Post by mattash »

Who can bench the most?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Re: Symmes Valley Annual Bench Press & Deadlift

Post by mattash »

Probably a Coal Grove or Nelsonville kid? They same to have great weightlifting programs.

Michael Scott
bfry
JV Team

Re: Weight Lifting

Post by bfry »

I love these meets. Great competition. Coupled with functional movements, they make kids, not only healthier, but better athletes. Awesome to see. Symmes and Coal Grove have been a couple of the biggest advocates for years.

Leave No Doubt
Riding the Bench

Post by Leave No Doubt »

bfry wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:22 pm I love these meets. Great competition. Coupled with functional movements, they make kids, not only healthier, but better athletes. Awesome to see. Symmes and Coal Grove have been a couple of the biggest advocates for years.
I hope everyone we play in basketball believe in what you say cause that weitgh lifting will throw off there shots. If you haven't noticed we are hard to beat on the hardwood and are boys don't touch the weights.

LEAVE NO DOUBT, TORNADOES!
OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

Leave No Doubt wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:17 am
bfry wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:22 pm I love these meets. Great competition. Coupled with functional movements, they make kids, not only healthier, but better athletes. Awesome to see. Symmes and Coal Grove have been a couple of the biggest advocates for years.
I hope everyone we play in basketball believe in what you say cause that weitgh lifting will throw off there shots. If you haven't noticed we are hard to beat on the hardwood and are boys don't touch the weights.
ok, boomer

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Leave No Doubt wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:17 am
Coach Carl never let us do no dang lifting and we was almost champions of the whole state twice. Dribbling ain’t got nothing to do with lifting and it definitely throws off yer shot. One time I did a pyramid on the old universal before practice and I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn for two days. After that coach said no more waits

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

mattash wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:09 pm Who can bench the most?
Kurt Roberts of Athens has to be the strongest ever from Athens County

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I enjoy going to Kenton during the state powerlifting meet. It’s fun to see the kids lift. There are some monsters up there. Last year 2 burg, a Portsmouth and a coal grove kid won there weight class. Pretty good showing from southern Ohio.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:27 pm
mattash wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:09 pm Who can bench the most?
Kurt Roberts of Athens has to be the strongest ever from Athens County
Trimble's Mike Thompson actually topped him at a meet. Mike benched 410lbs, and narrowly missed 425, which he got up but it wasn't a clean lift, in the 210 weight class. That same year Randy Waldeck, also from Trimble, won the state powerlifting meet and set a new deadlift record of 650lbs.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

That aint nothin. We had a kid here in Racine we all called the Whopper. I saw him once pick up the front end of a D-9 dozer. He would have crushed that state record but we weasnt allowed to lift waits because it throws off yer shot. But that boy was country strong. He lead us to five straight undefeated seasons in junior high football.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Almost Champions wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:15 pm That aint nothin. We had a kid here in Racine we all called the Whopper. I saw him once pick up the front end of a D-9 dozer. He would have crushed that state record but we weasnt allowed to lift waits because it throws off yer shot. But that boy was country strong. He lead us to five straight undefeated seasons in junior high football.
He played for "five straight seasons" in Jr High? Sounds about right for Southern. :lol:

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

Almost Champions wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:15 pm That aint nothin. We had a kid here in Racine we all called the Whopper. I saw him once pick up the front end of a D-9 dozer. He would have crushed that state record but we weasnt allowed to lift waits because it throws off yer shot. But that boy was country strong. He lead us to five straight undefeated seasons in junior high football.
Need to get with the times jackazss. :mrgreen:

https://www.stack.com/a/never-lift-on-g ... XALCckvsZw

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

NY Tomcat wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:07 am
Need to get with the times jackazss. :mrgreen:

https://www.stack.com/a/never-lift-on-g ... XALCckvsZw
It is unfortunate that our athletes are told that lifting screws up your shooting. It's only cheating the kids to tell them that and it gives the ones who really don't want to lift an excuse not too. It's selfish for any coach to do this, but unfortunately it not only happens but is condoned by the admin at our school cause they are old school basketball guys themselves. They're living in their glory days of he 1980"s. :?

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Re: Symmes Valley Weight Lifting Meet

Post by DUNK1 »

My boy has them cats doing polymetrics
That’s why they can jump out of the gym

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

How long does this last? Couple hours, all day, are their bleachers for parents, do we need to bring seats? Thanks.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

meet day

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Rvfan wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:43 pm How long does this last? Couple hours, all day, are their bleachers for parents, do we need to bring seats? Thanks.

yes there will be seating

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Michael Scott
eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Thanks for sharing that link Matt, found a couple of my boy! Power lifting meets are fun to watch, kids from all schools cheering on others.

Return to “Football”