The High School Transfer Portal: The reason behind players changing schools

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: The High School Transfer Portal: The reason behind players changing schools

Post by formerfcfan »

The only way this level of transfer-o-rama will ever reach Ohio is if privates break from the publics, forming their own association.

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:49 pm The only way this level of transfer-o-rama will ever reach Ohio is if privates break from the publics, forming their own association.
Yup. I think the better point for this forum isn't as direct. Transfers are a normal part of the game in 2022. Everywhere. Just to differing degrees. If someome grew up at a time where their 1983 experience makes it hard to relate, it doesn't make it wrong or cheating. Grow accustomed to everyone having interests in anything that is a collective effort. The idea is for everyone to benefit from their opportunities. Prep age atheletes have more to gain now than ever before. Doesn't matter what some relic from a small town feels about it. Programs that provide opportunity are sought after or considered. Opportunity vs hometown sentiment in 2022 is gonna always end in a blow out for 16, 17, 18 year olds in seo. The whole idea is to get out of the nest/cage. They don't wanna stay and get old and espouse whimsically about the old days in good ol Ironton or good ol Wheelersburg, ( or wherever) They wanna see what the world has for them beyond it.

Opportunity = destination.

Don't get upset because a local program is willing to do more for their student - atheletes, match that ambition & exceed that effort.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:48 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:49 pm The only way this level of transfer-o-rama will ever reach Ohio is if privates break from the publics, forming their own association.
Yup. I think the better point for this forum isn't as direct. Transfers are a normal part of the game in 2022. Everywhere. Just to differing degrees. If someome grew up at a time where their 1983 experience makes it hard to relate, it doesn't make it wrong or cheating. Grow accustomed to everyone having interests in anything that is a collective effort. The idea is for everyone to benefit from their opportunities. Prep age atheletes have more to gain now than ever before. Doesn't matter what some relic from a small town feels about it. Programs that provide opportunity are sought after or considered. Opportunity vs hometown sentiment in 2022 is gonna always end in a blow out for 16, 17, 18 year olds in seo. The whole idea is to get out of the nest/cage. They don't wanna stay and get old and espouse whimsically about the old days in good ol Ironton or good ol Wheelersburg, ( or wherever) They wanna see what the world has for them beyond it.

Don't get upset because a local program is willing to do more for their student - atheletes, match that ambition & exceed that effort.
Have you ever considered that these schools are public and not everyone has the means to pick up and transfer? But yet they still have the want and desire to play for their school and be a part of something. Whether you acknowledge it or not, Ironton falls into that public school category and now those average kids who just want play some high school football now have to look over their shoulder for playing time all because someone painted a bus, or has connections. If that’s the direction that some want to go, start a harvest prep in the area and do so. This is my biggest complaint with the current sports environment. Public school kids should have the opportunity

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

wobycat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:59 pm

Have you ever considered that these schools are public and not everyone has the means to pick up and transfer? But yet they still have the want and desire to play for their school and be a part of something. Whether you acknowledge it or not, Ironton falls into that public school category and now those average kids who just want play some high school football now have to look over their shoulder for playing time all because someone painted a bus, or has connections. If that’s the direction that some want to go, start a harvest prep in the area and do so. This is my biggest complaint with the current sports environment. Public school kids should have the opportunity
So basically you want to tell people that once they pick a place to live, they need to stay there forever because it isn’t really fair to other people if you go where you want and happen to be better than them at something?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

enigmaax wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:10 pm

So basically you want to tell people that once they pick a place to live, they need to stay there forever because it isn’t really fair to other people if you go where you want and happen to be better than them at something?
No they can pick up and go to any number of private schools if the are serious about getting next level and recognition. My response though is specifically in response to thee games comment. Not a general idea that a kid from rock hill transfers to Green so he can start at QB

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:37 pm

No they can pick up and go to any number of private schools if the are serious about getting next level and recognition. My response though is specifically in response to thee games comment. Not a general idea that a kid from rock hill transfers to Green so he can start at QB
Rock Hill is a bad example, most Rock Hill kids have an Ironton address, so Ironton would more than likely be :lol: their destination :D

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:30 pm

Rock Hill is a bad example, most Rock Hill kids have an Ironton address, so Ironton would more than likely be :lol: their destination :D
I agree. I was trying not to make the post about Ironton specifically. I’m just giving my take on the entire picture of it. Not sure I like the college version of it either

