Post by mattash »

October 6, 2023 Wheelersburg 40 - 7 Waverly

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 8 Waverly at Burg picks

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

Heck of a game plan by Burg, good Special Teams scouting in seeing that gap in the middle of Waverly’s kick return coverage and calling the onside kick on opening kickoff, nearly got it. Then for Waverly to turn around and not adjust their alignment for the second kick return and allow Burg to kick it to the same exact spot where there nearly got the first one is mind boggling.

Like stated just previously, Waverly goes 3 and out the first series and Burg responds with a score. Then recovers the onside kick as Waverly makes ZERO adjustments in return alignment, the pirates are set up on Waverly’s side of the field and get 7 more. Once that series of events happened you could tell mentally Waverly was defeated. I thought Waverly defense would be able to come up with some stops, which they did and think they may have been able to get a few more if they weren’t put in the situations they were put in. Burg played great defensively and just loaded the box and were better up front than Waverly. Hurd had no where to go and Waverly was being forced into throwing situations. So far this season, if Waverly’s only option is to throw the ball I don’t like their chances, and I’m talking when they are going against tough opposing defenses not cupcakes. Also missing their top receiving target did not help, but not sure it would have made a difference in the end. Maybe would have opened up the playbook more or more confidently thrown the ball earlier? Idk, just a very bad offensive showing IMO.

I think the Burg will have another SOC 2 title under their belt after week 10.

Waverly most likely finishes the season 6-4 and be going on the road week 11.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Re: October 6, 2023 Wheelersburg 40 - 7 Waverly

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

I made the trip also and outside of the outcome it was a good showing with a big crowd on both sides, my favorite stadium to go to on the road and catch a game at and always love the PA guy he does a phenomenal job

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Kudos to the Burg coaches and players. Excellent performance…
- No turnovers! That’s a big step forward.
- Heavy focus on the running game. Multiple backs and even got Rucker involved.
- Good use of the pass game. Rucker dropping back and throwing deep to first read. Keeping it simple…
- Defense strong as usual.

Only negative was the penalties. Way too many.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:26 am Kudos to the Burg coaches and players. Excellent performance…
- No turnovers! That’s a big step forward.
- Heavy focus on the running game. Multiple backs and even got Rucker involved.
- Good use of the pass game. Rucker dropping back and throwing deep to first read. Keeping it simple…
- Defense strong as usual.

Only negative was the penalties. Way too many.
I agree with your premise, less is more with football. You’re not wrong with your thinking .

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Well tough loss for the Tigers simply weren't prepared to start the game everyone knows Burgs MO is to kick an onside how in the world do you not fix a huge gap in the middle, been that way all season, not once but twice against Burg is senseless. I thought Burg did an excellent job in the trenches and really won the LOS on both sides of the ball, our DL were rarely getting hands on the RBs until 4-5 yards down the field and you'll never contain a team doing that. Broke my heart to see Burg coming out with more of a running style, was no real surprise given the size of their line but I was really hoping for them to settle in and attempt the air raid more. Burg is a very good defense and we simply couldn't get anything going offensively I don't believe we got our first 1st down until 4 minutes or so to go until halftime that's unacceptable I don't care who's defense you are playing. Burg was hit with a bunch of penalties but nothing thrown until they were up 26-0, 2nd TD of the game was a big 2 handed push off in the end zone for no call doesn't effect the outcome but was an easy call. Not sure why we felt offensively the need to go East and West all night long you can't do that against fast flowing defenses, it's why each time we ran a screen it worked. All in all great game plan by the Burg coaching staff and excellent execution by the players hats off to you. For Waverly just have to pick yourself up dust yourself off and get ready for Northwest and senior night.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:10 am Well tough loss for the Tigers simply weren't prepared to start the game everyone knows Burgs MO is to kick an onside how in the world do you not fix a huge gap in the middle, been that way all season, not once but twice against Burg is senseless. I thought Burg did an excellent job in the trenches and really won the LOS on both sides of the ball, our DL were rarely getting hands on the RBs until 4-5 yards down the field and you'll never contain a team doing that. Broke my heart to see Burg coming out with more of a running style, was no real surprise given the size of their line but I was really hoping for them to settle in and attempt the air raid more. Burg is a very good defense and we simply couldn't get anything going offensively I don't believe we got our first 1st down until 4 minutes or so to go until halftime that's unacceptable I don't care who's defense you are playing. Burg was hit with a bunch of penalties but nothing thrown until they were up 26-0, 2nd TD of the game was a big 2 handed push off in the end zone for no call doesn't effect the outcome but was an easy call. Not sure why we felt offensively the need to go East and West all night long you can't do that against fast flowing defenses, it's why each time we ran a screen it worked. All in all great game plan by the Burg coaching staff and excellent execution by the players hats off to you. For Waverly just have to pick yourself up dust yourself off and get ready for Northwest and senior night.
Agree but that side of the officiating in the back was not good. The two defensive pass interference calls on burg were bad calls

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:14 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:10 am Well tough loss for the Tigers simply weren't prepared to start the game everyone knows Burgs MO is to kick an onside how in the world do you not fix a huge gap in the middle, been that way all season, not once but twice against Burg is senseless. I thought Burg did an excellent job in the trenches and really won the LOS on both sides of the ball, our DL were rarely getting hands on the RBs until 4-5 yards down the field and you'll never contain a team doing that. Broke my heart to see Burg coming out with more of a running style, was no real surprise given the size of their line but I was really hoping for them to settle in and attempt the air raid more. Burg is a very good defense and we simply couldn't get anything going offensively I don't believe we got our first 1st down until 4 minutes or so to go until halftime that's unacceptable I don't care who's defense you are playing. Burg was hit with a bunch of penalties but nothing thrown until they were up 26-0, 2nd TD of the game was a big 2 handed push off in the end zone for no call doesn't effect the outcome but was an easy call. Not sure why we felt offensively the need to go East and West all night long you can't do that against fast flowing defenses, it's why each time we ran a screen it worked. All in all great game plan by the Burg coaching staff and excellent execution by the players hats off to you. For Waverly just have to pick yourself up dust yourself off and get ready for Northwest and senior night.
Agree but that side of the officiating in the back was not good. The two defensive pass interference calls on burg were bad calls
Yeah the official standing right there had the WR between him and the DB but other guys are watching the play have got to make that call, that was just to big of a play early on in the game to let that go. I think that's a 15 yard PI but it's a huge call early in the game and changes that drive in a big way, maybe they convert maybe they don't but it's a big missed call. Agreed on the 2 defensive PI on Burg also, I didn't see much if anything on the first the 2nd one maybe the guy got there a bit early but didn't matter because it was completed.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:14 pm
Both those calls were terrible calls
68 was held almost every down

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

That first PI call against 12 was terrible…one of those pee wee basketball calls where any blocked shot is called a foul, but I thought the 2nd PI was a good call from the angle I saw it.

Return to “Football”