Week 12--#1 Southeastern vs #4 Covington @ Xenia

greygoose
SEOPS

Week 12--#1 Southeastern vs #4 Covington @ Xenia

Post by greygoose »

Didn't see this posted anywhere so I figured I'd start the thread if it is, that's my bad. Game has been posted and it's being played at Xenia.
Last edited by greygoose on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Southeastern vs Covington location Xenia

Post by greygoose »

Looking at their schedule looks like Covington can score the points. Had 2 good non-conference test in Fort Laramie and Minster, lost both games but were competitive in each of them. Will be SE toughest test for sure, I'll be pulling for SE in this one but it's going to be tough given what Covington has been scoring last several weeks.

se-alum
All Conference

Re: Week 12--#1 Southeastern vs #4 Covington @ Xenia

Post by se-alum »

I'm convinced that turnovers are really the only thing that can slow down Lane Ruby. Question is, can they make some stops against Covington?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

A one man show won't be able to beat Covington.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Good luck Southeastern in your upcoming 2nd rd playoff game against Covington.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Covington just got by Worthington Christian last round. WC got waxed by Trimble 34-6

I think SE can win this one but will obviously have to play very well.

captin midnight
Waterboy

Post by captin midnight »

I was at the Covington/Fort Loramie game(Live in Ft. Loramie now). They were very impressive in the passing game, not so much running the ball. But that could have been based on the matchup. There QB has a strong arm and they have a good WR that creates plays.

If Southeastern can defend the pass and/or apply pressure it will be beneficial to that side of the ball.

joeboggs1
JV Team

Post by joeboggs1 »

The issue with SE is their offense. Their defense isn't nearly as good as their offense and they are going to give up points.

What they have yet to run into is, a team that can slow down their offense. They run it so well and Ruby is a true difference maker. If they run into someone that can take away the power game, or find a way to contain Ruby I think they will be in trouble. However, I don't think it happens before the final 4.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

captin midnight wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:28 am I was at the Covington/Fort Loramie game(Live in Ft. Loramie now). They were very impressive in the passing game, not so much running the ball. But that could have been based on the matchup. There QB has a strong arm and they have a good WR that creates plays.

If Southeastern can defend the pass and/or apply pressure it will be beneficial to that side of the ball.
I believe the pass defense is the weak link for that SE defense, they're solid against the run but if a team mixes it up the secondary will give up pass plays.
Last edited by greygoose on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 pm A one man show won't be able to beat Covington.
Looks like to me Covington has scored a lot of points over the last few weeks, a one man show can move the ball against most teams and Covington isn't some juggernaut. Thing that SE is going to have to do is play it's best defensive game and there's no one man show when it comes to defense. Covington can put up the points and I think for SE to get through this week they are going to have to use that ball control offense and shorten the game up and the amount of touches the Covington offense gets.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:17 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 pm A one man show won't be able to beat Covington.
Looks like to me Covington has scored a lot of points over the last few weeks, a one man show can move the ball against most teams and Covington isn't some juggernaut. Thing that SE is going to have to do is play it's best defensive game and there's no one man show when it comes to defense. Covington can put up the points and I think for SE to get through this week they are going to have to use that ball control offense and shorten the game up and the amount of touches the Covington offense gets.
Hard to go ball control with Ruby going for 15yds a carry! Lane has ran for as many yards as he has needed to in every game this year. I still think turnovers and penalties are the biggest threat to SE right now.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