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Again, it’s weird that you want to tell people what their priorities and choices have to be. Why should they have to go to a private school when there are public schools? It really isn’t anyone else’s business why a kid transfers, but you know it isn’t always about the next level or recognition? Personal happiness is enough of a reason for anyone to go where they want; sometimes that’s about playing time, sometimes it’s about having a great mentor, learning from the best (or better), or just experiencing a winning culture/mentality that will be far more valuable in non-athletic aspects of life. But yeah, it totally makes sense that you should tell someone to either stay where you are forever or pay for something that’s free to everyone else.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

enigmaax wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:20 pm

Again, it’s weird that you want to tell people what their priorities and choices have to be. Why should they have to go to a private school when there are public schools? It really isn’t anyone else’s business why a kid transfers, but you know it isn’t always about the next level or recognition? Personal happiness is enough of a reason for anyone to go where they want; sometimes that’s about playing time, sometimes it’s about having a great mentor, learning from the best (or better), or just experiencing a winning culture/mentality that will be far more valuable in non-athletic aspects of life. But yeah, it totally makes sense that you should tell someone to either stay where you are forever or pay for something that’s free to everyone else.
Not being a fan of it or disliking it doesn’t translate to I’m trying to negate a persons experience or happiness or meddle in their business. And yeah I think it’s sucks for the kid who can’t make that jump. The kid waiting for their turn. I like the hometown small football. Its what I grew up with. It used to be about the home team. It seems like now it’s about the individual

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

wobycat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:07 pm

If a public school kid transfers to another public school & so happen to take a kids spot, that is a teachable moment for parents. Life isn't easy in many ways.

Not being a fan of it or disliking it doesn’t translate to I’m trying to negate a persons experience or happiness or meddle in their business. And yeah I think it’s sucks for the kid who can’t make that jump. The kid waiting for their turn. I like the hometown small football. Its what I grew up with. It used to be about the home team. It seems like now it’s about the individual
If a public school kid transfers to another public school & takes a kids spot thats a teachable moment.

Lesson #1. Life is hard and nobody is entitled to anything. Even a spot on ya school team just cause you been around longer.

Keep teaching that entitlement and that kid is gonna fall apart the 1st time a romantic relationship ends. Lol

You are entitled to NOTHING. Not even your geographical stint in one location entitles you.

Teach them to be go getters. Competitors.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:44 pm

If a public school kid transfers to another public school & so happen to take a kids spot, that is a teachable moment for parents. Life isn't easy in many ways.

If a public school kid transfers to another public school & takes a kids spot thats a teachable moment.

Lesson #1. Life is hard and nobody is entitled to anything. Even a spot on ya school team just cause you been around longer.

Keep teaching that entitlement and that kid is gonna fall apart the 1st time a romantic relationship ends. Lol

You are entitled to NOTHING. Not even your geographical stint in one location entitles you.

Well said, Coach

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

wobycat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:41 pm

I agree. I was trying not to make the post about Ironton specifically. I’m just giving my take on the entire picture of it. Not sure I like the college version of it either
It only seems like a big deal because we are living withing the change. In 3 years, 5 years, it'll be old news and new changes will occur. Just like any aspect of our lives and world. And when new changes occur some will dislike those also but they will still occur. The measure by which we assess things changes right along with it so any outdated assessment is irrelevant. Fact is its here, its legit, its present at every level in diff aspects, it doesnt make anything less than or not legitimate, and programs that cannot keep up to a degree will struggle consistently outperforming more ambitious programs.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:02 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:41 pm

It only seems like a big deal because we are living withing the change. In 3 years, 5 years, it'll be old news and new changes will occur. Just like any aspect of our lives and world. And when new changes occur some will dislike those also but they will still occur. The measure by which we assess things changes right along with it so any outdated assessment is irrelevant. Fact is its here, its legit, its present at every level in diff aspects, it doesnt make anything less than or not legitimate, and programs that cannot keep up to a degree will struggle consistently outperforming more ambitious programs.
How is staying at a hometown school preventing someone from escaping the so called gutter that you call southern Ohio ? Why can’t they still go to college , military ext to “escape” the misery and disadvantages of being poor appalachian folks ? I’m confused .

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Now that I have kids of my own, as much as I understand loyalty to a community, I'd want my boys to get the best coaching in the best program they could. They live with that experience the rest of their lives, and that lasts longer than a few cheers from hometown fans who forget your name after the season is done.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Do you not see the hypocrisy in this though? You want to teach them to be competitors and go getters? So you join another team that's already talented, so you can coat tail and bathe in that glory? What does that teach?

I love the feel of home small town football. The sense of pride and community is important to me.

How about the lessons that life isn't always gonna be easy. Things might get difficult with your hometown team. But I would rather my kids learn not to be selfish. Not to bail on your friends and team mates because you think you are above them. Problems? Stay and fix them. Not tuck tail and run.

If you are so talented, you will make a difference on your team and get noticed. If you don't, then maybe you aren't as good as you think. Or the parents think. So don't give me that crap that said other school will get you recognition. Shoot the one kid that is going to a Big 10 school to play running back, doesn't even get that many carries at his school now.

