State Championship 14-0 Kirtland v the 13-1 Ironton Fighting Tigers

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: State Championship 14-0 Kirtland v the 13-1 Ironton Fighting Tigers

Post by greygoose »

SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:41 am
caliron wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:34 pm First post. Most posters seem to think this game will be strictly power vs power and nobody is talking about Ironton's passing offense (and defense) which may very well be the difference in the outcome. Kirtland seems like the old Ironton that had a great very disciplined running attack but somewhat ineffective passing game. In many ways, this game is kind of like Old Ironton vs New Ironton.

Go Tigers, watching from California.
That's pretty fair in my opinion. It looks like Kirtland likes to throw around 3 to 5 tiimes a game, ideally. It will be interesting to see if they have to alter their approach a bit because, I gotta be honest, I do not believe they are more physical, and I do not believe they are faster, and I do not see any depth advantage for Kirtland, and I do believe Ironton enjoys the advantage of size, power and experience. Special teams, I am checking the box for Ironton as well. I think the early framers of this contest had this whole narrative backwards. I think Ironton outmuscles Kirtland.
Dang, should Kirtland even show up?? I'm sure they've never seen anything like this before, when they were playing Coldwater, Minster, multiple times against Marie Stein Local all of these perennial powerhouse programs from the MAC. I'm sure in most cases the boxes aren't checked for them but somehow they manage to just get it done there's a reason for that and it goes beyond fans looking at a checkmark in a box saying this team or that team has the advantage on paper. Paper advantages never won a game. They will not change their approach, you're not naïve enough to believe Ironton is the only team they've faced where others felt they were at a disadvantage?? Against Marie Stein Local they ran it 63 times for 303 for a title last year and Marie Stein is the Apex opponent for any teams title run within that division, it runs through Marie Stein. Each one of your post basically have Ironton running away with it because of a paper advantage, I hope this is the case but this is going to be a knock down drag out game from start to finish and hopefully Ironton can pull out the win where it counts, on the field.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Best of luck to the most historic high school football program in southern Ohio.
Make the banks of the Ohio river proud and bring yet another championship to Ironton.
Go Tigers!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

burgfella69 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:09 am
Tigeralum71 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:45 pm From Thurs Dec 5 Cleveland Plan Dealer (Cleveland.com):

Kirtland’s OHSAA state championship return starts at the ‘Church of Iron’

KIRTLAND, Ohio — Ray Sullivan opens Kirtland’s weight room every day. On Sunday mornings, it is the “Church of Iron.”

Sermons this year required extra donations of sweat and effort for what Kirtland needed to replace up front.

Kirtland coach Tiger LaVerde has praised Sullivan, one of his assistants who also is the football program's strength and conditioning coordinator, during many of the Hornets' runs to the state finals. That didn't change this year, as the task increased with Kirtland losing all but two or three starters to graduation and moving up to Division V.

"Our success will have a lot to do with what they did in the offseason, and that had a lot to do with Ray," LaVerde said back in August, unsure of what to expect after last year's undefeated Division VI state championship run.

Yet here is Kirtland (14-0) ready to face Ironton (13-1) at 8 p.m. Saturday in the OHSAA D-V state championship at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton.

The Hornets are smaller. Most of their defenders, outside of senior lineman Mike Alfieri, weigh no more than 200 pounds.

Their competition is bigger, moving up after championship runs in Division VI during 2018, '15 and '13.

And the results have been the same.

Sullivan said 18 players are members of their 900-Pound Club, a max-out test conducted in August of combined bench press, squad and clean lifts. Eighteen made the club last year during Kirtland's state title run, and 18 more this year despite the team being significantly smaller. Only three members of the club weigh at least 200 pounds.

"These kids push for each other," Sullivan said. "They don't just strive for the 900-Pound Club. They push for everybody."

Real Iron Men come from Ironton, Go get 'em TIgers!!
Oh my. Lost all but three starters. That answers my questions. Nobody back from that loaded state title team last year. This could get interesting. Don't know how accurate that 3 kids above 200 is though
Kirtland Defense

DE 12 Mike Rus 5-10 165 Sr.
DT 52 Braydon Adkins 5-09 190 Sr.
DT 72 Mike Alfieri 5-10 230 Sr.
DE 45 Jaymes Torok 6-00 210 Sr.
8 Zach Samsa 6-03 215 Sr.
OLB 1 Mason Sullivan 6-00 195 Jr.
ILB 23 Carson Andonian 5-10 160 Jr.
ILB 10 Louie Loncar 5-11 200 Sr.
OLB 28 Luke Gardner 5-09 175 Sr.
DB 19 Tommy Drazetic 5-11 185 Sr.
DB 2 Joey Grazia 5-10 150 Jr.
S 16 Anthony Demarco 5-11 185 Jr.
P 72 Mike Alfieri 5-10 230 Sr

Kirtland Offense

TE 8 Zach Samsa 6-03 215 Sr.
LT 72 Mike Alfieri 5-10 230 Sr.
LG 50 Kristian Grman 5-09 205 Jr.
C 57 Jacob Malvocino 5-09 230 Sr.
RG 52 Braydon Adkins 5-09 190 Sr.
RT 51 Logan Snodell 6-01 275 Sr.
TE 19 Tommy Drazetic 5-11 185 Sr.
20 Gage Sullivan 5-11 185 Jr.
QB 13 Liam Powers 5-10 180 Jr.
11 Jonathan Ridgeway 5-10 155 Sr.
RB 28 Luke Gardner 5-09 175 Sr.
RB 1 Mason Sullivan 6-00 195 Jr.
FB 18 Anthony Demarco 5-11 185 Jr.
PK 83 Mario Rodin 6-01 160 Jr.

