Coaching 101

Cheerdad2020
Waterboy

Coaching 101

Post by Cheerdad2020 »

Learned a little bit of coaching psychology on Friday night. SV up by 1 with 55 seconds left 4th and 5 or so. Well the refs blow the game with a whistle after the kick was blocked and recovered. If I was coaching Symmes Valley I would or went absolutely nuts when they decided to redo the play because the bad call.

Instead Webb was angry but he realized if he had went nuts it would of been a penalty and gave Northwest the 1at down. Just thinking that was a good veteran coach love that most young coaches may miss.

One of the biggest hose jobs I seen. Keep in mind northwest did nothing wrong

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Coaching 101

Post by greygoose »

Cheerdad2020 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:02 pm Learned a little bit of coaching psychology on Friday night. SV up by 1 with 55 seconds left 4th and 5 or so. Well the refs blow the game with a whistle after the kick was blocked and recovered. If I was coaching Symmes Valley I would or went absolutely nuts when they decided to redo the play because the bad call.

Instead Webb was angry but he realized if he had went nuts it would of been a penalty and gave Northwest the 1at down. Just thinking that was a good veteran coach love that most young coaches may miss.

You're saying the refs blew the whistle AFTER the kick was blocked and recovered?? That would just mean the play was over, it was an inadvertent whistle which typically happens just at the snap or mid play it's not something that is done after the fact. While most coaches get upset over it, most also know inadvertent whistles do happen and that play is started again. So it's not really a "hose" job, had it been the other way around, kid makes it 1st time and misses it the 2nd time then Northwest would've been calling it a "hose" job. Game was played at SV after all.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:28 pm
Cheerdad2020 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:02 pm Learned a little bit of coaching psychology on Friday night. SV up by 1 with 55 seconds left 4th and 5 or so. Well the refs blow the game with a whistle after the kick was blocked and recovered. If I was coaching Symmes Valley I would or went absolutely nuts when they decided to redo the play because the bad call.

You're saying the refs blew the whistle AFTER the kick was blocked and recovered?? That would just mean the play was over, it was an inadvertent whistle which typically happens just at the snap or mid play it's not something that is done after the fact. While most coaches get upset over it, most also know inadvertent whistles do happen and that play is started again. So it's not really a "hose" job, had it been the other way around, kid makes it 1st time and misses it the 2nd time then Northwest would've been calling it a "hose" job. Game was played at SV after all.
The kick was blocked cleanly and there were no penalties. The problem was the officials blew the play dead after the ball was blocked and before anyone recovered it. From what I understand that should be a live ball. After the officials realized they shouldn’t have blown the play dead they replayed the down

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

mlittle wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 pm

The kick was blocked cleanly and there were no penalties. The problem was the officials blew the play dead after the ball was blocked and before anyone recovered it. From what I understand that should be a live ball. After the officials realized they shouldn’t have blown the play dead they replayed the down
That is exactly what happened. As soon as kick was blocked the whistle was blown.
There is actually 3 whistles blown, on the video I have you can even hear the guys in press box hollering it's a live ball.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

That a perfect explanation, because that's one I can see happening very easily because the play isn't dead until a recovery happens. Tough way to lose but as I tell my kid, everyone remembers that 1 play. We all seem to forget how many plays lead up to that point that if they were made could've changed the outcome as well. Everyone just gets fixated on the one and especially given it was an inadvertent whistle that was the cause.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:46 pm

That a perfect explanation, because that's one I can see happening very easily because the play isn't dead until a recovery happens. Tough way to lose but as I tell my kid, everyone remembers that 1 play. We all seem to forget how many plays lead up to that point that if they were made could've changed the outcome as well. Everyone just gets fixated on the one and especially given it was an inadvertent whistle that was the cause.
We had a play week one where Piketon center snaps ball over QB head and he turns around to run after it and when he went to fall on it before he even got to the ground they blew the play dead. When he fell he actually hurt his wrist and never really even attempted to get the ball. We recover it easily but it didn’t matter because the official already blew the play dead. Our QB did the same thing AT Adena last year and they blew the whistle early. Somehow it all equals out but that’s definitely a tough way to lose a game.

