Ironton Vs Spring Valley WV?

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Re: Ironton Vs Spring Valley WV?

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

buckeyes3645 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm
Paulcrew wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 pm

I assume the “mocking” happened the year Ironton beat Dupont 42-6 and Coal Grove beat Buffalo Wayne. Dupont went on to win the AAA State title and Buffalo won the AA title.
Neither Ironton or Coal Grove won titles in Ohio

Those days are long in the past with even further consolidation happening in Wva.
I think scrimmaging Jackson and maybe Spring Valley would be good ideas. I’d also like to see Itonton continue to schedule schools like this on the junior high and JV level.
If Ironton would move to a smaller conference like the SOC, that would give more non conference options, maybe they could take on a game like Spring Valley.

My memory is a little foggy on it but i think in 1992 ironton beat Dupont 35-0 at ironton. That Dupont team had senior Eric Moss (Randy Moss brother) that went to Ohio State and later went to Minnesota, and freshman Randy Moss. That team only had the 1 loss to ironton going into the state championship game vs Capitol W.V. and lost 14-12 to the Cougars.
In 1993 ironton beat Dupont at Dupont 27-8 with Duponts only touchdown being scored by Randy Moss on a hand off to Moss when he was in motion. That was Duponts only loss that season as they beat Capitol Cougars 28-7 in the state championship game.
1992 Dupont team didn't have Eric Moss, Randy Moss was a soph, they lost 3 games that year, beat Brooke 36-7 in the championship game

1993 Dupont team beat capital 29-3 in the championship game
The 1st year ironton played dupont at ironton and won 35-0 eric moss was a senior on that team and Randy was a freshman....i am 100% sure on that.

buckeyes3645
Waterboy

Post by buckeyes3645 »

You are 100% incorrect. DuPont was a 10-12 school when Eric was there and it wasn’t a 9-12 school until Randy’s 10th grade year in 92-93. Eric and Randy never played on the same high school team. Eric graduated in 1992 and Randy didn’t enter high school until the Fall of 92.

Dragon70
Freshman Team

Post by Dragon70 »

countywide35 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm
Paulcrew wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 pm

My memory is a little foggy on it but i think in 1992 ironton beat Dupont 35-0 at ironton. That Dupont team had senior Eric Moss (Randy Moss brother) that went to Ohio State and later went to Minnesota, and freshman Randy Moss. That team only had the 1 loss to ironton going into the state championship game vs Capitol W.V. and lost 14-12 to the Cougars.
In 1993 ironton beat Dupont at Dupont 27-8 with Duponts only touchdown being scored by Randy Moss on a hand off to Moss when he was in motion. That was Duponts only loss that season as they beat Capitol Cougars 28-7 in the state championship game.
Giorgio, I’ll defer to
you. I had all of that past information at one time in life. I loaned my info out but never got it back. Either way, I know the year Dupont won a state title, so to Buffalo Wayne (now 1/3 Spring Valley). Coal grove beat that team and i think it was in wayne county. Larry McCloud if I remember correctly was a very good player on that Buffalo team.

Did Larry McCloud play at Marshall?
Yeah he was an inside LB at Marshall and received All Southern Conference and All MAC honors.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Dragon70 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:27 am
countywide35 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm
Paulcrew wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am
Giorgio, I’ll defer to
you. I had all of that past information at one time in life. I loaned my info out but never got it back. Either way, I know the year Dupont won a state title, so to Buffalo Wayne (now 1/3 Spring Valley). Coal grove beat that team and i think it was in wayne county. Larry McCloud if I remember correctly was a very good player on that Buffalo team.

Did Larry McCloud play at Marshall?
Yeah he was an inside LB at Marshall and received All Southern Conference and All MAC honors.

I thought that was him. Boy o boy was he a fine football player. Really enjoyed watching him in Joan Edwards Stadium for the herd. He would ring your bell for ya!!!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
14U
S

Post by 14U »

Nothing bad about Ironton but spring Valley isn’t the same team they were in the 90’s or early 2000’s. Spring Valley is a legit DI team that plays great football these days and would be too much for Ironton year after year!! Nothing bad about who Ironton plays these days being D-V team, maybe play up to DIII schools such as Jackson etc!!!

hereforthecomments
Riding the Bench

Post by hereforthecomments »

Howard Cosell wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:19 pm Really not impressed. Tired of you guys stroking yourselves by telling us all how great them Tiggers are. Want me to be impressed. Schedule Massillon. Call it "The Ultimate Cat Fight". I bet ESPN would televise. Imagine the money.
somebody seems awful jealous of the tigers

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Martinsburg in the eastern panhandle has a run of strong teams and DI athletes.
Not sure who suggested it but why ask SV or HHS or Midland to go play Iggy, St Ed or Elder? Maybe a better comparison/matchups would be Massillon or Canton McKinley.
WV enrollment numbers are total students (boys and girls).

buckeyes3645
Waterboy

Post by buckeyes3645 »

