Playoff Opt Outs

Kurgan74
JV Team

Playoff Opt Outs

Post by Kurgan74 »

How many teams do you feel will elect not to participate in the OHSAA playoffs.

E High
All State

Re: Playoff Opt Outs

Post by E High »

Maybe a hand full. Many almost never make the playoffs or win 1 game. Some will be so excited to make the playoffs, they’ll probably have a parade in there downtown.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

I wouldn't call it "making" the playoffs. If your 0-6 and want to play you can, but it wasn't earned. It's a money ploy.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Bumpy
Freshman Team

Post by Bumpy »

I think there are going to be quite a few opt outs, since the lowest seeded team (probably 0-6) plays at the top seed (probably 6-0) the talent gap is going to be very wide. Imagine the 0-6 team that has to travel to Coldwater, that game could very well be 42-0 at the end of 1 quarter. And in D7 Marion Local will be so much better than the lowest seeds in its region that it could be a safety issue. Some coaches will use common sense and spare themselves a huge embarrassment and possibly unneeded injuries to his players.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Bumpy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:01 am I think there are going to be quite a few opt outs, since the lowest seeded team (probably 0-6) plays at the top seed (probably 6-0) the talent gap is going to be very wide. Imagine the 0-6 team that has to travel to Coldwater, that game could very well be 42-0 at the end of 1 quarter. And in D7 Marion Local will be so much better than the lowest seeds in its region that it could be a safety issue. Some coaches will use common sense and spare themselves a huge embarrassment and possibly unneeded injuries to his players.
You have to opt out by Sept. 17 so teams will only have 3 games in at that point.

Bumpy
Freshman Team

Post by Bumpy »

Thats a good point, but I believe that even after only 3 games most coaches are gonna have a good read on how good/bad his team really is. I just don't want to see a very inferior team get annihilated in what may be that school's 1st & only playoff appearance.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Bumpy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:46 am Thats a good point, but I believe that even after only 3 games most coaches are gonna have a good read on how good/bad his team really is. I just don't want to see a very inferior team get annihilated in what may be that school's 1st & only playoff appearance.
Trust me, almost every team Will plays playoff game. Good for the coaches and schools egos.

blueskin
Riding the Bench

Post by blueskin »

E High wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:48 pm
Trust me, almost every team Will plays playoff game. Good for the coaches and schools egos.
How good is it for your ego when you lose by 80?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

blueskin wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:23 am
E High wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:48 pm
How good is it for your ego when you lose by 80?
Not at all, but most everyone thinks they can win the next game. The expanded playoff was a stupid idea. It was stupid to expand the playoffs earlier, then they expanded it again recently.

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

loganlocos wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:31 am
Bumpy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:01 am I think there are going to be quite a few opt outs, since the lowest seeded team (probably 0-6) plays at the top seed (probably 6-0) the talent gap is going to be very wide. Imagine the 0-6 team that has to travel to Coldwater, that game could very well be 42-0 at the end of 1 quarter. And in D7 Marion Local will be so much better than the lowest seeds in its region that it could be a safety issue. Some coaches will use common sense and spare themselves a huge embarrassment and possibly unneeded injuries to his players.
You have to opt out by Sept. 17 so teams will only have 3 games in at that point.
Actually, teams have to "opt-in" by Sept. 17. Then they will draw the regions, and teams will have until Sept. 24 to "opt-out".

Enforcer
Freshman Team

Post by Enforcer »

is every team making the playoffs reguardless of record??

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

Enforcer wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:54 pm is every team making the playoffs reguardless of record??
yes. This season only. Goes to top 12 in each region starting in 2021.

Return to “Football”