Too Many Teams?

Rza1
Freshman Team

Re: Too Many Teams?

Post by Rza1 »

Looked @scores statewide and have to agree that 8 is probably the right number. Good, fact filled arguments guys! And numbers don't lie!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Coaches Association has put a proposal in to the OHSAA that would take the top 12 from each region. And that’s what the Coaches want.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

14U wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:33 am 8 is great...#7 Valley View just knocked off #2 Clinton Massie tonight. It happens a lot every year. 1st year they went to 8 in 1999 #8 seed ironton went all the way to the state championship game.
Region14 #8 clyde beat #1 keystone tonight in D4. #2 Indian Valley lost to #7 Bloom Carroll. Only taking 4 teams in each region was never good. It kept some of the best teams out of the playoffs every year. #1 western reserve 9-1 lost tonight to 5-5 #8 Carey. #1 Lima central Catholic lost to #8 Fairview. #1 new Miami lost to #8 new Bremen. #1 chaminade julianne lost to #8 archbishop alter. That's just some of the bigger upsets this weekend.
You answered what I just put down. There isn’t a lot of blowouts if you look at the whole state of Ohio. This people only look in their area only but there is good football state wide! Around southern Ohio you have strong conferences playing weak conferences. You take the OVC every team got destroyed but Ironton, it’s a basketball conference. That conference doesn’t play up or tough non conference games and it shows every year in my book.
Doesn't matter who you play if you don't have the horses, Portsmouth played up for years and had losing season after losing season.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

I think it's been good for everyone. When Fort Frye was getting blown out in the playoffs a few years ago by Lucasville and Kirtland, it was still really good experience. The kids and coaches got to see what a next level program looks like, and gave them something to shoot for.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:33 am 8 is great...#7 Valley View just knocked off #2 Clinton Massie tonight. It happens a lot every year. 1st year they went to 8 in 1999 #8 seed ironton went all the way to the state championship game.
Region14 #8 clyde beat #1 keystone tonight in D4. #2 Indian Valley lost to #7 Bloom Carroll. Only taking 4 teams in each region was never good. It kept some of the best teams out of the playoffs every year. #1 western reserve 9-1 lost tonight to 5-5 #8 Carey. #1 Lima central Catholic lost to #8 Fairview. #1 new Miami lost to #8 new Bremen. #1 chaminade julianne lost to #8 archbishop alter. That's just some of the bigger upsets this weekend.
You answered what I just put down. There isn’t a lot of blowouts if you look at the whole state of Ohio. This people only look in their area only but there is good football state wide! Around southern Ohio you have strong conferences playing weak conferences. You take the OVC every team got destroyed but Ironton, it’s a basketball conference. That conference doesn’t play up or tough non conference games and it shows every year in my book.
Doesn't matter who you play if you don't have the horses, Portsmouth played up for years and had losing season after losing season.
Well they been getting players for awhile now and time to get a few teams you can compete with or team that is alittle better but could beat. Two years in a row Portsmouth gets to go to week 11 without any creditable wins and it killed them! They got to play better or this is going to be the outcome. Unless they are content with making it to week 11 just to get thumped. I just don’t like watching my old school go through this

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

14U wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:37 pm

Well they been getting players for awhile now and time to get a few teams you can compete with or team that is alittle better but could beat. Two years in a row Portsmouth gets to go to week 11 without any creditable wins and it killed them! They got to play better or this is going to be the outcome. Unless they are content with making it to week 11 just to get thumped. I just don’t like watching my old school go through this
I’m with you I don’t see the problem of having a game or two on the schedule of a team who’s a little better out of conference

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

MrFirstTake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:42 pm
14U wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:37 pm

I’m with you I don’t see the problem of having a game or two on the schedule of a team who’s a little better out of conference
We've had athletes but not that many football players. The only non conference game I don't like is River Valley and this was the last year for playing them. I don't see us replacing West or Valley ,those are good gate games that go back and forth . As far as being in the OVC , the SEOAL was about done , it was down to 5 teams from 10, 2 were over 2 hours away and all were at least 2 divisions bigger than us at the time so even if it remained as is it wasn't a fit for us. We are far away for the TVC, and most of the SVC and we know we're not getting into the SOC so that was our only option.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It’s so stupid. Imagine a teams best player hurt playing a team that will get beat bad. There are too many now.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

12 teams is too many. leave it alone.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

Rza1 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 pm Lol. I jus said same thang on another forum. Need to go back to top 4. Most of these games are a waste of time.
This season Kettering Alter beat the #1 seed as the #8.

