Playoff attendance

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Playoff attendance

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Good read.
I wonder why they did not print how much the OHSAA pays schools to host?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 am Good read.
At this level it’s a flat fee, but the lure of the money is you get parking and concessions, OHSAA pays officials, team travel, pre sale (and online ticketing is ensuring that more presale is going to school as some sites are not even selling tickets. If you have a nice game, your school is making $10k and up easy.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:44 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:38 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:41 pm There has to be stadiums in or around Columbus that can host the state finals. No casual fan from the SW, S or Western side of the state is going to drive to Canton to watch the games.

I'm just curious as to what all of the money that has been made for parking at the Stark Co. fairgrounds all of these years, where it all goes!!!!

I agree and it would be interesting to know where that money goes. Only fair way to do it would be play the state finals near the center of the state or have it in a different location every year set up years in advance. Having the finals in Canton every year is ridiculous.
Money goes to the same place every site that host goes, it’s clearly noted online who gets parking. Part of the benefit of hosting. The OHSAA does not get any parking revenue

So then what does the Stark Co fairgrounds, where everyone has to park at have to do with the Pro Football hall of fame or Tom Benson stadium where the Finals are played?

I have no problem with paying to park at a school as the school gets that money. Who gets the money in Canton? The fairgrounds!!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:43 pm Upper Arlington has the largest seating capacity (11,500) of the high schools here in c-bus (sits just across 315 from OSU). They've hosted many playoff games up thru today and a few championship games long ago much like Groveport did in the 70's -80's in Central Ohio. Groveport just built a new high school this past year, a new football field about 12 years ago and LeVeon Bell donated new field turf and scoreboard last year but I don't think they've put in to host any games in the last 20 years. I don't think there are any pictures of the new field. I've watched Wheelersburg and Ironton play there years ago and N-Y won their State title on the old field. It should be centralized but bottom line is politics.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... le7T2VWeL2
Politics? Politics is just a scape goat for making an excuse that you didn’t get your way. More to the Finals than a field, lots goes into this.
I could care less as a long time casual fan who went to all the football & basketball finals games for 2+ decades regardless of where they were held and yes with logistics (personnel, facilities, etc) it is a lot of work. I just happen to think it got so big & restrictive over the years that the "little guys" (high schools) who didn't mind hosting big games years ago were slowly pushed aside and after awhile knew it was to much of a hassle to fight big brother. It started getting treated like a college or pro atmosphere by OHSAA with newer, bigger and better being the mantra with playoff team fans around the state scratching their heads and long time casual fans such as myself and others I know questioning the true sportsmanship, morals & ethics of the OHSAA which they promote but sometimes don't seem to abide by themselves. Politics and handshakes are alive and well here just as they are in any other facet of life whether we want to believe it or not.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am
At this level it’s a flat fee, but the lure of the money is you get parking and concessions, OHSAA pays officials, team travel, pre sale (and online ticketing is ensuring that more presale is going to school as some sites are not even selling tickets. If you have a nice game, your school is making $10k and up easy.
Not always true. Depends on the draw you get, the weather that night and a lot of other factors. If you have a small-division game involving private schools and it's a cold night, I know of cases where schools only turned around $500 at the end of the day. That's not very much for all the work that goes into doing it.

Jackson had probably around 4,000 people for the Ironton-Amanda game, so that should have been fairly profitable after the parking and concessions.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

bman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:04 pm
Pol pot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am
Not always true. Depends on the draw you get, the weather that night and a lot of other factors. If you have a small-division game involving private schools and it's a cold night, I know of cases where schools only turned around $500 at the end of the day. That's not very much for all the work that goes into doing it.

Jackson had probably around 4,000 people for the Ironton-Amanda game, so that should have been fairly profitable after the parking and concessions.
Hence I said “if you have a good game”. But there are more good games than not.

