WK 11: 16. Johnstown Northridge 6 @1. Fort Frye 54 Final

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WK 11: 16. Johnstown Northridge (5-5) @ 1. Fort Frye (8-1)

Post by EasternDspy »

We’ll come up with a better name 2 schools have the Northridge name.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Johnstown -Monroe

Johnstown - Northridge

It’s like the Massillon you use the city then the schools names.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:01 am Johnstown -Monroe

Johnstown - Northridge

It’s like the Massillon you use the city then the schools names.
The people who live there say differently. Seriously, it is not that hard. There are the Johnstown Johnnies and there are the Northridge Vikings. The school is NOT Johnstown Northridge. Johnstown-Monroe is the school district in which Johnstown High School resides. That school (look at their website) goes as JHS, not JMHS.

I don’t know how else to say it to get you to understand; and they will correct you. Not knowing is one thing; knowing and purposely ignoring it is disrespectful to the people there.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I’m not changing my mind this is how I see them. Should of came up with a better name. It’s like Eastern name you have to say the location by the school name. Not my fault Dayton Northridge exists.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:20 pm I’m not changing my mind this is how I see them. Should of came up with a better name. It’s like Eastern name you have to say the location by the school name. Not my fault Dayton Northridge exists.
Obviously when you are talking about location, the city identifies it. That is completely different from the factual name. Beverly Fort Frye, New Matamoras Frontier, etc. are names that help identify location. It is no different. Perry High School near Massillon is NOT “Massillon Perry High School.” It isn’t an opinion, it is a fact. All I’m saying is the Northridge fans are sensitive about it; you, as a stupid fan, don’t really matter. When FF played them the 1st time in the playoffs (early 2000s), several people walked up to the press box to correct the PA guy. I don’t know why a person would want to be disrespectful or stupid once they understand they are wrong.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

enigmaax wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:39 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:20 pm I’m not changing my mind this is how I see them. Should of came up with a better name. It’s like Eastern name you have to say the location by the school name. Not my fault Dayton Northridge exists.
Obviously when you are talking about location, the city identifies it. That is completely different from the factual name. Beverly Fort Frye, New Matamoras Frontier, etc. are names that help identify location. It is no different. Perry High School near Massillon is NOT “Massillon Perry High School.” It isn’t an opinion, it is a fact. All I’m saying is the Northridge fans are sensitive about it; you, as a stupid fan, don’t really matter. When FF played them the 1st time in the playoffs (early 2000s), several people walked up to the press box to correct the PA guy. I don’t know why a person would want to be disrespectful or stupid once they understand they are wrong.

I’m not saying call them Johnstown on the PA. When heading the topic I’m going to call them Johnstown Northridge so people don’t think the Cadets are playing Dayton Northridge. It’s no different than calling Easten Reedsville Eastern or Beaver Eastern. By no means do I mean any disrespect.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

enigmaax has it right. Just to give some additional commentary, explanation and whatnot...

- The reason why Perry and Jackson in Stark County are commonly discussed with the geographic identifier online, and in OHSAA media, of "Massillon" Perry/Jackson is to differentiate them from the public high schools named for the towns of Perry (Lake County) and Jackson (Jackson County.)

- Sometimes OHSAA, unintentionally, makes these things dumb. There's two high schools in Ohio named "Highland." There's the one in Medina County, referred to as "Medina Highland" (mailing address, even though its a dramatically bad utilization of the identifier since the school is nowhere near the City of Medina.) Then there is the one in Morrow County, which for years has been volleyed back and forth as "Marengo Highland" and "Sparta Highland." Then you have the fact that Coal Grove is 'officially' labeled "Dawson-Bryant" with the OHSAA -- it's not at all incorrect to call them that, since that's the school's name, but it overrides the colloquialism of them being astutely and unequivocally Coal Grove.

- On the topic of "Johnstown" Northridge -- Johnstown(-Monroe) is Johnstown, and Northridge is Northridge. Northridge has a generally complicated and lengthy explanation: the district and high school went through two rounds of consolidation/rebrand. Three high schools consolidated into the formation of the school today known as Northridge: in the north it was Homer and Hartford, in the south it was Alexandria. Alexandria is the largest of the three "communities" within the Northridge district. Northridge Local SD is shaped like a Congressional district, practically. They built the HS after consolidations on US-62 because it was the closest they'd get as a middle-point, or else the farmers' kids up north would have to travel a long distance to Alexandria for school. Where that parcel the school is built is served by the Johnstown P.O., but effectively no one in that district would say they live in Johnstown. They either live in Alexandria, either of the two tiny-spits-on-the-map or the no-mans land of Licking County.

