Refs Blow It

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Refs Blow It

Post by greygoose »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:40 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:07 pmQuit your crying already.......
Crying? LOL. Pickerington and Mentor fans are both having a complete meltdown over the officiating in their game. Mentor fans are crying that Pickerington coach bought refs. Both agree that officiating was terrible though,
Yeah and for Mentor that is the ultimate cop out crying over officials. If you feel you were down and fumbled the ball....don't fumble the ball...if you get called for a hold don't grab in a manner that you might get caught holding. The reality is teams when they lose want to blame the officials for a 48 minute game and most teams/fans remember 2-3 plays where they feel they got hosed by the officials. They seem to forget all about the other 80 plays that were ran over the course of the game. Block better, catch the ball, hold onto the ball, don't miss a signal, don't miss a block or a tackle, coach doesn't make the right adjustments.....those are the things that cost teams the game. In some cases the team you're playing is just simply a better team no matter what you do. You post in one post complaining about them and saying terrible and in another you say well I understand it's not going to be great, don't ride the fence you're on one side or the other. Posting over and over again about officials sounds like a whiny parent because their team lost no matter how many replays you see it's just the officials out to get you like they have something to gain from it. Never fails every year someone is screwed by the officials, it's comical.
Last edited by greygoose on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:40 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:07 pmQuit your crying already.......
Crying? LOL. Pickerington and Mentor fans are both having a complete meltdown over the officiating in their game. Mentor fans are crying that Pickerington coach bought refs. Both agree that officiating was terrible though,
I do believe someone posted above how you can be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Nut up and challenge yourself.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Complaining about something yet offering no solution to fix. Yet my post is the cop out.

No wisdom and truth in that response at all.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:49 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:06 am https://ohsaa.org/Officiating/permits/category1

Here is the link to sign up. Since officiating is "terrible" and refs are "just not that good" go ahead and grace the state with your knowledge and impeccable judgement.
That's just a cop out to avoid the reality of bad officiating. I'm not looking for perfection; I'm not really expecting them to be good. It's just high school. It's just a hobby for them. And a lot of the rules are vague. I can live with bad judgment calls. Even if they go against my favorite team. The ref on the field is in a better position to make a call than anyone else in the stadium not including a guy reviewing something caught well on camera. I don't boo during games. And I thank them whenever I walk in or out with them. But I'm not going to say that they're all doing a fabulous job when they're not. I bet an average high school football coach can spot 5 wrong calls and 10 missed calls in every game film. Haven't you ever gone home and watched the replay of a game after being there in person? I have. I'm not perfect. Some calls I thought the refs got wrong during the game are clearly the right calls on the replay. But most of the wrong calls are even more obviously wrong when watching it on the TV. Replays are part of the finals this year. In the near future, they'll be a part of all the playoff games. It's an improvement. And if some ref who gets his feelings hurt by the comments of random internet nerds on message boards can't deal with the elevated level of criticism that the camera is going to generate, he or she should just go ahead and quit now. Part of being a ref is understanding and living with the fact that you're going to make mistakes. Everybody does. In everything they do. The best we can do is learn from them and get better. And I believe that most refs do that now. The nice part about the playoffs is that the officiating does get better every week, so whatever OHSAA is doing to differentiate the good ones from the bad ones must be pretty well aligned with my own personal, objective observations.
Trust me, no official's feelings are hurt by what is said on a message board by you or anyone else. Can't really understand your angle here because you're all over the place. Of course everyone makes mistakes AND that includes fans/coaches, many of who don't understand many of the rules. I can't tell you how many times I hear coaches/fans screaming about things that makes no sense because they don't know the rules. Most coaches will settle down once we explain the rule to them but we don't have that luxury of explaining it to the fans so of course the officials are automatically wrong. Also, you do understand that there are only 5 officials on the field trying to keep track of 22 players while everyone is running at full speed, many times into a crowd where line of sight can be blocked. It's not a perfect situation. Just because you determine it to be a "missed call" doesn't mean it that it was. We do the best with what we see and within the framework of the rules.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

Crab's Brother wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:24 pmComplaining about something yet offering no solution to fix.
Fix? I'm not demanding a fix. It can't be fixed. They can't increase the qualifications to become a ref. We already don't have enough. You take a class and pass a test - you're a ref. There's no fitness requirement. You'll see fat slobs out there on the field. You'll see guys 30 yards away from a play because they can't run fast making a call. It's part of the game. What needs fixed is the attitude. Officiating is going to be terrible at the high school level. As a fan / parent / AD / coach / player you have to accept it. Sideline coach tantrums isn't going to make it better. Booing isn't going to make it better. Threatening isn't going to make it better. Whining about one bad call out of many on an internet message board isn't going to make it better. It's always going to be bad. It's an observation, not a complaint. I don't expect the kids or coaches to be NFL quality either.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:04 pmYou post in one post complaining about them and saying terrible and in another you say well I understand it's not going to be great, don't ride the fence you're on one side or the other.
It is both. They aren't contradictory opinions. High school officiating is terrible, and I expect that when watching a game.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:41 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:24 pmComplaining about something yet offering no solution to fix.
Fix? I'm not demanding a fix. It can't be fixed. They can't increase the qualifications to become a ref. We already don't have enough. You take a class and pass a test - you're a ref. There's no fitness requirement. You'll see fat slobs out there on the field. You'll see guys 30 yards away from a play because they can't run fast making a call. It's part of the game. What needs fixed is the attitude. Officiating is going to be terrible at the high school level. As a fan / parent / AD / coach / player you have to accept it. Sideline coach tantrums isn't going to make it better. Booing isn't going to make it better. Threatening isn't going to make it better. Whining about one bad call out of many on an internet message board isn't going to make it better. It's always going to be bad. It's an observation, not a complaint. I don't expect the kids or coaches to be NFL quality either.
Class act this one is..

Return to “Football”