Who is best positioned to join Ironton/Wheelersburg?

Paulcrew
JV Team

Who is best positioned to join Ironton/Wheelersburg?

Post by Paulcrew »

With much football talk surrounding Wheelersburg at this time of year, and Ironton looking like they may be returning to playoff form. Who, in southern Ohio is best poised to
join these two and maybe Trimble in being a playoff threat each and every year?

91blue14
SE

Re: Who is best positioned to join Ironton/Wheelersburg?

Post by 91blue14 »

to be honest it doesn't really take a special team to qualify anymore. how many have a legitimate shot at winning a game or actually make a game competitive like they belong. I guess back to your question considering schedule I would say gallipolis

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Yeah gallia I feel like should make the playoffs at least the next 4-5 years for sure

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Paulcrew wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:56 am With much football talk surrounding Wheelersburg at this time of year, and Ironton looking like they may be returning to playoff form. Who, in southern Ohio is best poised to
join these two and maybe Trimble in being a playoff threat each and every year?
I think he means being a constant playoff contender, and not 1 year deals. a consistently good solid program.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
TheNest
Waterboy

Post by TheNest »

If it were easy everyone would do it. Wheelersburg for the last 30+ years has went into the majority of their games with better talent at almost every position and better coaching. Sure there are exceptions here and there, but for the most part they have a talent and coaching advantage.

Woodward gets a lot of credit, but I think the whole staff doesn’t get enough. They have multiple coaches who could be good head coaches if they wanted to, but have stayed to build to at program into what it is today.

So to answer the question, I don’t know that anyone is prepared to join Wheelersburg as perennial contenders to win at least one playoff game.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

91blue14 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 am to be honest it doesn't really take a special team to qualify anymore. how many have a legitimate shot at winning a game or actually make a game competitive like they belong. I guess back to your question considering schedule I would say gallipolis
I'm with you blue on the qualifying aspect and if they increase that to 12 per region like they're talking, that's too many.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
THEbuckeyes
Freshman Team

Post by THEbuckeyes »

I think Gallia Academy Jackson and Waverly are the next level below Ironton and Wheelersburg but none are there yet on a long term level but all three have the ability to be players the next 4 or 5 years in a row

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Valley used to be that team, but they have fallen off in recent years. I remember a few years ago when they were in the state semis giving Kirtland a run for their money.

Gallipolis is definitely able to make the playoffs every year (given their schedule and being in the OVC), but getting to the level where they can win a playoff game? That's another question altogether. I think they still have some work to do when it comes to that.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Trimble and Burg are at the top based on the past 5 years. The question is who's joining them

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

If it goes to 12 teams like there trying to push everybody 4-6 and above will get in. Just play you’re schedule you win enough you get in. Teams rotate who is good. It’s like a cycle. Sooner or later it will be another teams time to shine.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Why dont we do more but smaller regions like KY and take the top 4.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I think you will see West be very competitive next year and probably be around 7-3.

Then the following year they will start a run of very good teams.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Jackson has a solid program.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Paulcrews original post mentioned "being a playoff threat" and to me that means teams capable of winning 2 or more playoff games when they do make the playoffs which means they have the best chance of competing & winning games outside of beating other SEO teams. I'm no expert and all good things end eventually but I would stack it up this way:

Ironton / Burg - Being D5 and playing good non-conference puts them at the top
Trimble - D6 now and will be back in D7. Not always the best talent but get great system results.
Ft. Frye - D6 program with good coaching that has opened up a lot of eyes the last few years.
Jackson- D3 They know they start the playoffs with Central Ohio teams, gotta get over the hump.
Waverly - D4 Go from Cincy region to mostly I-70 teams, not easy but much like Jackson scenario.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
14U
S

Post by 14U »

I think he is talking about years of dominating and playoffs for years and getting to the regional final and farther! Ironton and burg 30 plus years. Amanda had a great run from 85-2000. It starts in pee wee teaching and learning not stacking team and blowing out all the others then they quit. If you have every kids in town playing pee wee year after year and feeding ur junior high going into high school. Then when ur high school starters goes against the practice squad which those players could start for any team in their area, then you have a program to reload every year like burg, Ironton. Just my opinion

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Ironton has the history of success and Pendleton has done a good job, but we'll see if they are able to continue this year's success after the talent drops off. They returned most of last year's team. They have a bunch of seniors. They have a 4 star D1 recruit in the backfield and at linebacker. They have maybe the best quarterback in the area who is a 3 year starter and College Recruit. Really good Fullback. Experienced line. Best Defensive lineman in the area. They are loaded with talent. They will always have talent, but this isn't normal.

Forgot they have best kicker in the area too.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Only 6 teams in all divisions have made the playoffs for 30 or more years.

Moeller-35 years
Ironton-35 years
Newark Catholic-35 years
Mogadore-32 years
Steubenville-31 years
Wheelersburg-31 years

Pretty good company right there. 28 state championships between those 6 schools

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

I think Minford is back stable and ready to be a yearly playoff contender, this was year 4 of the Ruby regime and the spread skill set shown on the field this year was much improved and next year's incoming freshman will have been running the system since they essentially began playing football.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Portsmouth is not next in line I’m sure. It will be interesting to see how they do in year 3 under Kalb and the first without Parker. If they can put another successful year together, I would think the future is looking up in Portsmouth with the talent that is normally walking the halls. Lines and d is the next step needed

Return to “Football”