Ironton at Wheelersburg, 2020

MrFirstTake
SE

Re: Ironton at Wheelersburg, 2020

Post by MrFirstTake »

I think once he gets in the program and starts practicing among the other buckeyes he will be just fine. Also idk if you guys know this but every kid in Ohio states 2021 class wanted to make sure this was the one kid who they got to come there and join them none of them wanted carrico to go anywhere else I think that speaks volumes
Last edited by MrFirstTake on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

One year of Pendleton’s weight training did great things for him wait until he gets in that buckeyes program lmao he is going to be a monster

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Jr High scores dont matter. JV scores dont matter. Want to know what matters? Varsity scores.

30-6 this season. I expect it to be worse next year.

Outside of Mathews I really see no stand out playmakers at the skill positions at Burg. Maybe they have some on JV that will move up.

I do see a lot of returning talent for Ironton. Sorry folks.....Ironton will rule the region for a few more years.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg will be fine. Probably a repeat of this year. Favorite to win the SOC and Ironton on paper should be favorite, however Ironton loses quite a bit. I think Freshman QB for Ironton is probably going to win the job however he wont have the experience like salyers. But when you have Carrico, you've got fire power. Burg will be more balanced but lose a bigtime playmaker. I could see the coaching staff at burg getting creative on how to move the ball. I'll be excited to see what they come up with.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Miller was gonna be the quarterback at Wheelersburg had he played. They made it sound as if there was a competition because they were concerned that the other 2 may transfer out. Miller if healthy will be the quarterback and I agree with the others the freshman isn't a quarterback.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:10 pm Miller was gonna be the quarterback at Wheelersburg had he played. They made it sound as if there was a competition because they were concerned that the other 2 may transfer out. Miller if healthy will be the quarterback and I agree with the others the freshman isn't a quarterback.
Those guys aren't going to transfer out, and there was a QB competition. There's always one.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

dem fighting tigers gonna keep rolling along. kickin butts n taking names.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:32 pm
Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:10 pm Miller was gonna be the quarterback at Wheelersburg had he played. They made it sound as if there was a competition because they were concerned that the other 2 may transfer out. Miller if healthy will be the quarterback and I agree with the others the freshman isn't a quarterback.
Those guys aren't going to transfer out, and there was a QB competition. There's always one.
Miller would have been qb this year because the other 2 had no varsity experience. Miller is better suited as a wideout-slot. It’s always a competition at every position at burg. They had a district player of year and Allstate player beat out a few years back. Way to early but based on the last 50 years I’ll go out on a limb and say the burgs going to be ok.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

the success at ironton this year. and what coach Pendleton has done in just his second year are going to be extremely lucrative looking to an athlete at an adjoining school district. they just played in a state game. something the vast majority of schools never, ever have experienced unless they attended them somewhere. this was ironton's 9th appearance in the state title game. and folks are going to take notice that have exceptional athletes in places they'll get little to no exposure in the system they are currently in. so through whomevers decision it is, I expect to see more transfers. as long as everything is done the right way. it was unheard of when I played. but open enrollment has opened this door I believe to even up the field a little bit with private/catholic schools competitively wise. heck I done it with my 2 sons. there were other factors, but I did, and I'm glad my sons got to experience the rock hill district up till their junior high years, and then they went to ironton. and every weekend and summer night the house was filled with ironton and rock hill kids. all having madden tournaments. there at anytime could have 4/5 TV's running at the same time while they competed. and they were kids raised with respect , and they all got along great. sometimes we had young'uns from the symmes valley district as well. you never knew who to expect. I certainly miss those days. because I generally was right in the thick of it surrounded by all these wonderful young men..

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:16 am the success at ironton this year. and what coach Pendleton has done in just his second year are going to be extremely lucrative looking to an athlete at an adjoining school district. they just played in a state game. something the vast majority of schools never, ever have experienced unless they attended them somewhere. this was ironton's 9th appearance in the state title game. and folks are going to take notice that have exceptional athletes in places they'll get little to no exposure in the system they are currently in. so through whomevers decision it is, I expect to see more transfers. as long as everything is done the right way. it was unheard of when I played. but open enrollment has opened this door I believe to even up the field a little bit with private/catholic schools competitively wise. heck I done it with my 2 sons. there were other factors, but I did, and I'm glad my sons got to experience the rock hill district up till their junior high years, and then they went to ironton. and every weekend and summer night the house was filled with ironton and rock hill kids. all having madden tournaments. there at anytime could have 4/5 TV's running at the same time while they competed. and they were kids raised with respect , and they all got along great. sometimes we had young'uns from the symmes valley district as well. you never knew who to expect. I certainly miss those days. because I generally was right in the thick of it surrounded by all these wonderful young men..
Recruiting pitch Bait? Lucrative? Exposure? What are you talking about? Blaine Scott is playing for West Virginia, he played at East high school. Pleasant from Coal Grove is about to get drafted to the NFL. You talk as if open enrollment is a recruiting tool.

