Playoffs and the OVC

avalanche
JV Team

Re: Playoffs and the OVC

Post by avalanche »

peake71 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:26 pm This time of year somebody always wants to rag on Ryan Davis, bring back Norm, the Peake dies schedule anybody. Some people are never satisfied.
Under Ryan Davis
2008 district semis
2009 district semis
2010 state semis
2011 regional final
2012 regional semis
2013 district semis
2014 district semis
2015 regional semis
2016 regional final
2017 sectional
2018 sectional
2019 district final
Looks like better than a 2 to 3 year run.
Norm never made it to state, won his at Oak Hill in div. 4.
As I have said before I like Norm friends with him but Ryan is the coach so people need to get over it.
5 regional semi-final
3 regional finals
i state final four

Okay, that is four to five really good seasons out of 12.

Norm
At Chesapeake alone in 21 years, won 16 OVC titles, including 11 in a row (one off the state record).
14 District Finals
10 District Titles
10 Regional Semi-Finals
6 Regional Finals

His teams won 88% of their games under Norm at Chesapeake, and 72 home games at one point.

He's since added three more District Titles, two regional semi-finals appearances, 2 regional finals, and a state championship.

Again, we are comparing two very different animals.

Chesapeake will be lucky to get to .500 this year. Again, this isn't a Coach Davis isn't good, because he is, but any kind of smear against Persin for going to the elite 8 six times, isn't going to fly in Chesapeake.
Last edited by avalanche on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

avalanche wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:59 pm
peake71 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:26 pm This time of year somebody always wants to rag on Ryan Davis, bring back Norm, the Peake dies schedule anybody. Some people are never satisfied.
Under Ryan Davis
2008 district semis
2009 district semis
2010 state semis
2011 regional final
2012 regional semis
2013 district semis
2014 district semis
2015 regional semis
2016 regional final
2017 sectional
2018 sectional
2019 district final
Looks like better than a 2 to 3 year run.
Norm never made it to state, won his at Oak Hill in div. 4.
As I have said before I like Norm friends with him but Ryan is the coach so people need to get over it.
1 regional semi-final
3 regional finals
i state final four

Okay, that is four really good seasons out of 12.

Norm
At Chesapeake alone in 21 years, won 16 OVC titles, including 11 in a row (one off the state record).
14 District Finals
10 District Titles
10 Regional Semi-Finals
6 Regional Finals

His teams won 88% of their games under Norm at Chesapeake, and 72 home games at one point.

He's since added three more District Titles, two regional semi-finals appearances, 2 regional finals, and a state championship.

Again, we are comparing two very different animals.

Chesapeake will be lucky to get to .500 this year.
I believe they have a basketball forum that you guys can debate this one on. :roll:

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

That's were it should be. Avalanche doesn't care for Davis.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

peake71 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:48 pm That's were it should be. Avalanche doesn't care for Davis.
Literally have said he's a good coach like a dozen times now.

The true mark of success is can you sustain it over a long period of time.

It is obvious you have an axe to grind with Norm. Saying your his friend is probably not true either, you may know him, doesn't mean you're friends. Friends don't say, "he won his state title in D4". As if that is a bad thing. When South Webster won their state title, they were better than any D3 team in the area.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I don't have a problem with Norm read my post. I have went and watch OH play when the Peake wasnt . I shake hands with him anytime I see him. I like Norm but at The Peake Ryan is the coach right now.
Let's just drop it and keep this as a football forum.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

peake71 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:55 pm I don't have a problem with Norm read my post. I have went and watch OH play when the Peake wasnt . I shake hands with him anytime I see him. I like Norm but at The Peake Ryan is the coach right now.
Let's just drop it and keep this as a football forum.
Fair enough.

