Will Fed Hock have football?

100% Tomcat
Waterboy

Will Fed Hock have football?

Post by 100% Tomcat »

Would be sad if teams are notified too late again next year.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Will Fed Hock have football?

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I'm assuming it will depend on how many come out for football next season. It's probably way too early to make this decision.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

8 man would be a way to go, until they can get the numbers up.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I'm not worried because Fed has 3 Superintendents along with an Athletic Direct and they are getting paid good money to figure this out.
Last edited by fortdawg on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pic A Way
Waterboy

Post by Pic A Way »

They shouldn't be allowed to for 2 seasons

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I would not single out Federal Hocking on this. The possibility exists for other schools in the SEOP footprint to have to cancel games or the entire season over lack of players. I know it is impossible to project participation numbers eight months ahead of the next season, but there needs to be some mechanism within the leagues for schools to have to declare intent to play early enough to allow other members to adjust their schedules.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Omega wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:53 am I would not single out Federal Hocking on this. The possibility exists for other schools in the SEOP footprint to have to cancel games or the entire season over lack of players. I know it is impossible to project participation numbers eight months ahead of the next season, but there needs to be some mechanism within the leagues for schools to have to declare intent to play early enough to allow other members to adjust their schedules.
Agreed on some kind of pre-season mechanism for other conference opponents. Easy answer may be if you cancel a league game for whatever reason, you're automatically ineligible for league-play next 1-2 seasons and have to go to an independent schedule. Doesn't mean conference opponents couldn't still keep you on schedule, just means it wouldn't count as a conference game.

The easy answer for nonconference opponents is to do your research and not schedule these teams if it even a question. Any nonconference opponent who hasn't already dropped Fed Hock (or other similar schools) for next season deserves what they probably gonna get (last-minute cancellation with nobody left to fill the opening)*

Bird-Of-Prey
Waterboy

Post by Bird-Of-Prey »

I grew up in the Fed Hock district in the late 70s. At the time, a lot of bigs choose vocational school located in Nelsonville. If you look at the map of Athens Co., the distance from Coolville (a population area) to Nelsonville is 30 plus miles. It really isn't feasible to attend vocational school and participate in sports. That wouldn't be an issue for Nelsonville HS or Trimble students.

Route 50 to 33 has improve significantly since then but it's still a distance. It would be interesting to know how many Federal Hocking boys attend Tri Valley JVS. Given the area, Tri Valley is or was a good alternative for skills training.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Bird-Of-Prey wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:07 pm I grew up in the Fed Hock district in the late 70s. At the time, a lot of bigs choose vocational school located in Nelsonville. If you look at the map of Athens Co., the distance from Coolville (a population area) to Nelsonville is 30 plus miles. It really isn't feasible to attend vocational school and participate in sports. That wouldn't be an issue for Nelsonville HS or Trimble students.

Route 50 to 33 has improve significantly since then but it's still a distance. It would be interesting to know how many Federal Hocking boys attend Tri Valley JVS. Given the area, Tri Valley is or was a good alternative for skills training.
It's Tri-County lol
And it's Tri-County career center not jvs anymore lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

How many kids were on the team/healthy when they canceled? I would think if they'd look at their pee wee and junior high numbers that should give them an idea of which direction to go.

Bird-Of-Prey
Waterboy

Post by Bird-Of-Prey »

[/quote]
It's Tri-County lol
[/quote]

It's been awhile. I got the Tri part right.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Bird-Of-Prey wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 am
It's Tri-County lol
[/quote]

It's been awhile. I got the Tri part right.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

This is way to early to ask if FH will have varsity football next year.

Pee wee or even junior high numbers aren't the only factor to make this determination. Frankly, for most kids, playing football from age 6 to age 18 is a huge task. The vast majority of the kids I went to school with in the early 70's didn't play pee wee football and yes, Belpre had pee wee football and they had cuts. Kids got cut from pee wee football! Unreal.

What was really a badge of honor was putting on the school jersey in 7th grade, especially if you got cut from the pee wee teams.

Our kids attended the joint vocational school in Marietta which served all Washington County schools. Yes, we lost some players because of this but still had decent numbers from JVS in all sports. But, it was harder for those kids to take part in sports etc and I certainly understand this.

I am not sure if the TVC bylaws have some sort of "drop dead" date for schools to inform the league if they are not fielding a team for the next season. If they don't, then they need to adopt one. A school can have a sign up in March and the numbers look good but grades and other factors can erode those numbers come August down to the upper teens and then injuries become a factor. If I remember correctly, Belpre went into a season with 18 players and due to injuries they played with 14 players for a game. This caused the AD and HS principle to recommend to the BOE the minimum number of players to safely field a team for all sports, boys and girls.

As for now, I would say that all schools who currently have FH on their football schedule for next year, especially the TVC, are sitting pat on their schedule and are currently sticking with FH next year. However, I expect that after the first of the year, there will be discussions at the league meetings around FH and their situation with football.

Getting kids to make a commitment in this day and age is much harder than "back in the day". As my old HS coach used to say, "...you have to get the boys hooked on sports before they get hooked on the "fume" disease, car fumes or perfume."

Its a different landscape today.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Are there other TVC Hocking schools questionable about football in the future?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:08 pm Are there other TVC Hocking schools questionable about football in the future?
No

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

South gallia only had 14 at the end if the year

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It’s weird to think Belpre and Fed Hock used to be in the same region as Canal Winchester not too long ago

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Federal Hocking isn’t even D7 they just can’t get kids to want to play.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:16 pm Federal Hocking isn’t even D7 they just can’t get kids to want to play.
It’s a very rural school and a small D6 school

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I can remember Fed Hock shutting out my Bulldogs 16-0. We couldn’t move the ball at all

Return to “Football”