring different pressure.

Ironton is impatient offensively in playcalling. - And it predisposes them to mistakes also.

I think they didn't want to show to much against Portsmouth and I am beginning to think the same against Gallia.
I will admit they need to clean up the penalties but i like #22 big and strong and 24 is a great complement to him
They didn't run the ball well at all.
They did enough to win that is what matters
the playoffs will be a different story I know we will see where we go from here

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

GoBigI wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:04 pm

#22 has ZERO business running the ball with #24 and #26 in this group. He’s out there for a reason, it’s just not the right one. Ironton needs to commit to #24 with #26 and #44 giving him a breather when needed.
Imo = we can use them all. Commit to run. Get the o line in the room this week and simply put it on their shoulders and tell them this run is gonna be on how well you play. Point blank. Then use all the backs, and qbs legs and Terry and mix in play action and try to wear teams down.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:54 pm

No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball

Also, NO REASON IHS should not be pounding the ball w/Bevy of RB/FB ‘s available.

It’s as if they forget the MANY TALENTED RUNNING backs other teams drool over, but once developed strongly as a defensive player, they don’t get utilized in the run game efficiently.

BAFFLING!!!

5 good backs. Three qbs who can run and have good size. At least 4 WR's who can also play a hybrid role outta the backfield.

Take the online to the side this week and hold them accountable. Simply put. We win or lose with you. This playoff run is on you.

Then = commit to the run - wear em out with depth.
Mix in play action and some spread and utilize Terry and shrek the receivers to keep the defense from loading up.

Keep it SIMPLE.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:17 pm
GoBigI wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:04 pm

Imo = we can use them all. Commit to run. Get the o line in the room this week and simply put it on their shoulders and tell them this run is gonna be on how well you play. Point blank. Then use all the backs, and qbs legs and Terry and mix in play action and try to wear teams down.

FINALLY!!!!

AGREE on this wholeheartedly!!!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:21 pm

No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball

BAFFLING!!!

5 good backs. Three qbs who can run and have good size. At least 4 WR's who can also play a hybrid role outta the backfield.

Take the online to the side this week and hold them accountable. Simply put. We win or lose with you. This playoff run is on you.

Mix in play action and some spread and utilize Terry and shrek the receivers to keep the defense from loading up.

Keep it SIMPLE.

AGREE
AGREE
AGREE

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

You mean Simple like a botched “jump pass” on 4th and 1 ? Dumbest call I’ve seen in a football game In a while…

No continuity at Center.
Ball exchange issues.
Can't run the ball

BAFFLING!!!

Keep it SIMPLE.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

CrackBack46 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:36 am You mean Simple like a botched “jump pass” on 4th and 1 ? Dumbest call I’ve seen in a football game In a while…

BAFFLING!!!

Keep it SIMPLE.
Again horrible play calling for Ironton. Based on their performance the last 3 weeks I unfortunately have Ironton on upset alert immediately.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Tri_State790 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:18 pm [quote=CrackBack46 post_id=2085327 time=<a href="tel:1698150964">1698150964</a> user_id=19824]
You mean Simple like a botched “jump pass” on 4th and 1 ? Dumbest call I’ve seen in a football game In a while…

[quote=Tri_State790 post_id=2085003 time=<a href="tel:1698016914">1698016914</a> user_id=20478]
[quote=Tjhtygeverve post_id=2084949 time=<a href="tel:1698008089">1698008089</a> user_id=99]

BAFFLING!!!

Keep it SIMPLE.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Again horrible play calling for Ironton. Based on their performance the last 3 weeks I unfortunately have Ironton on upset alert immediately.
[/quote]

I’m hearing big changes coming in Tiger Town this week. Look forward to seeing how it works out Friday night.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

XandOs wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:30 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:18 pm [quote=CrackBack46 post_id=2085327 time=<a href="tel:1698150964">1698150964</a> user_id=19824]

[quote=Tri_State790 post_id=2085003 time=<a href="tel:1698016914">1698016914</a> user_id=20478]
[quote=Tjhtygeverve post_id=2084949 time=<a href="tel:1698008089">1698008089</a> user_id=99]

BAFFLING!!!

Keep it SIMPLE.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m hearing big changes coming in Tiger Town this week. Look forward to seeing how it works out Friday night.
[/quote]

Ehh I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Most of the issues are fundamentally based and ya don't sure that up in a week after being fundamentally unsound for 10 straight weeks. At this point everyone is who they are for the most part and the 1st playoff week opponent doesn't provide a good measurement against whatever they put out on the field Friday night.

I love my Tigers. But they are in trouble.

Trojan Explosion
Freshman Team

Post by Trojan Explosion »

Better hope the Tigers don't run into us again

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

Quit… They just beat you last week. Don’t let this win go to your head.

I’d worry about Burg next week first…

Trojan Explosion wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:32 pm Better hope the Tigers don't run into us again

Return to “Football”