I like Davis, always have, good dude. I've seen him out several times. I think he is a good coach too. I have absolutely no problems with him. However, as the coach, he isn't above criticism either. Doesn't mean I dislike him or think he is a bad coach.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I think the ovc is fine myself. and for those saying the league does not prepare you for the post season. they sent 3 teams to the playoffs, and ironton is the only local team left in the entire playoffs, and they're playing in week 13 for a regional title.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:04 am I think the ovc is fine myself. and for those saying the league does not prepare you for the post season. they sent 3 teams to the playoffs, and ironton is the only local team left in the entire playoffs, and they're playing in week 13 for a regional title.
I agree. Portsmouth had 2 losses in the ovc. One team is in week 3 of the post season. Gallia made it but lost. Then played Ridgewood who is in week 3. I also think the ovc is fine. Can’t help teams are down.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

OOPS! Ironton is in the state finals! I guess the OVC might not be too bad for a state finalist to come out of!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

exactly ironton in the state championship game proves that ironton has played a tough schedule. I realize that there are a couple of ovc teams that are very down right now. but that is the case in every league, even in the pros. and they couldn't have 3 better out of conference games than wheelersburg, Russell, and Ashland, ky. they are doing everything that could possibly be asked of them. I'm not sure if Ashland has been eliminated or not. but they were still in it. which proves with 3 teams making the playoffs from the ovc, and all 3 of ironton's out of conference teams going to the playoffs as well. what more can you ask for.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

OVC flexing its muscle this year

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it appears so boss.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it's great for the ovc and all of southeastern ohio football programs. I mean this is ironton's 9th state championship game, and they have won like 13 regional titles.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

It would be cool if the ovc could have their out of conference game in week 1, 3 and 5. Just to spread out the tough or weak OOC schedules. And Ironton, cg portsmouth and gallia could all play each other late in the season.

For example irontons schedule
Burg
Sp
Ashland
Rh
Russell
Chesapeake
Fairland
Cg
Gallia
Ports(rival week)

14U
S

Post by 14U »

I guess all questions are answered! Many different playoff teams each year and the teams that beat anybody in the OVC makes it far in playoffs. Like Ironton last year then same team beat burg how far did Johnstown go? Then Portsmouth ran into a great Middletown Madison that gave burg all they wanted for two years burg had good teams those years(Statechamp)coal Grove made it far few years back. I think OVC is ok with couple good non conference teams. I think the only school that is in trouble in OVC is Gallipolis because they’re D-IV and when playoffs comes it’s just a different monster for them! Now the others are D-V and D-VI teams that can make that run and is been proven since Portsmouth and Ironton joined in. If it’s not broke don’t fix it. When you have State Semis and State finals with an OVC team in it

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

goUK wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:07 pm It would be cool if the ovc could have their out of conference game in week 1, 3 and 5. Just to spread out the tough or weak OOC schedules. And Ironton, cg portsmouth and gallia could all play each other late in the season.

For example irontons schedule
Burg
Sp
Ashland
Rh
Russell
Chesapeake
Fairland
Cg
Gallia
Ports(rival week)
I like this idea too that way we can play a really strong team week 5 when they’ve had time to get a few games under their belt and everything. Sometimes it’s tough playing a strong out of conference schedule when all three games are week 1-3

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

brother, the fighting tigers are heading to canton with the ovc and ''fighting tiger'' brand flags draping all over each player and coach. they are the heartbeats of the south. and the beast from the east. the whole southern part of the state is behind them. and they have made ironton, southern ohio, and the ovc proud.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

BLEE DATTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

THERE IS A STORM COMING UP 23 NORTH AND YOU SHOULD SEE PATCHY TO HEAVY LOADS OF ORANGE AND BLACK, DO NOT ENGAGE THESE RABID FANS , THEY HAVE ONE THING ON THEIR MIND. A 3RD STATE FOOTBALL TITLE. SO THEY MAY BE IRRITABLE AND DANGEROUS TILL AFTER THE GAME. IT'S CALLED ''IRONTON FIGHTING TIGER NATION BABY''

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

Ashland, Russell and the Jackson scrimmage really helped us get ready for this playoff run.

Return to “Football”