Martinsburg has won 7 of the last 9 state titles in AAA in WV with very few D1 players. In the last 15 years they have had 5 D1 kids that have gone to WVU and none of them as of yet have played . Spring Valley has had at least 5 D1 linemen in the last 4 years and they have been blown out in the championship games the last 3 years by Martinsburg. Huntington has 2 linemen starting at Tennessee and they haven’t got past Spring Valley the last 3 years.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

hereforthecomments wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:09 pm
Howard Cosell wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:19 pm Really not impressed. Tired of you guys stroking yourselves by telling us all how great them Tiggers are. Want me to be impressed. Schedule Massillon. Call it "The Ultimate Cat Fight". I bet ESPN would televise. Imagine the money.
somebody seems awful jealous of the tigers
That would be a great promoted cat fight. we could call it Real champs vs Paper Champs

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:28 pm
SEOP2001 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:09 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Those teams should pound Ironton , like to see them
Play Ohio teams with same number of students.
Was someone questioning those D1 programs and their quality of play? I thought the discussion was concerning Ironton playing Cabell County schools. Somehow it got turned into Wv or Ky schools playing D1 private Saint schools in Cleveland or Cincinnati. Those are elite programs who recruit anyone they want.
I think the point is just comparing enrollment sizes

Those W.V. teams are big districts with huge enrollments

Sure they would beat up D3-D5 Ohio schools .

I would be interested to see those W.V. schools playing similar size Ohio schools with good football traditions
No, they wouldn't. WV football is a joke. Seriously, take the best d4-5 football team in Ohio, and they'd beat SV. SV would get curb stomped by good d3 Ohio schools.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

14U wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:20 pm Nothing bad about Ironton but spring Valley isn’t the same team they were in the 90’s or early 2000’s. Spring Valley is a legit DI team that plays great football these days and would be too much for Ironton year after year!! Nothing bad about who Ironton plays these days being D-V team, maybe play up to DIII schools such as Jackson etc!!!
What is the measuring stick for legit?

SV would struggle in Ohio. They are okay in Ohio football standards.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Well spring valley beat Ashland this year 35-0 , Ashland beat ironton in a Very tight game and Ashland also beat Russell pretty good later in the year and Russell played ironton pretty tough so clearly this SV team is not like in years past Spring valley has lost pretty good to martinsburg in the playoffs the last few years. I was on max preps looking at some film of martinsburg and they appear to be very talented but the competition they are playing is bad. I think myself and the next 11 posters could probably go 6-4 with that schedule. But they are beating teams. 70+ and 80+ to nothing but they seem to always be tough in the playoffs even with that schedule

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Didn't Huntington High go play Moller late 90's, and Moller beat them to death?
-----------------------------
1998 if 44-30 is beating them to death, then yes

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Spring Valley is a lineman factory. They produce D1 talent about every year. They had an OSU commit last year but switched to VA Tech and they have another being looked at by OSU this year. Someone said they had over 1000 kids but I think that's boys and girls total 9-12

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Yeah there division 2 in Ohio numbers I’m pretty sure

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

mattash wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:35 am Spring Valley is a lineman factory. They produce D1 talent about every year. They had an OSU commit last year but switched to VA Tech and they have another being looked at by OSU this year. Someone said they had over 1000 kids but I think that's boys and girls total 9-12
A factory? Seriously? They had a kid, that's awesome. Doesn't make them a factory. Neither Rivals or 247 show a single kid from SV with legit D1 interest. Doubtful OSU is looking this year.

They have close to 1200 according to their website.

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Spring Valley 996 students 9-12 counting both Girls and Boys

26th biggest school in WV

Biggest is Morgantown at 1851
Cabell Midland 2nd at 1825
Huntington is 5th at 1606

SEOP2001
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOP2001 »

This discussion has gotten ridiculous. The original question was Ironton vs SV. The answer is simple, SV would beat Ironton easily.
Somehow, the discussion drifted to WV teams vs Ohio teams. You’re talking about a state will 2million people vs one with 10 million people. Of course there are better teams in the much larger state. That’s like comparing Ohio football to football in Texas, California, Florida, Georgia.....

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

edforshey wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 pm Didn't Huntington High go play Moller late 90's, and Moller beat them to death?
-----------------------------
1998 if 44-30 is beating them to death, then yes
Wasn't it 30 something to a little at half?

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

SEOP2001 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:47 am This discussion has gotten ridiculous. The original question was Ironton vs SV. The answer is simple, SV would beat Ironton easily.
Somehow, the discussion drifted to WV teams vs Ohio teams. You’re talking about a state will 2million people vs one with 10 million people. Of course there are better teams in the much larger state. That’s like comparing Ohio football to football in Texas, California, Florida, Georgia.....
Because SV has triple the amount of students. Why does it need to be a subject? I doubt they would "easily" win, but okay, cool, SV with triple the amount of boys would win. Combine Ironton, CG, and Chesapeake, probably be a different story.

It isn't a fair comparison because WV football, as a state, the quality is not good. Ohio puts its best up against the best in the country, see the Kirk Herbstreit Football Classic. Take a look at the results and see how much Ohio struggles going up against other powerhouses. Ohio more than holds their own with powers across the country.

Return to “Football”