Out Of The Ashes? THE OKAC

kantucky
Varsity

Out Of The Ashes? THE OKAC

Post by kantucky »

I’m not even sure now if that’s what it was called but given there’s so much parity in the programs today, I’d love to see this league restored! Huge crowds at almost every game. Large box office receipts! The thrill of local bragging rights! This league had it all but then, many of the Ky schools weren’t at par. That’s changed now with Ironton suffering so much of an enrollment loss.

I’d love to see that come back, any others?

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
portsmouth_98
All State

Re: Out Of The Ashes? THE OKAC

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Portsmouth wouldn't gain a lot by that happening, if the Kentucky schools would stay for sure it might help in harbin points for football but travel, gates and competition would not be a whole lot better.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Enrollment numbers for the old schools that were originally part of the league.

Ashland 346
Boyd County 343
Greenup County 298
Russell 236
Portsmouth 161
Ironton 160

Other possibilities
Lewis County 241
Gallia Academy 221
Chesapeake 191
Fairland 152
Raceland 128

If Portsmouth went in on something I think we'd want to bring some basketball schools with us.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

That would be one heck of a Conference now a Days. I’d Take out Boyd County and add Raceland though.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm That would be one heck of a Conference now a Days. I’d Take out Boyd County and add Raceland though.
I agree

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 pm Enrollment numbers for the old schools that were originally part of the league.

Ashland 346
Boyd County 343
Greenup County 298
Russell 236
Portsmouth 161
Ironton 160

Other possibilities
Lewis County 241
Gallia Academy 221
Chesapeake 191
Fairland 152
Raceland 128

If Portsmouth went in on something I think we'd want to bring some basketball schools with us.
That is amazing that both Ironton in Portsmouth are that small of schools now! That's pretty nice, I appreciate you posting that

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

kantucky wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:39 pm
portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 pm Enrollment numbers for the old schools that were originally part of the league.

Ashland 346
Boyd County 343
Greenup County 298
Russell 236
Portsmouth 161
Ironton 160

Other possibilities
Lewis County 241
Gallia Academy 221
Chesapeake 191
Fairland 152
Raceland 128

That is amazing that both Ironton in Portsmouth are that small of schools now! That's pretty nice, I appreciate you posting that
I looked at the Ohsaa enrollment numbers page through the internet archive a few weeks back and I think Portsmouth was around 290 boys in 1996 which was the earliest I could find. Crazy to think they have fallen that far I'm thinking we were division 2 in the 1987 playoffs.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

I know, you drive through Portsmouth and you'd think it would be a huge school. The facilities at Portsmouth are as nice as anyone's in the state, period.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

kantucky wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 am I’m not even sure now if that’s what it was called but given there’s so much parity in the programs today, I’d love to see this league restored! Huge crowds at almost every game. Large box office receipts! The thrill of local bragging rights! This league had it all but then, many of the Ky schools weren’t at par. That’s changed now with Ironton suffering so much of an enrollment loss.

I’d love to see that come back, any others?
I'm not that up to date on the Kentucky schools whatsoever, when the league disbanded or whatever happened, did they go in another league, or do most of those schools play an independent schedule ?

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Kentucky went to district play,not really a point in them having leagues for football. You automatically play the closest schools your size and those with the best records advance to the playoffs,

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:31 pm Kentucky went to district play,not really a point in them having leagues for football. You automatically play the closest schools your size and those with the best records advance to the playoffs,
Thank you, I had no idea. Does Kentucky play a 10 game regular season ? I know that Kentucky or West Virginia, neither State would have near as many high schools as Ohio does.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Yes, they play 10 games but are obligated to play certain teams. I can't recall exactly how it works but I'm thinking maybe half the teams make the playoffs.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:10 am Yes, they play 10 games but are obligated to play certain teams. I can't recall exactly how it works but I'm thinking maybe half the teams make the playoffs.
I can't remember how many districts are in each division, but they have 3, 4, and 5 team districts. They have certain weeks district games have to be played and then non district teams are played the other weeks. Whoever wins their district makes the playoffs.
You see a lot of 4 and 5 win teams in the playoffs because of district play. One year they screwed up and had Greenup in a 2 team district. Greenup went 1-9 and made the playoffs.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Portsmouth_98, you are correct. Ky has districts and that was, from my recollection, part of the downfall of the OKAC. The schools have X number of district games they must play to be eligible for the KHSAA playoffs. Some districts are bigger than others and have more mandatory games and it made it tough scheduling for both the league and the district, especially for teams that had larger districts like Ashland and Russell. I know it was easier for a team like Greenup County, back in the day, who was in a 4 team district. The KY numbers aren't like the OHSAA, where they make each region have the same number of teams. Just my 2 cents.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Having played in the OKAC during the 80's, I can say it was super competitive in every sport top to bottom. Ironton had tremendous football teams during that period and generally won the football side, but not easily.
Most would agree it was an awesome basketball and baseball conference. Portsmouth was loaded in basketball during those years and won its share of championships, however most games in conference were battles. The Trojans' only loss in 88 came at the hand of Russell. Portsmouth was also at or near the top of the standings in baseball many years as well, but there was a lot of parity amongst the baseball teams. Great conference top to bottom.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:05 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:10 am Yes, they play 10 games but are obligated to play certain teams. I can't recall exactly how it works but I'm thinking maybe half the teams make the playoffs.
I can't remember how many districts are in each division, but they have 3, 4, and 5 team districts. They have certain weeks district games have to be played and then non district teams are played the other weeks. Whoever wins their district makes the playoffs.
You see a lot of 4 and 5 win teams in the playoffs because of district play. One year they screwed up and had Greenup in a 2 team district. Greenup went 1-9 and made the playoffs.
I remember than o n b. crazy.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Frank Reagan wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:41 pm Portsmouth_98, you are correct. Ky has districts and that was, from my recollection, part of the downfall of the OKAC. The schools have X number of district games they must play to be eligible for the KHSAA playoffs. Some districts are bigger than others and have more mandatory games and it made it tough scheduling for both the league and the district, especially for teams that had larger districts like Ashland and Russell. I know it was easier for a team like Greenup County, back in the day, who was in a 4 team district. The KY numbers aren't like the OHSAA, where they make each region have the same number of teams. Just my 2 cents.
that is exactly what ended it.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:31 pm Kentucky went to district play,not really a point in them having leagues for football. You automatically play the closest schools your size and those with the best records advance to the playoffs,
Kentucky went to the RPI this year and they need to have a tough schedule but I was reading where Ashland’s coach was saying the system was broke bc they really did get any points for playing out of state IE ironton snd spring valley but he wasn’t going to change his schedule bc it’s better competition

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I really liked the OKAC, which was not only a good football conference but a good basketball conference as well. I know Ironton won the state in 1989 and Ashland won the Class AAA state title in 1990 in football. Ashland, Boyd County, Greenup County, and Portsmouth all made their respective state tournaments in basketball during the duration of the league.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Tripaces wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:41 am
Kentucky went to the RPI this year and they need to have a tough schedule but I was reading where Ashland’s coach was saying the system was broke bc they really did get any points for playing out of state IE ironton snd spring valley but he wasn’t going to change his schedule bc it’s better competition
I have to always respect Ashland. Other's may not feel that way but year after year when the Tigers beat them they still didn't quit playing us and their crowds were huge..even when the outcome was almost certain, they showed up..

Same way with Belfry, Kentucky. The Tigers would go down there and wear them out and they'd think us for the experience. Great host and great people they were

Return to “Football”