There have been teams in the past that were the 5,6, or 7 seed that have made it to the state final 4 and some that have won a state championship. There was a team this season that was 10-0 and didnt even make the playoffs. I think 8 is just fine, but I would like to see it expanded to 10 teams. Give the top two teams in each region a bye week one of the playoffs.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

veer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:47 pm
Rza1 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 pm Lol. I jus said same thang on another forum. Need to go back to top 4. Most of these games are a waste of time.

There have been teams in the past that were the 5,6, or 7 seed that have made it to the state final 4 and some that have won a state championship. There was a team this season that was 10-0 and didnt even make the playoffs. I think 8 is just fine, but I would like to see it expanded to 10 teams. Give the top two teams in each region a bye week one of the playoffs.
I feel like if they extend the season they need to start earlier because it’s already to the point if you go past the first round your already cutting into basketball season but I’m all for more football as long as it fits

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

BigChuck wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:51 pm Are there too many teams now making the playoffs? Seems like an awful lot of blowouts and a lot of less-than-mediocre teams playing in the post season....
Also too many divisions

Burg grad 85
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

MrFirstTake wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:07 pm
veer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:47 pm

I feel like if they extend the season they need to start earlier because it’s already to the point if you go past the first round your already cutting into basketball season but I’m all for more football as long as it fits
The season would begin earlier and end at the same time. Coaches are asking for one week less of practice

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

MrFirstTake wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 am Last year licking valley went to the final 4 as 7 seed
Two years ago Tri-Valley was #5 in Region 11 and made it to the D3 State Championship Game.
(Beat Marion Franklin, Bellefontaine, Bishop Hartley, Akron St. Vincent St Mary, and lost to Trotwood Madison by 8.)

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Teams like desales have been 6-4 7 and 8 seeds a lot and went to state or final 4

Pic A Way
Waterboy

Post by Pic A Way »

Let's start a committee

Split up the state into five districts(central, SE, SW, NE, NW), keep the divisions, so 28 regions. Take a a couple guys from each local paper to vote AP style.
If you win your conference you're automatically in. 8 teams per region, the rest filled in by vote.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With so many football junkies they could want more. Instead of putting more in the playoff make the regular season longer. They could put it where a perfect regular season is automatically in.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

Pic A Way wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:33 am Let's start a committee

Split up the state into five districts(central, SE, SW, NE, NW), keep the divisions, so 28 regions. Take a a couple guys from each local paper to vote AP style.
If you win your conference you're automatically in. 8 teams per region, the rest filled in by vote.
Take a couple of guys from each local newspaper? You do realize most, if not all "guys from the local paper" have never put on a helmet let alone stepped foot on a football field? These guys have zero clue. That would be a disaster. Maybe let the district/region HS coaches and AD's vote on the remaining teams to make it?

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Y'all ever look at the number of football teams per division in other states?

And then look at how the concept of district play and the number of teams which get in per division compares to the way it is done in Ohio?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

veer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:14 am
Pic A Way wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:33 am Let's start a committee

Take a couple of guys from each local newspaper? You do realize most, if not all "guys from the local paper" have never put on a helmet let alone stepped foot on a football field? These guys have zero clue. That would be a disaster. Maybe let the district/region HS coaches and AD's vote on the remaining teams to make it?
You are exactly correct then you get into the fact of how many of those guys have seen each of the teams play and know enough about the teams they played to realize how good these teams truly are. Terrible idea and just no way it could happen. It's fine, everyone post on here about trying to fix problems that don't exist.

Return to “Football”