Southern opts out of playoff.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Southern opts out of playoff.

Post by EasternDspy »

They will travel Beallsville week 7 who also opted out.

512Buckeye
Waterboy

Re: Southern opts out of playoff.

Post by 512Buckeye »

Why opt out of the playoffs??

Bumpy
Freshman Team

Post by Bumpy »

512Buckeye wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:42 pm Why opt out of the playoffs??
Because they are not good, will be 0-6 with mostly blowout losses. Would have to travel to a good 6-0 or 5-1 team that could probably have a 45-50 pt. lead at the half. Why possibly get your players injured to say what some day "we made the playoffs one year". Tough call for some head coaches but the really bad teams need to opt. out.

Grizzly&Gatorade
Waterboy

Post by Grizzly&Gatorade »

Tough, but understandable .. Keep your kids safe. Great job by the admins to get another game lined up!

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Plus the guest team in playoffs get no OHSAA travel money this year
Beallsville may be paying a little o Southerns travel cost

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Bumpy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:00 pm
512Buckeye wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:42 pm Why opt out of the playoffs??
Because they are not good, will be 0-6 with mostly blowout losses. Would have to travel to a good 6-0 or 5-1 team that could probably have a 45-50 pt. lead at the half. Why possibly get your players injured to say what some day "we made the playoffs one year". Tough call for some head coaches but the really bad teams need to opt. out.
Agreed

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

There SHOULD be more teams that do this. Just pick up a game or two with some teams that are your level.

512Buckeye
Waterboy

Post by 512Buckeye »

You play to win and you play to make the playoffs. Being afraid to get your ass kicked is a sad excuse to opt out of an opportunity to play against the best talent in the state. What’s the point of even finishing the season? Kids can get hurt against bad teams too.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

512Buckeye wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 pm You play to win and you play to make the playoffs. Being afraid to get your ass kicked is a sad excuse to opt out of an opportunity to play against the best talent in the state. What’s the point of even finishing the season? Kids can get hurt against bad teams too.
Not really playing to make the playoffs this year though. Easy thing to say sitting on a computer, but do you know whether the coaches discussed it with the team?? Seems like more factors in play than just saying, why don't you want to go drive couple hrs to get beat by 60, playoffs spots are simply not earned this year they are given.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Just because every Joey in the state could get a trophy (playoff patch) and the school can put up a banner for this year is no reason to lead all the lambs to slaughter. I would hope most district administrators, a.d.'s , coaches and fans understand this. If not, then we've really completely lost touch with expectations, reality and normalcy.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm Just because every Joey in the state could get a trophy (playoff patch) and the school can put up a banner for this year is no reason to lead all the lambs to slaughter. I would hope most district administrators, a.d.'s , coaches and fans understand this. If not, then we've really completely lost touch with expectations, reality and normalcy.
How does the playoffs work? Do teams get byes.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm Just because every Joey in the state could get a trophy (playoff patch) and the school can put up a banner for this year is no reason to lead all the lambs to slaughter. I would hope most district administrators, a.d.'s , coaches and fans understand this. If not, then we've really completely lost touch with expectations, reality and normalcy.
How does the playoffs work? Do teams get byes.
Who knows at this point. They've still gotta figure out who all opts out by the 17th I think, then they'll do seeding of the region's and teams opting in by next weekend I believe. It's all nuts this year !!!!! Heck with it, give everyone a trophy and move on to next year.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

512Buckeye wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 pm You play to win and you play to make the playoffs. Being afraid to get your ass kicked is a sad excuse to opt out of an opportunity to play against the best talent in the state. What’s the point of even finishing the season? Kids can get hurt against bad teams too.
Except this year, no one played to make the playoffs. OHSAA just said everyone is automatically in regardless of record. Dumb argument drawn out of the dumb argument hat.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

For teams that have no shot at winning a playoff game it would be a lot easier to schedule games now for weeks 7-10 against other teams that have opt out than play a game get killed and try to schedule a game in less than a weeks time

512Buckeye
Waterboy

Post by 512Buckeye »

greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:26 pm
Not really playing to make the playoffs this year though. Easy thing to say sitting on a computer, but do you know whether the coaches discussed it with the team?? Seems like more factors in play than just saying, why don't you want to go drive couple hrs to get beat by 60, playoffs spots are simply not earned this year they are given.
It’s easy to sit behind a computer when you’ve played the game you’re entire life and understand what it’s like to win by 50 at the high school level and lose by 50 at the college level. As far as your question about knowing if the coaches discussed it with the team, imagine being a coach that talked about not giving up and giving it everything you have during conditioning to turn around and ask his team if they want to play patty cake or play in the state playoffs.

Why even have a football program?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Do you think we will see some kids, for example basketball players, chose not to play weeks 7-10 if their school opts out of the playoffs? I know there is the same chance of getting hurt the first practice of basketball season, I get it. But do you think some players would not play as a precaution? Would coaches play more underclassmen to prepare for the future?

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

transplant wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 am Do you think we will see some kids, for example basketball players, chose not to play weeks 7-10 if their school opts out of the playoffs? I know there is the same chance of getting hurt the first practice of basketball season, I get it. But do you think some players would not play as a precaution? Would coaches play more underclassmen to prepare for the future?
Exactly. This will be interesting. Not just those that choose to opt out but those teams that lose in the first round, second round...will they stick around and play week 9 or 10 just to play?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yes it will be. I mean, lets be honest, the weeks 7-10 games would pretty much be scrimmages at that point right? Not playing for playoffs or league titles. I get it, kids want to play and all that, but would be a hard call to make in some situations.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

512Buckeye wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:26 pm
It’s easy to sit behind a computer when you’ve played the game you’re entire life and understand what it’s like to win by 50 at the high school level and lose by 50 at the college level. As far as your question about knowing if the coaches discussed it with the team, imagine being a coach that talked about not giving up and giving it everything you have during conditioning to turn around and ask his team if they want to play patty cake or play in the state playoffs.

Why even have a football program?
That's my point you don't know what all went into the decision. Coaches, kids, parents, school board, injuries already occured, expenses, just more factors then sitting here saying why have football? Maybe with covid they don't want to take any further chances. I'm just not questioning a decision made by a program when I don't know all the details to it.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

what about seniors?
i believe you can play regular season out to week 12.
folks went nuts saying my kid is a senior the governor blah blah blah.
considering the history of the hocking besides trimble last 7 years or so they have had the doors blown off.
seniors would want to play as many as they could i would think

Return to “Football”