se-alum wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm
Hard to go ball control with Ruby going for 15yds a carry! Lane has ran for as many yards as he has needed to in every game this year. I still think turnovers and penalties are the biggest threat to SE right now.
Penalties hurt SE a lot, but to think as you keep going deeper into the playoffs that he's going to average 15 yards a carry is a bit careless thinking. Those drives they put together that take up 5-6 minutes and end in a TD is what breaks teams down it makes the other team have to play flawless on offense because their touches are limited. Burg and Waverly, Waverly was able to easily move the ball but in the 2nd half burg just limited the touches for Waverly I think they touched it once in the 3rd quarter, now they scored but you get the point.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Have to play mistake free football. If SE can do that. They’ll be in the ballgame.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm
se-alum wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Penalties hurt SE a lot, but to think as you keep going deeper into the playoffs that he's going to average 15 yards a carry is a bit careless thinking. Those drives they put together that take up 5-6 minutes and end in a TD is what breaks teams down it makes the other team have to play flawless on offense because their touches are limited. Burg and Waverly, Waverly was able to easily move the ball but in the 2nd half burg just limited the touches for Waverly I think they touched it once in the 3rd quarter, now they scored but you get the point.
For normal players, I would totally agree that 15 yards a carry isn't likely in a 2nd round playoff game, but he's a D1 college level player athletically, against D6 high school football players. Most believe Mechanicsburg and Covington were the best of the region. I don't know how those 2 matchup as far as how similar they are, but I watched Mechanicsburg and saw nothing that would make me think they could slow down Ruby. In fact, Adena was the more athletic team, unfortunately they were calling out the plays before we ran them, because of the lack of creativity in our formations and play calling. If Southeastern loses, I don't think it will be because Covington shut down Ruby.

Backerpitch70
Waterboy

Post by Backerpitch70 »

Se alum:
You must have watched a different game than I did. Mechanicsburg beat Adena in the trenches. Not one time did Adena change the LOS against them. Once they figured out all they needed to do was run out of the I, it was over. The burg had 10 hitters on the field against Adena's 2 or 3. Great season Adena! A lot coming back. Covington 55 SE 27

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Backerpitch70 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:17 am Se alum:
You must have watched a different game than I did. Mechanicsburg beat Adena in the trenches. Not one time did Adena change the LOS against them. Once they figured out all they needed to do was run out of the I, it was over. The burg had 10 hitters on the field against Adena's 2 or 3. Great season Adena! A lot coming back. Covington 55 SE 27
I didn't mean to discredit Mechanicsburg, they're a solid team. I think the teams were evenly matched, the score only got the way it was, late in the game. Mechanicsburg definitely outcoached Adena, which I believe was the difference in the game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I cannot see SE losing big

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

I also cannot see SE losing big. I honestly think this will be a shootout score wise. It will come down to the 4th quarter. I plan to make the long trip to watch this one.

captin midnight
Waterboy

Post by captin midnight »

Covington's defense didn't miss many tackles when I watched them and they held their own at the LOS. Southeastern needs to win the battle upfront, move the chains and control the clock. Not sure if they have played against a team that can spread the ball around through the air like Covington.

It becomes very difficult to throw a score prediction when the teams don't share any common opponents.

Covington only played 2 games against quality opponents during the regular season, both of which advanced to the playoffs. They should have beaten Fort Loramie. Executed a perfect 2 minute offense, but the play-calling at the 1 yard-line with 16 seconds left was questionable. The remaining games were the Cross County League games and the competition was very weak.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

captin midnight wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:18 pm Covington's defense didn't miss many tackles when I watched them and they held their own at the LOS. Southeastern needs to win the battle upfront, move the chains and control the clock. Not sure if they have played against a team that can spread the ball around through the air like Covington.

It becomes very difficult to throw a score prediction when the teams don't share any common opponents.

Covington only played 2 games against quality opponents during the regular season, both of which advanced to the playoffs. They should have beaten Fort Loramie. Executed a perfect 2 minute offense, but the play-calling at the 1 yard-line with 16 seconds left was questionable. The remaining games were the Cross County League games and the competition was very weak.
This is why I worry about SE in this one, if Covington is a strong passing team SE will struggle to get off of the field and out of the end zone. You look at SE schedule and there's 3 teams there that I know run a spread, Eastern, Huntington and Piketon. Piketon probably has the most efficient passing attack of the 3 and they put up 34 points, Eastern put up 26 and that was only a halftime score. SE has to win at the LOS, control the clock keep Covington off the field try to keep it close heading into the 4th quarter and really let Ruby be Ruby and hope that's enough.

Return to “Football”