Federal Hocking Cancels Season

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Federal Hocking Cancels Season

Post by Ironman92 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:59 pm Here is Western Brown's schedule from Joe Eitel. Wonder if any of them are available for the teams that lost games to pick up a game.

Western 2019 Football (0-0)
8/30 H Southern Buckeye (club) (3-0) C* cancelled
9/7 A West Union (club) (0-0) C* cancelled
9/13 A Sciotoville East (1-4) [7:27] C* cancelled
9/20 H Georgetown Titans (club) (0-2) C* cancelled
9/28 A North Adams (club) (0-1) C* cancelled
10/4 A Miller (2-4) [7:27] C* cancelled
10/12 H West Union (club) (0-0) C* cancelled
10/19 A Georgetown Titans (club) (0-2) C* cancelled
10/26 H Peebles (club) (1-0) C* cancelled
* - game does not count in OHSAA rankings
That’s not Western Brown, that’s Western Pike

edforshey
Varsity

? about Federal Hocking folding after Oct 1

Post by edforshey »

I just read in the Parkersburg News and Sentinel that Jerry Snodgrass of OHSAA said
OHSAA is giving FORFEIT wins to Eastern, Trimble, Waterford, and Miller
Is this correct, I thought the OHSAA ruled NO CONTEST on any game that never got started

mattash
Site Admin

Re: ? about Federal Hocking folding after Oct 1

Post by mattash »

Hurts them schools overall. I'm sure region competitors let their voices be heard. Right thing?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Yeah it sounds like a cancelled game but Jerry has the final say

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

fortdawg wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 am I find it surprising that one of the THREE superintendents they have couldn't have seen this coming and prevented it.
You read that right a school this small has 3 superintendents.
1, A regular Super
2, An asst. Super
3, An advisory Super who gets part time pay and full time benefits.
You have to be shi##ing me? This can't be true, can it? I thought NY was bad last year when they had a Business Manager (who was actually asst super) making more money than the superintendent. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Ground Buck it's true and it's public record and easy to verify.
I am being unfair to the actual Super, Hanning, he only hired on this August and inherited this mess.
The other two have been there a while.

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Fonzie wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am Read an article talking about Fed cancelling their season. In it, it stated that Trimble has offered to have senior athletes from FH come to Trimble on senior night to be recognized. I have to admit, thats a class act. Whoever came up with that, deserves a round of applause.
Saw this on the local tv station. A class offer by Trimble to invite the FH senior football players, cheerleaders and band members to Trimble's Senior Night to recognize the FH seniors. Trimble, I too, stand and give you a round of applause.

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

I thought the divisor was reduced from 10 to 9 if there was a cancelled game.

SportsFan101
Freshman Team

Post by SportsFan101 »

Sad to see. Hope they can recoup and come back with some more numbers next year. And I heard Trimble’s AD extended the offer to work it out for senior night but Fed had decided to have their own event for senior night. Either way it shows the support, and I think we can all agree we’d like to see them turn it around because they did used to have a really good program. Hate to see it!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Would have been nice to cancel 1 week earlier. Because it was done after Oct. 1st, the divisors for Trimble, Belpre and Eastern will not be lowered. It goes down as a forfeit.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Mister Bee wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 pm I thought the divisor was reduced from 10 to 9 if there was a cancelled game.
Not in this case.

They will not be lowered.

It really sucks for those teams.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

It does hurt the other three but it brings the Falcon win total to 3 and that's not a negative for them---expect the kids will only get to play nine games.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Can they regroup and play miller week 10? I feel both would want that game

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:10 pm Would have been nice to cancel 1 week earlier. Because it was done after Oct. 1st, the divisors for Trimble, Belpre and Eastern will not be lowered. It goes down as a forfeit.
Since the divisors would’ve only been lowered by four (number of games canceled) , and given that there’s three D7’s (plus D6 Trimble) with wins over a D6, wouldn’t the math work out a larger L2 points yield for the affected teams?

Proud_Falcon_95
Waterboy

Post by Proud_Falcon_95 »

Miller has already scheduled a game vs Fairfield Christian @ Millersport HS 11/1 kickoff scheduled for 7:30 pm.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Miller's new game 10 hurts the 3 other teams point wise since FC is winless and Fed was Division VI and had a win.
It does show what a motivated AD can do to help his team.
Miller finds a competitive game (twice this season) on short notice.
I wonder if Fed had scheduled competitive non-league games instead of Fort Frye and Green it would have helped their numbers?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

fortdawg wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:37 am Miller's new game 10 hurts the 3 other teams point wise since FC is winless and Fed was Division VI and had a win.
It does show what a motivated AD can do to help his team.
Miller finds a competitive game (twice this season) on short notice.
I wonder if Fed had scheduled competitive non-league games instead of Fort Frye and Green it would have helped their numbers?
Very negligible difference - 3.5 2nd level points instead of 4 (approximately .05 depending on the divisor). The FH win doesn’t mean anything to Miller’s opponents - they only get points for Miller’s win (not for Miller’s opponents wins). If Miller happens to lose, it’d have slightly more of an impact.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:20 am
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:10 pm Would have been nice to cancel 1 week earlier. Because it was done after Oct. 1st, the divisors for Trimble, Belpre and Eastern will not be lowered. It goes down as a forfeit.
Since the divisors would’ve only been lowered by four (number of games canceled) , and given that there’s three D7’s (plus D6 Trimble) with wins over a D6, wouldn’t the math work out a larger L2 points yield for the affected teams?
It isn’t as big an impact with it only being 4 off the divisor, but for playoff teams, it absolutely does not help.

Think of it this way - FH brIngs 4 1st level points and 3.5 2nd level points. Essentially 7.5 points (the divisors are slightly different, so that isn’t exact, but you’ll get the idea).

Last year, the #8 team in R27 got in at a 7.7 average per game. If your average is 7.7, beating a team who brings you 7.5 will decrease your average (slightly in that case).

If you only have a couple wins, say your average is 2.5, then beating a team who brings you 7.5 points increases your average, but it really doesn’t matter because you are not aiming for a playoff spot anyway.

Now if you look at Fort Frye last year, their average was around 22 points. Had they played and beaten a winless FH team, it would have actually reduced their average by around 2 whole points.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

When the numbers were crunched, they found out it wasn't going to hurt Waterford, Eastern, as much as Trimble.

It's going to cost the Tomcats about 2 full points, most likely dropping them to the No. 4 seed.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Hate to see it for the remaining kids but at some point, player safety outweighs pride and Federal Hocking made the right call. Unfortunately, I think this is going to be more common with small schools the next few years as the numbers just aren't there for a lot of programs. Sad to see the sport of football dying at the small school level.*

Return to “Football”