If a new student comes to Ironton next year through open enrollment, if done correctly, they will have to sit out the latter part of the season. Otherwise they will actually have to prove they have moved into district. I read somewhere where one of Ironton's transfers was checked upon several times during the season. Not sure what they were looking for other than they wanted proof that they were actually living there.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Talent is only part of being recognized, the other part is the old "Who ya know." A good example of this is Cain Madden aka Dump Truck of Minford, he was going to Fairmont, WV to play DII football. A Minford coach who was a former Marshall player had direct access to Marshall's coaching staff was able to fast track Cain into Marshall's program for a tryout and, eventually he was awarded a walk-on scholarship. Cain became a starter at OG for Marshall as a Redshirt Freshman. Currently in his RSJR year, he's been awarded the C-USA O-lineman of the week a handful of times. Maybe the NFL is in his future? We'll see, but without someone who knew the Marshall staff, Cain may have been stuck in Fairmont, WV for 4-yrs and never found.

I also agree a kid can be found anywhere, but it never hurts to know someone with direct access to D1 BIG10 programs such as Pendleton. Otherwise, you're counting on your coaching staff to send out info to college coaches to get recognition and a little luck some staff member takes the time to watch a highlight film.

Pendleton went to Michigan State via West Portsmouth and, was discovered by attending offseason football camps. So that's also a route, but those camps aren't free and many families simply cannot afford to send their kids to summer football camps. Then it'll come down to who ya know to get a grant to attend a camp or two.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:45 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:16 am the success at ironton this year. and what coach Pendleton has done in just his second year are going to be extremely lucrative looking to an athlete at an adjoining school district. they just played in a state game. something the vast majority of schools never, ever have experienced unless they attended them somewhere. this was ironton's 9th appearance in the state title game. and folks are going to take notice that have exceptional athletes in places they'll get little to no exposure in the system they are currently in. so through whomevers decision it is, I expect to see more transfers. as long as everything is done the right way. it was unheard of when I played. but open enrollment has opened this door I believe to even up the field a little bit with private/catholic schools competitively wise. heck I done it with my 2 sons. there were other factors, but I did, and I'm glad my sons got to experience the rock hill district up till their junior high years, and then they went to ironton. and every weekend and summer night the house was filled with ironton and rock hill kids. all having madden tournaments. there at anytime could have 4/5 TV's running at the same time while they competed. and they were kids raised with respect , and they all got along great. sometimes we had young'uns from the symmes valley district as well. you never knew who to expect. I certainly miss those days. because I generally was right in the thick of it surrounded by all these wonderful young men..
Recruiting pitch Bait? Lucrative? Exposure? What are you talking about? Blaine Scott is playing for West Virginia, he played at East high school. Pleasant from Coal Grove is about to get drafted to the NFL. You talk as if open enrollment is a recruiting tool.

If a new student comes to Ironton next year through open enrollment, if done correctly, they will have to sit out the latter part of the season. Otherwise they will actually have to prove they have moved into district. I read somewhere where one of Ironton's transfers was checked upon several times during the season. Not sure what they were looking for other than they wanted proof that they were actually living there.
Yeah Ironton has been there 9 times but lost 7 of those games wow not a good record at state but does it matter? Or is it ok just to get there?

Burg grad 85
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

vladimir wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:20 pm Talent is only part of being recognized, the other part is the old "Who ya know." A good example of this is Cain Madden aka Dump Truck of Minford, he was going to Fairmont, WV to play DII football. A Minford coach who was a former Marshall player had direct access to Marshall's coaching staff was able to fast track Cain into Marshall's program for a tryout and, eventually he was awarded a walk-on scholarship. Cain became a starter at OG for Marshall as a Redshirt Freshman. Currently in his RSJR year, he's been awarded the C-USA O-lineman of the week a handful of times. Maybe the NFL is in his future? We'll see, but without someone who knew the Marshall staff, Cain may have been stuck in Fairmont, WV for 4-yrs and never found.

