2021 playoffs

Rolltanks
All Conference

2021 playoffs

Post by Rolltanks »

16 teams confirmed with top 4 seeds hosting first game and second game if they win. I don’t get how you go to 16 and not have buys. These first round games with be embarrassing. 16 could work with buys but this is going to be horrible imo.

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Re: 2021 playoffs

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

16 vs 1 will be bloodshed. Not really but without a bye some of these games are going to get ugly.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I don't have a problem with that many teams making the playoffs.......sure, there will be mismatches in the first round, but there always seems to be such. At the same time, there will be more chances for an upset, and there's always some upsets every year. Bottom line for me is that more kids will get to experience playoff football, and that makes the last few games of the season very relevant.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Not a good move IMO. Will be a lot of blowouts in those first and even second rounds. For those top seeds, it is just going to be another game they have to get thru without injuries with little to no competition. Playoff football is special in Ohio, always has been. And getting the opportunity to be part of the post season means you earned it and have had an excellent season. It was not easy getting into that top 8, that’s what made it so special. But now, it is starting to become less valuable if they continue to expand it. “Playoff football” won’t be the same. Should every player in Ohio get the chance to experience it? If they do, it won’t be the same. A .500 team or a team with a losing record should not be in the playoffs routinely. Just a money grab for the OHSAA, trying to make up for lost dollars from COVID but will most likely stay this way until they decide to let more in. I think most people who, but not all, agree this is a good move are people from schools who never make it.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:52 pm Not a good move IMO. Will be a lot of blowouts in those first and even second rounds. For those top seeds, it is just going to be another game they have to get thru without injuries with little to no competition. Playoff football is special in Ohio, always has been. And getting the opportunity to be part of the post season means you earned it and have had an excellent season. It was not easy getting into that top 8, that’s what made it so special. But now, it is starting to become less valuable if they continue to expand it. “Playoff football” won’t be the same. Should every player in Ohio get the chance to experience it? If they do, it won’t be the same. A .500 team or a team with a losing record should not be in the playoffs routinely. Just a money grab for the OHSAA, trying to make up for lost dollars from COVID but will most likely stay this way until they decide to let more in. I think most people who, but not all, agree this is a good move are people from schools who never make it.
You are right, the OHSAA will continue this until they figure out a way to expand it even more so they can make even more money. Greed and stupidity is behind this idea, and you can't fix stupid. :mrgreen:

Bumpy
Freshman Team

Post by Bumpy »

OMG, can't imagine the poor teams that have to play a 1st rd. game @ Coldwater, Marion Local,Kirtland. Absolute annihilation. Player safety could be a concern in some of these lopsided 16v1, 15v2 matchups.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Bumpy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:12 pm OMG, can't imagine the poor teams that have to play a 1st rd. game @ Coldwater, Marion Local,Kirtland. Absolute annihilation. Player safety could be a concern in some of these lopsided 16v1, 15v2 matchups.
Ya I agree without buys this is gonna be ugly. I understand the idea of a cash grab but why not give buys still would be bad to have a 5-16 game or even a 9-16 game but a 1-16 game you will see teams opt out. How can you advocate for safety and then do this. In d1 you would have teams like st Ed’s playing a team that can’t even compete vs d5 schools. D1 has only 16 in a region so everyone is in lol

TomcatFootball11
Freshman Team

Post by TomcatFootball11 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:14 pm 16 vs 1 will be bloodshed. Not really but without a bye some of these games are going to get ugly.
Oh, it will be awful. Especially when powerhouses go against god awful schools, ex: Burg, Trimble, Ironton etc. Only good thing is JVs will get some playing time.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

At this be point, they might as well let all teams play in the playoffs like every other sport. It’s no longer special to qualify.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Bumpy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:12 pm OMG, can't imagine the poor teams that have to play a 1st rd. game @ Coldwater, Marion Local,Kirtland. Absolute annihilation. Player safety could be a concern in some of these lopsided 16v1, 15v2 matchups.
Is player safety a concern in poor regular season matchups? For example, Trimble plays South Gallia every year. This past season the score was 66-0. Kirtland beat (0-10) Grand Valley, 58-0. Is there a difference when a good team plays a bad team in a conference vs if they were to play in a tournament?

Greenwave38
Waterboy

Post by Greenwave38 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:44 pm This is getting beyond ridiculous.

At this be point, they might as well let all teams play in the playoffs like every other sport. It’s no longer special to qualify.

They let everyone in last year. Unless you opted out like Newark did . 448 schools get in out of 709 that should be it . When i was a sophomore only 2 per region made it in 5 divisions.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Rolltanks wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:08 pm
Ya I agree without buys this is gonna be ugly. I understand the idea of a cash grab but why not give buys still would be bad to have a 5-16 game or even a 9-16 game but a 1-16 game you will see teams opt out. How can you advocate for safety and then do this. In d1 you would have teams like st Ed’s playing a team that can’t even compete vs d5 schools. D1 has only 16 in a region so everyone is in lol
First off it is *byes but whatever.

How do you purpose byes with 16 teams?

You gonna give the top 4 round one off and then let the other 12 play? Then you have 10 teams left. Then what? 1-2 get 2 byes and don't play for 3 weeks?

16 teams is too many. 12 should be the max. Top four get a week off and you go from there.

This is just too watered down. IMO.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Crab's Brother wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:00 pm

You gonna give the top 4 round one off and then let the other 12 play? Then you have 10 teams left. Then what? 1-2 get 2 byes and don't play for 3 weeks?

16 teams is too many. 12 should be the max. Top four get a week off and you go from there.

Thanks for the English correction. You are obviously confused. I am not in support of 16 teams. I was just agreeing with everyone else that 16vs1 would be terrible. If bad teams played each other instead then it would be like having pre playoff games before the real playoffs. As to how to that, I’ll leave that to ppl like you that are clearly smarter than me. I like 4 teams per region best.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

16 in each region is just ridiculous. 8 was fine - 12 is really too many but would have been way better than 16. At least the top 4 could have received a bye. With 16 there’s no byes and it will be embarrassing.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Rolltanks wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks for the English correction. You are obviously confused. I am not in support of 16 teams. I was just agreeing with everyone else that 16vs1 would be terrible. If bad teams played each other instead then it would be like having pre playoff games before the real playoffs. As to how to that, I’ll leave that to ppl like you that are clearly smarter than me. I like 4 teams per region best.
Zero confusion. I didn't say anything about you supporting 16 teams. You must be the one confused.

You brought up "buys". I asked how. Nothing confusing.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 pm
Rolltanks wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 pm

Zero confusion. I didn't say anything about you supporting 16 teams. You must be the one confused.

You brought up "buys". I asked how. Nothing confusing.
[/Idk how they would do it with 16without someone getting two weeks off, prolly why they chose not to

Return to “Football”