THEbuckeyes
Freshman Team

Post by THEbuckeyes »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 am
THEbuckeyes wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:14 pm
Pol pot wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:25 pm

🤦🏼‍♂️ Again, Columbus does not want them! It’s really not that hard to figure out! As for teams plying there already there is ONLY 1 possible team that would have played on Tom Benson this year before the final. Only 1 possible, and they have to make it there first.
seems to me could have been these 8 for sure

Warren G Harding
Euclid
Green
Lake
Glenn Oak
Massillon Washington Best Chance from the start
Solon
Canton McKinley

No one knows how D2 will work out but Massillon has a real shot at playing there again this year for the second time

I can see you think Columbus does not want them. and that is fine its your opinion but when I was a kid I would have rather played at The Shoe than anywhere else in the world and it should be about making kids dreams come true. My child is in 4th grade and already played on the field in Canton and it is special to play there but they play at that field for all the grade school and jr high age stuff so why not change it a little in high school make it special for them
At this point, it’s only Massillon that would have played there.

As for Columbus not wanting them, that is NOT an opinion, but rather a fact! Columbus had their chance to put a bid in and quite frankly did not come through. State Finals are no longer on the radar for the Columbus Visitors and Convention Center. That’s just a first hand fact n

So did those other 7 teams not play on that field because the state finals have been in place for over a year now and at the beginning of the year no one knows who is going to make a run and who isn't......

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

THEbuckeyes wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:16 am
Pol pot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 am
THEbuckeyes wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:14 pm

seems to me could have been these 8 for sure

Warren G Harding
Euclid
Green
Lake
Glenn Oak
Massillon Washington Best Chance from the start
Solon
Canton McKinley

No one knows how D2 will work out but Massillon has a real shot at playing there again this year for the second time

I can see you think Columbus does not want them. and that is fine its your opinion but when I was a kid I would have rather played at The Shoe than anywhere else in the world and it should be about making kids dreams come true. My child is in 4th grade and already played on the field in Canton and it is special to play there but they play at that field for all the grade school and jr high age stuff so why not change it a little in high school make it special for them
At this point, it’s only Massillon that would have played there.

As for Columbus not wanting them, that is NOT an opinion, but rather a fact! Columbus had their chance to put a bid in and quite frankly did not come through. State Finals are no longer on the radar for the Columbus Visitors and Convention Center. That’s just a first hand fact n

So did those other 7 teams not play on that field because the state finals have been in place for over a year now and at the beginning of the year no one knows who is going to make a run and who isn't......
No, when you made your post there was only 1 team left. Your version of Utopia is kind of entertaining, you want a field in the middle (which really just means closer to you), that is nice, has turf, good parking, good amenities and one that no one else plays on. Oh and a place that actually wants those games played there. Good luck finding this magical field, maybe you could build one in a corn field, I’ve heard if you build it, they will come.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Why doesn’t someone just build a stadium in Centerbirg, Ohio, the exact middle of the state, no regular season or weeks 11-14 due to the massive advantage they would have over playing on an actual 120yd field! Be the most fair venue in America, 7 games a year, people could flock to these games.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:18 am Why doesn’t someone just build a stadium in Centerbirg, Ohio, the exact middle of the state, no regular season or weeks 11-14 due to the massive advantage they would have over playing on an actual 120yd field! Be the most fair venue in America, 7 games a year, people could flock to these games.
Plenty of wide open space there to build on and they do have 2 pizza joints, 2 gas stations, 7 churches, 1 Tavern, a Hometown market and Dollar General. Nice little village though and the Trojan faithful do love their football. :lol:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:44 pm
Pol pot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:44 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:38 pm

I agree and it would be interesting to know where that money goes. Only fair way to do it would be play the state finals near the center of the state or have it in a different location every year set up years in advance. Having the finals in Canton every year is ridiculous.
Money goes to the same place every site that host goes, it’s clearly noted online who gets parking. Part of the benefit of hosting. The OHSAA does not get any parking revenue

So then what does the Stark Co fairgrounds, where everyone has to park at have to do with the Pro Football hall of fame or Tom Benson stadium where the Finals are played?

I have no problem with paying to park at a school as the school gets that money. Who gets the money in Canton? The fairgrounds!!!
That parking money goes to the city/county and convention and visitors office to offset the cost of bussing, traffic control and staffing. You would be shocked what 3 days of game as well as set up would cost. Each one of those officers and city workers are working on 1.5x wages. Easy $80k+ in that operation in straight overhead.

Return to “Football”