I also agree a kid can be found anywhere, but it never hurts to know someone with direct access to D1 BIG10 programs such as Pendleton. Otherwise, you're counting on your coaching staff to send out info to college coaches to get recognition and a little luck some staff member takes the time to watch a highlight film.

Pendleton went to Michigan State via West Portsmouth and, was discovered by attending offseason football camps. So that's also a route, but those camps aren't free and many families simply cannot afford to send their kids to summer football camps. Then it'll come down to who ya know to get a grant to attend a camp or two.
I don't agree with the who you know. Think about it. Who did Coach Gifford know from WVU to get Blaine Scott noticed? Who did he know from Ohio State for Tyler Gerald? The truth is high level D1 athletes like Carrico, Madden, Holden are a rare commodities and truly don't come around that often. You have the talent or you don't. Today's self recruiting platforms have changed the landscape of recruiting, and you can get your name out there, regardless.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Well without Madden knowing a coach that was a former player for Marshall, he'd be stuck up in Fairmont, WV playing D2. Just Sayin'.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

kantucky wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:12 am
PirateFan[69] wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:46 am
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:58 pm
I don't think Penleton would every go back to West. I see him maybe taking a job at a college, probably Michigan State..
Ironton is going to have a down year. Carrico is overrated. Burg's upcoming sophomore QB Kenny Sanderlin is gonna run southeast Ohio. Mark my words.
Ka-Jing!!! Shake your milk jug and ring your cowbells!

This has to be the post of the year!! I'm not only going to mark your words but heck, I'm going build a shrine to them!!

HEY BETSY! WE NEED MORE COWBELL!! GIVE IT TO US!!
This coming August, instead of telling us they are 5 deep throughout the lineup with burners at all the skills, they will be the southern Ohio Mater Dei. 😂 Mark it down now!

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 am As a Burg fan, I would like to think that there will be some major production coming up through the ranks, but the bottom line is that this is a wait and see matter. I know the Freshman/JV teams played fairly well last year but that is worlds away from what is needed to win a Friday night game. At this point in time, it is hard to see my Pirates improving enough to beat Ironton this year with what Ironton has coming back on the Oline and of course Carrico. My Pirates will have some good athletes but replacing Mathews/Horsely will be tough to do, not to mention replacing most of the O/D lines. Could be another tough year by Wheelersburg standards.
Best representation of Burgs fan base on this platform. Fair. Reasonable. Not bitter. No illogical claims. No whining about recruiting etc. Fact of the matter is, schools in that area because they are so small, are gonna absorb more impact from just normal attrition. Ironton did. Now Burg is. The tide has shifted a bit. Change is difficult sometimes.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

wobycat wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:33 pm
vladimir wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:20 pm Talent is only part of being recognized, the other part is the old "Who ya know." A good example of this is Cain Madden aka Dump Truck of Minford, he was going to Fairmont, WV to play DII football. A Minford coach who was a former Marshall player had direct access to Marshall's coaching staff was able to fast track Cain into Marshall's program for a tryout and, eventually he was awarded a walk-on scholarship. Cain became a starter at OG for Marshall as a Redshirt Freshman. Currently in his RSJR year, he's been awarded the C-USA O-lineman of the week a handful of times. Maybe the NFL is in his future? We'll see, but without someone who knew the Marshall staff, Cain may have been stuck in Fairmont, WV for 4-yrs and never found.

I don't agree with the who you know. Think about it. Who did Coach Gifford know from WVU to get Blaine Scott noticed? Who did he know from Ohio State for Tyler Gerald? The truth is high level D1 athletes like Carrico, Madden, Holden are a rare commodities and truly don't come around that often. You have the talent or you don't. Today's self recruiting platforms have changed the landscape of recruiting, and you can get your name out there, regardless.
Any D1 talent from schools like Ironton, Burg etc are gonna be few and sometimes even far between. That said, smaller programs have forged really solid programs that develop talent as well as coach it. I would go as far to say that even though a kid like Carrico had the raw physical ability, his last two seasons being developed by this new staff played a major role in him transitioning from talented to elite.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

scott1297 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Yeah Ironton has been there 9 times but lost 7 of those games wow not a good record at state but does it matter? Or is it ok just to get there?
Your program has to have 9 before you can ask.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

I think its apparent that Pendletons connections via his career places Ironton in a desirable destination for talented athletes in the area. Thats not a bad thing. Thats what its all about.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

SpeedKillz wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:25 pm
scott1297 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Your program has to have 9 before you can ask.
Touche lol.

You burned him alive.

Return to “Football”