They are small comparably but fast and strong, they have 18 Players in the 900 lb Club in weight lifting.
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

oh and their previous ships ended in the year '9.
Destiny! lol

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:46 am
Izladoom wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:22 am Kirtland is just a different beast I just don’t see ironton keeping this close they would have to play a perfect game
😂😂😂 what?
Stay humble my friends , Ironton has a great football team this year, and Kirtland has a great football team for the last decade … I just hope that this game stays close, so Ironton can pull out the win.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

History and tradition doesn’t win games all that matters is this year. New teams new year both are here so both are capable of winning

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Kirtland is fast, strong and executes their plays to perfection. Ironton will have their hands full, but I'm predicting a quick game with Ironton prevailing 17-14. Nailing a FG with less than 1:00 left in the game.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:52 am Best of luck to the most historic high school football program in southern Ohio.
Make the banks of the Ohio river proud and bring yet another championship to Ironton.
Go Tigers!
Ironton has already made southern Ohio proud win or lose! From this Burg fan I want to wish the Tigers the best of luck and to all the fans have safe travels because it is one heck of a drive

Burg grad 85
14U
S

Post by 14U »

scott1297 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 pm
victor creed wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 pm Does anyone have a score on the Massillon game tonight. Really thought there would be a thread
I just finished watching it all games are being aired on spectrum news channel 1 LaSalle 34 to 17 final fun game to watch
Out of town and thought there would be a thread too but that’s fine when we have members with the info we need, thanks

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Attention Spectrum customers. I am currently watching the D6 title game on my tv on channel one. It also shows the D5 game tomorrow night.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Rooting hard for the Tigers, I think Kirtland wins because of the been there done that before component to this game, but wow man what a season for Ironton.

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

This Ironton team is just different .. this game will not be to big for them , everyone says it started with the Ashland loss I think it started at the Gallia academy game yes they was over rated but the team didn’t know that they absolutely dominated that game from the whistle and I know they heard a lot of man there big and man they are just better all week and Irontons response was attack , that’s all they know . I don’t think Ironton is 20 points better than Kirkland but I can see where this game could snowball into just that .. ironton wins and wins convincingly

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

frankie wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:51 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:45 pm Hey people, READ the title. The name of the school is...………………………………

KIRTLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Kirkland
You can't stay off an Ironton thread and have nothing to post so you spell check. :lol:

Beat Kirkland!! You happy now. 😃😃

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

first team to 21 will win this will be a slug fest hoping to catch this on spectrum rooting on the tigers. hopefully that’ll put more respect on Southern Ohio football

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
caliron
Waterboy

Post by caliron »

Tripaces wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm This Ironton team is just different .. this game will not be to big for them , everyone says it started with the Ashland loss I think it started at the Gallia academy game yes they was over rated but the team didn’t know that they absolutely dominated that game from the whistle and I know they heard a lot of man there big and man they are just better all week and Irontons response was attack , that’s all they know . I don’t think Ironton is 20 points better than Kirkland but I can see where this game could snowball into just that .. ironton wins and wins convincingly
Of course it is not good to be overconfident but since I'm not playing, it doesn't matter so I tend to agree this may not be close. Interesting the Tigers gave up the first score in the last 2 games but man did they respond. We'll know soon.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

caliron wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:47 pm
Tripaces wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm This Ironton team is just different .. this game will not be to big for them , everyone says it started with the Ashland loss I think it started at the Gallia academy game yes they was over rated but the team didn’t know that they absolutely dominated that game from the whistle and I know they heard a lot of man there big and man they are just better all week and Irontons response was attack , that’s all they know . I don’t think Ironton is 20 points better than Kirkland but I can see where this game could snowball into just that .. ironton wins and wins convincingly
Of course it is not good to be overconfident but since I'm not playing, it doesn't matter so I tend to agree this may not be close. Interesting the Tigers gave up the first score in the last 2 games but man did they respond. We'll know soon.
I agree I don’t play now so my opinion won’t make ironton underestimate Kirtland. I’m sure the coaches are doing a great job of getting them motivated I just feel if ironton plays a clean game full of their capabilities they will win

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Seen this on the yappi site:

Just saw a story on the news about the Kirtland Band raising funds to give to the Ironton Band so they could play at the state championship game. The story said that the arrangements for the buses couldn't be done in time, so Ironton had to send the money back. But, the Ironton schools decided to pony up the money so the band could attend. No judgment here, but kudos to the Kirtland Band for this gracious gesture.

Hats off to Kirtland Band for trying to help out, but why would Ironton not have sent the band to begin with??

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I hope the Tigers fair better than the first 2 Tigers team to play and now the Mansfield Tygers just fell apart in OT. So that's 0-3 for a team with a Tigers/Tygers Congrats to Trotwood Madison though went into the playoffs as the #7 seed in their region and walked out a State Champion.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:43 pm I hope the Tigers fair better than the first 2 Tigers team to play and now the Mansfield Tygers just fell apart in OT. So that's 0-3 for a team with a Tigers/Tygers Congrats to Trotwood Madison though went into the playoffs as the #7 seed in their region and walked out a State Champion.
TM looking for a league now as they were basically kicked out by the other schools. They've loaded up with West and North side Dayton kids for years in basketball & football and since OHSAA won't take it seriously, well I guess the conference can. :lol:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

Ironton wins the battle in the trenches
Ironton 38
KirKland 16
😆

I’m a neutral fannnnn of every one in southern ohio

Return to “Football”