Unioto Football Coach? Anyone know anything?

Bozo
S

Re: Unioto Football Coach? Anyone know anything?

Post by Bozo »

Who from the outside?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Bozo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:18 pm Who from the outside?
That's the question that only time is going to tell. I see Gifford was just let go by South Point so he's available. As far as I know no other schools have current openings so I hate to speculate whether or not a head coach would leave his current situation and try to go after the Unioto job.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

mattash wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:28 pm Has anyone ever coached football and basketball same yeAr? (Head coach)
That was a fairly common situation prior to 1970. Carroll Hawhee coached both football and basketball at Waverly winning I think 140 games on the gridiron through 1965 before concentrating on basketball until his retirement in 1978. I think he also coached baseball and track back in the day. Of course 50 years ago sports were strictly seasonal and year around training was rare.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Kicker. wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:52 pm
joeboggs1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:44 pm Hoops' name won't be the only eye catching name to emerge, unless they don't open it up to the outside. Anyone know if their union contract allows them to hire from the outside if there is internal interest? I'm not real clear on how those sorts of things work.

I know at some schools if someone internal as in a teacher will have main priority over an outsider
A non teacher can be hired over a teacher if deemed a better candidate by the AD.
This has happened at Unioto in the past year with another varsity program.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Have heard Jimmy Skinner's name thrown around.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

mattash wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:28 pm Has anyone ever coached football and basketball same yeAr? (Head coach)
Fairly common at Portsmouth back in the day
1919 Robert Hess 6-4 Football, 21-1 basketball
1924 F.B. McComb 7-3-1 FB, 9-4 BB
1925-1927 Red Hopkins 18-8 FB, 40-10 BB
1937-1940 Paul Jenkins 33-3-3 FB, 47-21 BB
1941-1942 Peg Elsesser 7-7-2 FB, 20-22 BB
1943 Houston Elder 5-4-1 FB, 11-9 BB

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

^^^way back when.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:30 am ^^^way back when.
Yeah, I haven't heard of anything like that in a very long time at the varsity level.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:11 am
greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:30 am ^^^way back when.
Yeah, I haven't heard of anything like that in a very long time at the varsity level.
I just think with each sport doing something almost all year round or overlapping for a few months it'd be tough to do in today's athletics.

RShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RShifko »

Jimmy Skinner would be a big time hire as well. Jimmy had led some high power offenses at Madison South in Kentucky. Jimmy grew up in Ross County. Jimmy played quarterback at Marshall and has one of the best football minds around. Jimmy Skinner would be a big time hire.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

RShifko wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:29 am Jimmy Skinner would be a big time hire as well. Jimmy had led some high power offenses at Madison South in Kentucky. Jimmy grew up in Ross County. Jimmy played quarterback at Marshall and has one of the best football minds around. Jimmy Skinner would be a big time hire.
are you hearing grumblings about this or just like the idea?
Jimmy could straight spin the ball in high school.

sibibis45
JV Team

Post by sibibis45 »

Jimmy Skinner did not take the Chillicothe job because of teaching license issues I would be it would be the same with Unioto

RShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RShifko »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:28 am
RShifko wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:29 am Jimmy Skinner would be a big time hire as well. Jimmy had led some high power offenses at Madison South in Kentucky. Jimmy grew up in Ross County. Jimmy played quarterback at Marshall and has one of the best football minds around. Jimmy Skinner would be a big time hire.
are you hearing grumblings about this or just like the idea?
Jimmy could straight spin the ball in high school.

Jimmy name was mentioned earlier. I have heard his name floated around. Among others.
Yeah Jimmy and I used to workout together in the summer. Was always great work for us to get that quarterback work in together.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

sibibis45 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 am Jimmy Skinner did not take the Chillicothe job because of teaching license issues I would be it would be the same with Unioto
I heard something along the same lines, but an issue with the retirement systems not meshing together very well.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

se-alum wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:49 pm
sibibis45 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 am Jimmy Skinner did not take the Chillicothe job because of teaching license issues I would be it would be the same with Unioto
I heard something along the same lines, but an issue with the retirement systems not meshing together very well.
Sounds like he's one that can be ruled out then. With the weight lifti g program starting back up for football I'm guessing there will be rumblings coming out of Unioto very soon.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

From my understanding, I don't believe they have a teaching opening available...may be tough to bring somebody in from the outside.

RShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RShifko »

With no teaching jobs you would have to think Matt Hoops is the leader for the job then.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

RShifko wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:04 pm With no teaching jobs you would have to think Matt Hoops is the leader for the job then.
There's other names that I've heard mention of where they don't need a teaching job to take the position.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Columbus Eastmoor is a school where the head football coach is also the head basketball coach. He’s done that for many years now. And he’s been very successful at both jobs.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

OVC wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:27 pm Columbus Eastmoor is a school where the head football coach is also the head basketball coach. He’s done that for many years now. And he’s been very successful at both jobs.
If you have the time and passion for it I don’t see why not. I’m sure it becomes crazy at points but it can be fun if you really love the everyday grind

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵

Return to “Football”