Playoffs and the OVC

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Playoffs and the OVC

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Ironton rolls
Gallia and Portsmouth both blown out.

Until this year with Ironton and what is expected of them, only recent success is Coal Grove in D6.

My point is the OVC isn’t preparing D4 and D5 schools for the playoffs. Tougher non league schedules are needed, or are we happy with going 8-2, 9-1 sneaking in and getting blown out?

If Portsmouth or Gallia were still in the SEOAL, or played the schedule they played before Portsmouth joined the SEOAL I don’t think we would have been 8-2, but would have had a more realistic idea of where we stood.

This is no offense to any OVC school, but are we happy with just making it or do we want win once we get there? What’s the difference in our schools and those that have playoff success?

Ironton played a tough non league schedule, that has prepared them. That is the first thing I see needed from must of us is stepping up the non league.

Where do we go from here as a conference?? Or are we just gonna be a basketball conference?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Playoffs and the OVC

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I say keep things just the way they are. teams just need to get better. there are more sports than just football involved here.
who's to say ironton could not get to the state because of the league they're in.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
14U
S

Post by 14U »

I don’t think he is saying leave the league, just how to get to the next level. That is get tougher non league teams. See how you do and what you need to work on. Not everybody in the league has people transferring in like Ironton did. A few here a few there makes a difference. I just don’t think anybody is going to transfer to a Lawrence county or Portsmouth team except Ironton. Ironton has the name of winning and that will bring a kid here and there. It starts at the younger level and split the teams up and make them even so more kids will come out, if not they will quit if you put all the best kids on one team and beat the snot out of them!! Kids didn’t like to lose by blowouts. Then you’ll have more kids in junior high then high school. If a kid has fun they will keep at it.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That’s the good thing about the OVC. Even if it’s a down year for the league, three teams make the playoffs

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:32 pm That’s the good thing about the OVC. Even if it’s a down year for the league, three teams make the playoffs
Good point

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

14U wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:26 pm I don’t think he is saying leave the league, just how to get to the next level. That is get tougher non league teams. See how you do and what you need to work on. Not everybody in the league has people transferring in like Ironton did. A few here a few there makes a difference. I just don’t think anybody is going to transfer to a Lawrence county or Portsmouth team except Ironton. Ironton has the name of winning and that will bring a kid here and there. It starts at the younger level and split the teams up and make them even so more kids will come out, if not they will quit if you put all the best kids on one team and beat the snot out of them!! Kids didn’t like to lose by blowouts. Then you’ll have more kids in junior high then high school. If a kid has fun they will keep at it.
I wonder why everybody around here stacks the teams when there little??? That seems to be a problem at most of the midget league sports

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Not much to be done, we don't regularly beat Valley and West and they usually get us points if we win. River Valley was the outlier and we are replacing them with Wellston and Greenup who should be better teams.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Ovc is fine. Portsmouth was down for years and have improved the past 2 years. If there is one issue maybe it’s Gallia. There d4 and playing d5 and d6 schools go 8-2, 9-1 and lose 1st round. Portsmouth lost to Madison last year who went 3 rounds deep in the postseason and Ridgewood who was 10-0 and will give Wheelersburg a run for there money. Portsmouth did what they could with what they had. Heaviest kid on the line was listed at 225. There was no size on either line. Gallia should find a new home to improve. Portsmouth is fine there for football, basketball and baseball. Also when you are 7 or 8 seed you going to play really good teams.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
14U
S

Post by 14U »

MrFirstTake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:35 pm
14U wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:26 pm I don’t think he is saying leave the league, just how to get to the next level. That is get tougher non league teams. See how you do and what you need to work on. Not everybody in the league has people transferring in like Ironton did. A few here a few there makes a difference. I just don’t think anybody is going to transfer to a Lawrence county or Portsmouth team except Ironton. Ironton has the name of winning and that will bring a kid here and there. It starts at the younger level and split the teams up and make them even so more kids will come out, if not they will quit if you put all the best kids on one team and beat the snot out of them!! Kids didn’t like to lose by blowouts. Then you’ll have more kids in junior high then high school. If a kid has fun they will keep at it.
I wonder why everybody around here stacks the teams when there little??? That seems to be a problem at most of the midget league sports
It makes no since! Ur beating up on ur future and those getting beat on quit or leave to find a different place to play. It’s all about the parents wanting to win that bad. Winning fun but that young it’s about learning, having fun and building numbers.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:44 pm Not much to be done, we don't regularly beat Valley and West and they usually get us points if we win. River Valley was the outlier and we are replacing them with Wellston and Greenup who should be better teams.
Greenup won 3 games and one of those was Norte Dame. Wellston I believe this was their year and back to 500. I know schedules are made few years ahead but name brand schools is what ur looking for. Portsmouth west had a down year and young, Valley after Portsmouth played them went down 9 players and freshmen played so they will be good coming year.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:45 pm Ovc is fine. Portsmouth was down for years and have improved the past 2 years. If there is one issue maybe it’s Gallia. There d4 and playing d5 and d6 schools go 8-2, 9-1 and lose 1st round. Portsmouth lost to Madison last year who went 3 rounds deep in the postseason and Ridgewood who was 10-0 and will give Wheelersburg a run for there money. Portsmouth did what they could with what they had. Heaviest kid on the line was listed at 225. There was no size on either line. Gallia should find a new home to improve. Portsmouth is fine there for football, basketball and baseball. Also when you are 7 or 8 seed you going to play really good teams.
I agree! It’s who you play in playoffs and if they beat you see how far they go. Portsmouth last two years picked 2 teams that was picked to win the region, not bad play just good teams they played. If you make the playoffs how many didn’t? 25-30? Also look how many times team have lost first round! Now if you were Waverly or Gallipolis I would be thinking that they are D-IV playing in a D-V and D-VI league

