WK 11: Wellston (7-3) @ Ironton (9-1)

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Re: WK 11: Wellston (7-3) @ Ironton (9-1)

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

kantucky wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 am
Tripaces wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:37 pm
kantucky wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:18 pm I am wondering how many are actually going to be at this game?

Projected temperatures at kick off are for about 31°. Wellston is a long drive and thought currently is the Fighting Tigers will dominate totally in this game. Even last week against Portsmouth Ironton had a dismal showing . I was taken back that as it was probably the poorest turn out of any home game this year by the Ironton fans. This was with what was considered to be one of the most rival games. Portsmouth was really lacking in fan support for such a hyped and important game
Did you leave your glasses at home ? The stands were packed last week , it wasn’t like the burg game or anything but it was full
No, I had my glasses on. The game had a dismal showing I don't know how you could think otherwise.
I agree KANTY.

I could tell on an iPad via FB that there was elbow room.

I am also at odds today, feeling it should be game day and am ready to rumble.

Hopefully, the Tigers and fans have a good flow and show and keep it churning deep!!!

Gotigersgo!!!

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

Real fans go to the game......rain-snow-ice-temperature.......doesnt matter, the real fans show up and the rest can stay home and get the radio out......I am going to get my game-face on this afternoon in preparation for what is going to happen tomorrow nite.......in fact I am going to get my game face on tomorrow afternoon on the Ohio U. lot with the rest of the real fans..............safe travel for all the Wellston folks making the trip down 93 and you are going to enjoy seeing the Tank and what it represents...............get your camera ready Tucky,,,,,,,you are going to need it............

TigerFan19
Waterboy

Post by TigerFan19 »

Going to be about the big ugly's on the line Saturday. They have dominated the line of scrimmage all year and need to continue that in the playoffs.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I was at last week's game it was far from packed , I walked over the to Ironton side too , plenty of seats everywhere .

Look for an even smaller crowd this week with 8 playing 1 .

With that said good luck Ironton and OVC

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I will be there I think you guys are over thinking it ironton will have plenty of people there I have family that’s coming from out of town to go hopefully wellston packs the stands

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Rocket fans will be there. Tank Stadium is a great historical
stadium. Rooting for both teams to have an injury free game.
Rockets will be ready.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

GRFan wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:47 pm Rocket fans will be there. Tank Stadium is a great historical
Rockets will be ready.
The armory steakhouse or big boy are good places to eat close to the stadium

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

GRFan wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:47 pm Rocket fans will be there. Tank Stadium is a great historical
Rockets will be ready.
I’m confident the Gold Rock fans will be there and the Coaches will have them ready.

The FighTing Tigers need to be focused and hone in and play well.
Think back to last year at this time.
The FighTing Tigers gave JonMon, the eventual state runner up, all they wanted last year, loosing the game in the final seconds.

Anything can happen in High School Football.

Get your heads on Fighting Tigers. Play aggressive, focused. & dominate healthily!!!
Live in the moment!
Win & Advance!!!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Fighting Tigers welcome Wellston in Region 19 quarters

By Paul Boggs

If Ironton is — or even was — on a so-called “revenge tour” for 2019, it accomplished its initial goal.
That was winning the Ohio Valley Conference championship, as the talented and highly-touted Fighting Tigers turned aside seven squads en route to rolling through the league.
But now, of course, Ironton indeed — admittedly — has higher accomplishments in mind, such as capturing the Division V Region 19 championship…and even eyeing a state title.

The first step in the second season of its “tour de revenge” takes place on Saturday inside the friendly confines of Ironton’s Tanks Memorial Stadium — when Wellston makes the trek down winding Route 93 for a regional quarterfinal.
Kickoff is set for 7 p.m., on what will surely be a cold — but electric — night in Ironton.

The 9-1 Fighting Tigers are the top-seeded club in Region 19 — having steamrolled their final two games to not only win the OVC outright, but also assure themselves of favorable siting for the remaining two regional tilts.

The state playoffs are obviously overly-familiar for the Fighting Tiger program, as its now 35 all-time appearances are tied for second-most in Ohio High School Athletic Association history with Cincinnati Moeller.

Only Newark Catholic, with 36 including this year, leads Moeller and Ironton.

The Fighting Tigers are 45-32 all-time in the tournament, as they have reached the state championship game eight times — while winning titles in 1979 and 1989.

Ironton indeed is viewed as a massive favorite for Saturday night’s outcome, as the 7-3 and eighth-seeded Golden Rockets are making just their third all-time playoff appearance — with the others being in 2004 and 2006.

Ironton head coach Trevon Pendleton, completing his second season, said his Fighting Tigers take every opponent seriously — and explained that last year’s finish fuels fire for motivation this time around.

The Tigers lost their final three games to end at 6-5, including the Region 19 quarterfinal at top-seeded and eventual state runner-up Johnstown-Monroe. “We’re going to prepare for them (Wellston) just like we would any other opponent, and we’ll be ready to play come Saturday night. We play in a lot of big games here at Ironton, and no game is going to be too big for our kids. Just understanding what it feels like to lose a playoff game more than anything, that’s motivated them all year long and it’s going to continue through these playoffs,” said Pendleton. “And any time our guys can play in front of the hometown crowd, they really enjoy it.”