- re: Frontier... this a fun and wise example of the pitfalls on directly referring to schools by their geographic identifiers when not necessary. My college roommate was a Frontier alum. When I met him, he said he was from "the Ohio River." I asked him where he went to high school, he said Frontier. Me, being a savant of the computer rankings (we also had played Frontier in football previously) replied "oh, New Matamoras?" He gave me a puzzled look. "I'm from a town called Newport. Do you mean 'New Mat?'" :lol:
Last edited by formerfcfan on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The hardest one is Washington High School that’s in Washington Courthouse. No one calls it Washington. Berlin Highland and Sparta Highland are confusing to remember they are two different schools

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Not that they will need it but good luck to Fort Frye in this one

6O HORN3TS 🐝
washingtoncountywiz
Waterboy

Post by washingtoncountywiz »

efarns wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:48 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:28 pm Fort Frye Playoff History

2000- L Johnstown Northridge (20-6)
2012 - L @Kirtland (49-7)
2013- L @ Lucasville Valley (52-14)
2015- L Fredricktown ( 13-0)
2016- W -Centerburg (44-6)
W - Barnesville (40-19)
L - Newark Catholic (41-7)
2017- W Northmor (6-0)
L - Nelsonville-York (26-20) OT
2018 W- Fairbanks (34-14)
W - Northmor (41-23)
W - Shadyside (18-6)
L - Kirtland (35-18)
2019 - W Dalton (48-39)
L - Mogadore (21-14)
2020 - W - Belpre (54-0)
W- Africentric (51-12)
W- Barnesville (34-0)
W- Fairland (47-7)
L - Springfield ( 16-13)

11-9 All-Time
11-5 since 2016.

This is why, when people bring up scheduling or other stupid issues, I just roll my eyes.

And, my geography isn't the greatest, but I count 5-4 against playoff teams north of I-70.
Why would you slander teams in Southeastern Ohio in Southeastern Ohio Preps? Plenty of great players down here and you need to open up and watch? Maybe if we would pump more money into this side of the state, coaches could start to build as Fort Frye has. Coach Huck has literally made FF into something out of nothing and is coming for you North I-70 schools.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Most interesting thing about this game is what the Vikings like to go by lol

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:21 pm The hardest one is Washington High School that’s in Washington Courthouse. No one calls it Washington. Berlin Highland and Sparta Highland are confusing to remember they are two different schools
Well, one is “Hiland.” Lol

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

If I may paraphrase my Northridge cousins: "The name thing is only a big deal if you make it one. And, if you could rest your starters, that would be great."
Last edited by efarns on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:13 pm Most interesting thing about this game is what the Vikings like to go by lol
Ha ha, for sure. And fair enough on everything else.

FC - Interesting about the consolidation thing. I didn’t know the entire story, though I’m sure someone told me twenty years ago - they were REALLY irate at that playoff game.

It is also interesting how much those computer rankings shaped some of our perspectives. I always think in terms of those listings when I meet new people or talk about places/schools. It’s just second nature, except for the local schools of course. I still don’t know the right answer to Coal Grove Dawson-Bryant even though you just explained it.

On one hand, I can understand why someone wouldn’t want to be associated with New Mat, but I mean, to Western Washington Countians, Newport isn’t much different. You venture past Reno, you’re on your own.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

enigmaax wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:26 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:13 pm Most interesting thing about this game is what the Vikings like to go by lol
Ha ha, for sure. And fair enough on everything else.

FC - Interesting about the consolidation thing. I didn’t know the entire story, though I’m sure someone told me twenty years ago - they were REALLY irate at that playoff game.

It is also interesting how much those computer rankings shaped some of our perspectives. I always think in terms of those listings when I meet new people or talk about places/schools. It’s just second nature, except for the local schools of course. I still don’t know the right answer to Coal Grove Dawson-Bryant even though you just explained it.

On one hand, I can understand why someone wouldn’t want to be associated with New Mat, but I mean, to Western Washington Countians, Newport isn’t much different. You venture past Reno, you’re on your own.

I live In Reno now so I’m repping

MOVguy246
Waterboy

Post by MOVguy246 »

Game will not be aired live on the radio due to Waterford vs Conotton valley. Some sort of live stream may be in the works.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Game updates on this site as they happen by D'Spy.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

rickoshay wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 am Game updates on this site as they happen by D'Spy.
Sadly won’t be at the game my wife wants me to pass out candy :(

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Maeson “ Crazy Legs “ Long have a special season with 1217 total yards 12 Tds 11.48 yards per touch. Also been an all state level CB with 6 Ints in 9 games.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:56 am
rickoshay wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 am Game updates on this site as they happen by D'Spy.
Sadly won’t be at the game my wife wants me to pass out candy :(
Call the press box and get updates. ;)

Return to “Football”