Cheerdad2020
Waterboy

Post by Cheerdad2020 »

thanks for clearing it up guys. Maybe it wasn't a hose job then.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Cheerdad2020 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:57 pm thanks for clearing it up guys. Maybe it wasn't a hose job then.
Definitely still a hose job

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

It is an error, not a hose job. Everyone makes mistakes, players, coaches and referees.

An old coaching axiom, if you leave the game close enough for the official to make a difference, you’ve got nobody to blame but yourself.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Olddude03
Waterboy

Post by Olddude03 »

Frank Reagan wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:15 pm It is an error, not a hose job. Everyone makes mistakes, players, coaches and referees.

An old coaching axiom, if you leave the game close enough for the official to make a difference, you’ve got nobody to blame but yourself.
Sucks!!! But this is true

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

mlittle wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:02 pm
Cheerdad2020 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:57 pm thanks for clearing it up guys. Maybe it wasn't a hose job then.
You are a clown 🤡

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:09 pm
mlittle wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:02 pm
You are a clown 🤡
It happens man. It’s part of the game. Relax. The officials made a huge mistake it’s not hard to admit for most people, they are human. It influenced the outcome of the game. A team got hosed and I’m sure somewhere along the line they’ve been on the receiving end Of one of those so it typically all equals out in the end. You don’t have to defend every official from all criticism

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Do I think the officials intentionally hosed a team? NO. It happens. Most high school officials are regular guys like us with very minimal training. These things are bound to happen. Hell they happen in professional sports where they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and do it full time with the best training. It’s unavoidable but so is the criticism when things like this happen.

thebarlowbandit
All State

mlittle wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:54 pm Do I think the officials intentionally hosed a team? NO. It happens. Most high school officials are regular guys like us with very minimal training. These things are bound to happen. Hell they happen in professional sports where they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and do it full time with the best training. It’s unavoidable but so is the criticism when things like this happen.
I’d love to see you take a rules test right now and share your results! Those who can’t either teach or complain, which are you?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:03 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:54 pm Do I think the officials intentionally hosed a team? NO. It happens. Most high school officials are regular guys like us with very minimal training. These things are bound to happen. Hell they happen in professional sports where they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and do it full time with the best training. It’s unavoidable but so is the criticism when things like this happen.
I’d love to see you take a rules test right now and share your results! Those who can’t either teach or complain, which are you?
I’m the complainer obviously.

Those who pretend referees never make mistakes are either biased or ignorant, which are you?

thebarlowbandit
All State

I’m neither, just a realistic person who calls BS on those who think they are funny, but are really not.

thebarlowbandit
All State

mlittle wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:22 pm

Those who pretend referees never make mistakes are either biased or ignorant, which are you?
If I was one though, you’d be putting a target 🎯 on people with your arrogance

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:28 pm
mlittle wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:22 pm

If I was one though, you’d be putting a target 🎯 on people with your arrogance
If I’m arrogant for stating officials make mistakes then you’re ignorant for saying they do not.

I think I know what you mean by target on people but I’d love to hear you explain it.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:24 pm I’m neither, just a realistic person who calls BS on those who think they are funny, but are really not.
Well it’s a good thing you’re on this site commenting on every single post that any poster makes even slightly mentioning an official could make a mistake.

And the answer is you are both

thebarlowbandit
All State

mlittle wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:58 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:24 pm I’m neither, just a realistic person who calls BS on those who think they are funny, but are really not.
Well it’s a good thing you’re on this site commenting on every single post that any poster makes even slightly mentioning an official could make a mistake.

And the answer is you are both
I just don’t like the crying. I’ll also defend coaches. People need to try accountability for themselves and their kids from time to time.

Return to “Football”