These transfers show exactly how soft society as a whole has become. Everyone wants to take the easy way out. Everyone wants to blame everyone else. No personal accountability for anything. Parents get in the kids heads, tell them they are better than what they are. And no im not a grouchy old man. I'm pretty young relatively. Just alive long enough to have witnessed this sad transition we are currently in.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

efarns wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:44 am Now that I have kids of my own, as much as I understand loyalty to a community, I'd want my boys to get the best coaching in the best program they could. They live with that experience the rest of their lives, and that lasts longer than a few cheers from hometown fans who forget your name after the season is done.
If you start from the beginning that's one thing to me. But to up and change is another. I do think football teaches incredible life lessons. But the root of the games is what teaches those lessons. A few extra wins in the long run doesn't. 99.9 percent of the student athletes won't go to a division 1 school and start. Idc who the coach is. Going to a certain school doesn't make your kid talented.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

SiderBlood wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:09 am

Do you not see the hypocrisy in this though? You want to teach them to be competitors and go getters? So you join another team that's already talented, so you can coat tail and bathe in that glory? What does that teach?

I love the feel of home small town football. The sense of pride and community is important to me.

How about the lessons that life isn't always gonna be easy. Things might get difficult with your hometown team. But I would rather my kids learn not to be selfish. Not to bail on your friends and team mates because you think you are above them. Problems? Stay and fix them. Not tuck tail and run.

If you are so talented, you will make a difference on your team and get noticed. If you don't, then maybe you aren't as good as you think. Or the parents think. So don't give me that crap that said other school will get you recognition. Shoot the one kid that is going to a Big 10 school to play running back, doesn't even get that many carries at his school now.

These transfers show exactly how soft society as a whole has become. Everyone wants to take the easy way out. Everyone wants to blame everyone else. No personal accountability for anything. Parents get in the kids heads, tell them they are better than what they are. And no im not a grouchy old man. I'm pretty young relatively. Just alive long enough to have witnessed this sad transition we are currently in.
What you just said makes absolutely no sense either. “The one kid going to the big 10 to play running back, doesn’t even get that many carries at his school now”. That to me is why kids are coming. It’s not the personal exposure it’s the culture of the program and the development and connections that’s getting these kids in schools. Stats don’t get kids recruited. The Qb from Western Brown will tell you that. He lead the Country in passing yards last year and doesn’t have an offer to play. I’ve also heard people on here say well they have recruiting guys close to their program helping. Those “recruiting” guys represent a lot of kids in this area and I don’t see it helping those kids land offers like it happens at Ironton. The moral of the story is if your dream is to play college sports in 21st century it 100% matters where you play. The kid you were referring to is also the leading ball carrier on a team with other D1 kids. Ironton has weapons everywhere and they parity in their athletes is very close.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

SiderBlood wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:15 am
efarns wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:44 am Now that I have kids of my own, as much as I understand loyalty to a community, I'd want my boys to get the best coaching in the best program they could. They live with that experience the rest of their lives, and that lasts longer than a few cheers from hometown fans who forget your name after the season is done.
If you start from the beginning that's one thing to me. But to up and change is another. I do think football teaches incredible life lessons. But the root of the games is what teaches those lessons. A few extra wins in the long run doesn't. 99.9 percent of the student athletes won't go to a division 1 school and start. Idc who the coach is. Going to a certain school doesn't make your kid talented.
You can have whatever opinion you want. I don't know why you would bother having one about choices parents make for their children. Personally, I would not ask you or wonder afterwards what you thought.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

XandOs wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:23 am
SiderBlood wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:09 am

What you just said makes absolutely no sense either. “The one kid going to the big 10 to play running back, doesn’t even get that many carries at his school now”. That to me is why kids are coming. It’s not the personal exposure it’s the culture of the program and the development and connections that’s getting these kids in schools. Stats don’t get kids recruited. The Qb from Western Brown will tell you that. He lead the Country in passing yards last year and doesn’t have an offer to play. I’ve also heard people on here say well they have recruiting guys close to their program helping. Those “recruiting” guys represent a lot of kids in this area and I don’t see it helping those kids land offers. The moral of the story is if your dream is to play college sports in 21st century it 100% matters where you play. The kid you were referring to is also the leading ball carrier on a team with other D1 kids. Ironton has weapons everywhere and they parity in their athletes is very close.
I can only speak for the games I have watched. And I choose not to mention the school because I get tired of every single post on this site being about them. But the games I have watched, that kid has been severely under utilized. In a loss and a should have been loss. Still blows my mind that a team composed of this many next level athletes aren't blowing teams out of the water.

Return to “Football”