REGIONAL FINALS (TOO MUCH MADE OUT OF SEEDING "UPSETS")

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

REGIONAL FINALS (TOO MUCH MADE OUT OF SEEDING "UPSETS")

Post by FANOSPORTS »

A lot of people like to talk about upsets in the first couple of rounds per computer rankings & seeds yearly as it should be but those are just numbers that don't figure in competitiveness, history, real strength (leagues) and the athletic culture which can't be measured by numbers alone. There are 56 teams left in the playoffs that will decide Regional championships this weekend so let's take a look at the #5 thru #8 seeds that are still playing:

* 12 of the 56 (21.4%) were seeded #5 thru #8 in Rd. 1
* D1 and D5 have 0, D2 and D7 have 1 a piece, D3 and D6 have 3 a piece and D4 has 4.
* Overall combined records this year for all those teams is 109-35
* Every team has made the playoffs multiple times
* NW Ohio has 7 teams, SW has 2 teams, Central has 2 teams and NE has 1
* These 12 teams combined have 158 playoff year appearances
* They have a combined 33 State Semi-final appearances
* They have a combined 7 State runners-up
* They have a combined 8 State titles
Seeding is just a number, no more no less as you can't measure intangibles come playoff time.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
portsmouth_98
All State

Re: REGIONAL FINALS (TOO MUCH MADE OUT OF SEEDING "UPSETS")

Post by portsmouth_98 »

No no no, you sound like one of those kids I have to chase off my lawn. Everyone knows the playoffs were better when only one team per state made the playoffs and they played each other in a biannual bowl game held every even numbered year ending in 5. You kids with your fancy book learning try to make things look good with your facts and statistics, you've already ruined the game with your weird positions like quarterback and split end, and don't even get me started on your fancy carpeted fields!!!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 pm No no no, you sound like one of those kids I have to chase off my lawn. Everyone knows the playoffs were better when only one team per state made the playoffs and they played each other in a biannual bowl game held every even numbered year ending in 5. You kids with your fancy book learning try to make things look good with your facts and statistics, you've already ruined the game with your weird positions like quarterback and split end, and don't even get me started on your fancy carpeted fields!!!!
The below was posted by stateline sports today. Maybe I missed my calling decades ago. They talk about the #7 and #8 seeds remaining today whereas I included all 5,6,7 & 8 lower seeds in my original post above.

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019 ... l-playoffs

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:23 pm A lot of people like to talk about upsets in the first couple of rounds per computer rankings & seeds yearly as it should be but those are just numbers that don't figure in competitiveness, history, real strength (leagues) and the athletic culture which can't be measured by numbers alone. There are 56 teams left in the playoffs that will decide Regional championships this weekend so let's take a look at the #5 thru #8 seeds that are still playing:

* D1 and D5 have 0, D2 and D7 have 1 a piece, D3 and D6 have 3 a piece and D4 has 4.
Seeding is just a number, no more no less as you can't measure intangibles come playoff time.
It isn't like NCAA Basketball Tournament seeding, but 20% is a distinct minority. Are you saying to pay more attention to the "brand name" than the seed? I don't know anybody who's disputing that.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

efarns wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:18 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:23 pm A lot of people like to talk about upsets in the first couple of rounds per computer rankings & seeds yearly as it should be but those are just numbers that don't figure in competitiveness, history, real strength (leagues) and the athletic culture which can't be measured by numbers alone. There are 56 teams left in the playoffs that will decide Regional championships this weekend so let's take a look at the #5 thru #8 seeds that are still playing:

It isn't like NCAA Basketball Tournament seeding, but 20% is a distinct minority. Are you saying to pay more attention to the "brand name" than the seed? I don't know anybody who's disputing that.
Not necessarily but but if you figure in competitiveness, athletic culture and playing same size schools or bigger with good schedules yearly I will never count out the 5 thru 8 seeds with 2,3 or 4 losses if they have a pedigree like a Valley View, Trotwood, Chardon, DeSales, Alter, Iggy, etc. when they play higher seeded teams with gaudy 10-0 or 9-1 records entering the playoffs who have played a lesser schedule yearly. I just don't see a lot of these games upsets just because of seedings, that's all.

Return to “Football”