Wellston went 7-3 in its previous playoff campaigns, as it then lost handily in regional quarterfinals to teams near Wheeling (40-6 at Bellaire in 2004 and 41-0 at Martins Ferry).

Some observers believe that this year’s result at Ironton could be along those lines…or even worse.
While Wellston first-year head coach Mike Smith knows his Golden Rockets are overwhelming underdogs, they have approached this entire season as such.

“When we (Wellston coaching staff) came here, we walked into a situation blind, and we didn’t really know what to expect. We found out that we have a few nice athletes, we started putting some things together, and one thing has led to another. These kids have really bought into everything we’ve asked them to do,” said Smith. “We’re absolutely tickled to death to be in the playoffs, and it’s been a while since the first two. We’re not even supposed to be here. So we have absolutely nothing to lose, and we’re going to go down there and play as hard as we can and see what happens.”

The Blue and Gold’s turnaround includes going from 3-7 last year to 7-3 this year, and going into its week-10 rivalry game at Vinton County with a chance to play for a share of the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio Division championship.
Part of that was a six-game winning streak in the middle of the season, as all three losses (Jackson in Division III, Athens in Division III and Vinton County in Division IV) were against larger schools.

The Golden Rockets sport just six seniors, spearheaded by four-year starter Rylan Molihan (5-9, 170, sr.), who has rushed for 1,160 yards and 11 touchdowns on 160 carries.

Molihan handles most of the kickoff and punt returns, and also has 10 receptions for 96 yards and a trip to paydirt out of the backfield.
Hunter Smith — a six-foot, five-inch, 170-pound junior — has 31 receptions for 469 yards and nine touchdowns.
But Ironton’s impressive, even elite, first-team defense has not allowed more than one touchdown in regulation time in any one game all season.
Ashland, in the Fighting Tigers’ lone setback, scored in overtime to prevail 16-10.
Offensively, in the regular season, Reid Carrico carried 172 times for 13 yards shy of 1,000, and caught 13 passes for 312 yards.
Gage Salyers, the senior quarterback, has completed 57 passes on 110 attempts for 1,173 yards and nine touchdowns — two of which last week went for 69 and 67.

“When you look at Ironton on film, you try to find a weakness, or maybe somewhere that you can attack offensively, but they are very solid. Both defensively and offensively,” said Smith. “They don’t make mistakes. They don’t turn the ball over. They play a very well-rounded solid football game. We are going to have to play our best game to have a chance.”

Smith said it would aid the Golden Rockets’ cause if they can force an early turnover or two and score off a short field — or even benefit from any significant penalties in which Ironton has been whistled for at times.

“We’re going to have to get a turnover, maybe a kickoff return, maybe a punt return, something that builds some momentum,” he said. “They just have a really good team. Their backs are good, their quarterback is good, their offensive line is good, their defense is good. They don’t do anything fancy, everything is just well-executed and well-coached. They are bigger than we are, and if we don’t tackle well or aren’t in position to make plays and stop the run, then they are going to run over us. It’s going to be a tough job. Ironton is just a really nice team.”

That is, or even was, on a so-called “revenge tour” for 2019.

That second season starts Saturday night.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I drove down from Ontario, OH for this one.

Go Fighting Tigers.....

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 pm I drove down from Ontario, OH for this one.

Go Fighting Tigers.....
A bit jealous here in Orlando.

Enjoy it!!!

It’s gonna be “chilly”.!

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

I was at the game home side full
I stood at fence line it wasn't full but packed
Burg game was packed because we were tired of the talking
And Ashland hasn't shut up since they ended our 35 year streak on them lmao
I've been too every game this season and we have more fans at the game than any team except Ashland and Burg who usually equal our turn out.
We packed Gallia cold and a hour away

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Tjhtygeverve wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 pm I drove down from Ontario, OH for this one.

Go Fighting Tigers.....
A bit jealous here in Orlando.

Enjoy it!!!

It’s gonna be “chilly”.!
You’re going to have to keep up with the updates this week, I’ll have the Grandkids at the game 😁

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Game Day! Good Luck Rockets 🚀! We’re proud of each one of you.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

I 'think' it's Steven Sinnott who's doing these videos but man, they're just top notch! Very inspiring to see and makes me wished it was 7 already!

d

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Good luck Golden Rockets, can't make the trek down tonight but play hard and see what happens. No matter what there is consensus we are turning a corner in the program.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

kantucky wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:49 am I 'think' it's Steven Sinnott who's doing these videos but man, they're just top notch! Very inspiring to see and makes me wished it was 7 already!

d

Yeah Steven sinnot does these videos he and I played at ironton together

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

MISSION 11 IRONTON FACEBOOK FOOTBALL FAN PAGE!!!
MISSION 11 IRONTON FACEBOOK FOOTBALL FAN PAGE!!!
GOTIGERSGO!!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

IRONTON TEAM PLAYOFF PHOTO FROM IRONTON FACEBOOK FOOTBALL FAN PAGE
IRONTON TEAM PLAYOFF PHOTO FROM IRONTON FACEBOOK FOOTBALL FAN PAGE
Gotigersgo

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

No dog in this fight just glad that a southeastern ohio team will advance to the next round

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process

Return to “Football”