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

What I’m hearing
1. Totally agree with changes to the pee wee systems max kids involved. I wish Portsmouth would play in an all Portsmouth league at Pee wee level. Or at least go back to 3 or 4 all Portsmouth teams like we used too.

2. A lot seem to comment that there is success in other sports around the league, and I agree. I also think this is a basketball first league. I’m just wanting to see an improvement across the board I’m football.

3. Greenup county although they normally do not win a lot of games, is a good point game for Portsmouth with being an out of state that would be a D3 in Ohio.

4. West and Portsmouth is a pretty even series, In fact they are 5-5 in the last 10 meetings.

5. Although Portsmouth has ran up against very good teams the last few years, going 8-2 or 9-1 as gallia was should earn you a better spot in the post season if you have any strength to the schedule at all.

Waverly a D 4 school playing in a mostly D5 league still got a home game and beat up on the OVCs Gallia, why? Strength of schedule, SOC opponents Minford and Burg gave them good point opportunities and made them more battle tested, then the strength of a non schedule win vs Amanda Clearcreek.
We all need to strengthen non league schedule, and somehow figure out how to compete with them.
What is the difference in our D5, schools and the SOCs D5 schools. Burg excluded( who Ironton seems to be closing the gap on) but why are minford and West of the world( I know down year) more competitive in the post season then the OVC?

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:57 pm What I’m hearing
1. Totally agree with changes to the pee wee systems max kids involved. I wish Portsmouth would play in an all Portsmouth league at Pee wee level. Or at least go back to 3 or 4 all Portsmouth teams like we used too.

2. A lot seem to comment that there is success in other sports around the league, and I agree. I also think this is a basketball first league. I’m just wanting to see an improvement across the board I’m football.

3. Greenup county although they normally do not win a lot of games, is a good point game for Portsmouth with being an out of state that would be a D3 in Ohio.

4. West and Portsmouth is a pretty even series, In fact they are 5-5 in the last 10 meetings.

5. Although Portsmouth has ran up against very good teams the last few years, going 8-2 or 9-1 as gallia was should earn you a better spot in the post season if you have any strength to the schedule at all.

Waverly a D 4 school playing in a mostly D5 league still got a home game and beat up on the OVCs Gallia, why? Strength of schedule, SOC opponents Minford and Burg gave them good points, then the strength of a non schedule win vs Amanda Clearcreek.
We all need to strengthen non league schedule, and somehow figure out how to compete with them.
What is the difference in our D5, schools and the SOCs D5 schools. Burg excluded( who Ironton seems to be closing the gap on) but why are minford and West of the world( I know down year) more competitive in the post season then the OVC?
I definitely agree 10000 percent with the last part schedule at least two game non conference that are really good and figure it out

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Coal grove went to the regional finals and had good teams like 2-3 years ago

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I feel like every ovc school just cycles through athletes at different times.. and maybe most years 1/2 teams are gonna dominate it for a few years

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I feel like if you look all over the state the ovc isn’t the only league that’s mostly d5/d6 schools that has the same things happening

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Head to head records of SOC versus OVC has been posted here. SOC is a consistently much better in football.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

MrFirstTake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:01 pm Coal grove went to the regional finals and had good teams like 2-3 years ago
Agree, I exclude coal grove, as a D6 in a D5 league they get lots of points.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Westfan wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:15 pm Head to head records of SOC versus OVC has been posted here. SOC is a consistently much better in football.
My point, similar sized schools, similar economically, why does the SOC fare better then OVC, and what changes can be made to make the OVC more competitive vs the SOC and in the post season?

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Yeah and I feel like Chesapeake and Fairland are just more of basketball than football schools.. Chesapeake has been to the playoffs a few times don’t know how many times they have went past round 1 tho

Return to “Football”