Gallia Academy 45 - 28 Portsmouth

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: WK5 Portsmouth (4-0) @ Gallia Academy (4-0)

Post by FANOSPORTS »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:55 am Could we be looking at another truly special Blue Devil football team? Many of these questions will be answered this Friday night. If they beat the Trojans, as they should, it looks like their next true test will come at the Swamp against the Fighting Tigers of Ironton.
I've been saying all year that's the only REAL competitive game on the schedule. I'll probably make the 100 mile trip to catch that one. My prediction is that they'll end up 9-1 and play either Marion Franklin or John Glenn in rd. 1 this year which they would lose. If by some chance they get Heath, Bloom-Carroll or Waverly in rd. 1, that will be a win. (JMO)

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 am
GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 pm Brian was shot by his girlfriends cousin in the front yard of her home. To my knowledge, no charges were ever filed.
oh my gosh grad, I had no idea how he passed away. that's awful. wow, just horrible. very sorry to hear that.

goodness bait what a story you revoked down there in blue devil country...….be safe to say I will always remember who Brian Mink is from now on

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Black n silver
Waterboy

Post by Black n silver »

Blue/92 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:38 pm
UofL wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:36 pm
Blue/92 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Gallia was playing without 3 d lineman.
[/quote

No they weren’t lol...
Yes they were. Meadows, Hemby, and Duncan
Meadows played and so did Hemby. Duncan is the only one who didn't play.

Blue/92
Riding the Bench

Post by Blue/92 »

Black n silver wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:37 am
UofL wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:36 pm
Yes they were. Meadows, Hemby, and Duncan
Wrong again! I know for a fact those three did not play.

Black n silver
Waterboy

Post by Black n silver »

Blue/92 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:40 am
Typical Gallia people, trying to find an excuse for getting out gained in rushing by RV by saying 3 linemen were out. When literally I watched Meadows 58 and Hemby 53 both start.

Blue/92
Riding the Bench

Post by Blue/92 »

Black n silver wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 am
Blue/92 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:40 am
Typical Gallia people, trying to find an excuse for getting out gained in rushing by RV by saying 3 linemen were out. When literally I watched Meadows 58 and Hemby 53 both start.
You must have piss poor eyes. They all three stood on sideline wearing khakis that night. Doesnt really matter at this point though, you do remember what the scoreboard looked like right? If they were to play again, outcome would still be the same! Niw go back to your RV posts and make excuses why your team can't win a game.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:23 am
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:55 am Could we be looking at another truly special Blue Devil football team? Many of these questions will be answered this Friday night. If they beat the Trojans, as they should, it looks like their next true test will come at the Swamp against the Fighting Tigers of Ironton.
I've been saying all year that's the only REAL competitive game on the schedule. I'll probably make the 100 mile trip to catch that one. My prediction is that they'll end up 9-1 and play either Marion Franklin or John Glenn in rd. 1 this year which they would lose. If by some chance they get Heath, Bloom-Carroll or Waverly in rd. 1, that will be a win. (JMO)

If they finish 9-1. I don’t think they earn a home game and end up traveling somewhere on road. I am not positive they would get a home game at 10-0 they probably would but I haven’t done the math yet. Just starting to look at those things.

THEbuckeyes
Freshman Team

Post by THEbuckeyes »

svac83 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:11 am

If they finish 9-1. I don’t think they earn a home game and end up traveling somewhere on road. I am not positive they would get a home game at 10-0 they probably would but I haven’t done the math yet. Just starting to look at those things.

Not sure the matchups yet but I do think Indian Valley, Licking Valley, St Clairsville, Gallia Academy , Heath, Bloom Carroll should be in and then you have a few schools fighting for the other two spots...… I think those schools are John Glenn, East, Maysville, Waverly, Marion-Franklin.

I think a couple of those five are scary matchups for anyone in the region week one even though the record maybe 7-3 or 6-4 Licking Valley won the region last year coming in 7-3 as a 7 seed. I agree John Glenn and M-F have the most talent out of those schools with East having its fair share of athletes.

These schools were in no particular order just trying to remember schools and schedules the best I can off the top of my head.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

This post isn't about the game, because game by game posts bring about the same thing as to what it takes to win........I felt compelled to put Portsmouth's football resurgence in perspective to those who are not familiar with how far we've come since Bruce Kalb became head coach in 2018.

From 2008-2017, Portsmouth football endured perhaps its most losing period ever, going 30-70 after making a 2007 playoff appearance, the 9th in school history. Then the program completely fell apart. Averaging 3 wins a year for 10 years certainly had its effect on the participation numbers, the fan attendance, and a rash of coaching turnovers. Many games during this time were over by halftime, with the opponent having a huge lead to the point where their 2nd and 3rd stringers got adequate playing time.

Those 10 years had Portsmouth looking on the outside of the playoff world, with year after year mercifully ending in week 10 after another horrendous season. The coaching carousel took hold of the program, as PHS simply couldn't keep a coach with staying power. In the 6 years preceding Kalb, the Trojans saw 3 coaches lead the program. Kalb became the 4th head coach in 7 years when he was named HC in 2018.

With little expectations from the fan base (including me), Coach Kalb never let that deter him from his determination to bring Trojan football back to respectability. He had a mountain to climb, but he didn't let the size of the mountain discourage him. He took what he had, got the staff all working with the same goal........make Portsmouth football relevant again. In 2018, Kalb's very first year, he had instant success, going 7-3 with a playoff appearance. He did this despite the odds working against him. He took a roster with little depth and built his team around a star running back. Traditionally, the Trojan defense had been very porous over that 10 year period, and even though the 2018 team defense was not very good, he and his staff still managed to overcome that to post that 7-3 season. Probably the highlight of the season was a 35-28 win over Ironton in the final week, with the Trojans coming back from a 21-0 deficit. PHS lost 26-0 to Middletown Madison in the playoffs, but the fans turned out in strong numbers despite an almost 4 hour drive. The feeling of playing in week 11 was something that the Trojan faithful hadn't seen while celebrating 10 birthdays since PHS's last playoff berth.

Now, in 2019, Portsmouth is 4-0 for the first time since 2002. What happens Friday night at Memorial Field is almost secondary to what has taken place in the last 15 games of Trojan football. Coach Kalb has brought the program back to respectability. The words "competitive" and "Trojan football" now belongs in the same sentence. Portsmouth could possibly go 7-3 this season, with a better than average chance to post an 8-2 record. I don't look for our Trojans to go 10-0, because I don't think that's a fair expectation. If we're fortunate enough to make the playoffs, it will be the first time since the 2001 and 2002 Trojans to accomplish that feat.

Coach Kalb and his staff have produced an 11-4 record in the 15 games of his tenure......for Trojan fans, after enduring 10 years of football futility, it feels like football heaven. To some people, what the Trojans have done may not seem like a big deal......but if you sat through that previous decade, like I and many others did, on some cold and wet bleachers, it has made football Friday nights much more fun again.

GO TROJANS!!
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Very well said Dave. This program has done a 360. The coaches have done exceptional and the kids have bought into it.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, beergogglebluez........see you Friday night.

THEbuckeyes
Freshman Team

Post by THEbuckeyes »

Very good post Trojandave. I loved watching the Portsmouth teams form late 90's and early 00's some great teams and great players there. Are any of those players back helping coach or around the program? I would love to see G.A. get some of its glory years players back in coaching or just helping out not taking away from Penrod just would like to see some of the old players come aboard be apart of the program. I know a couple of brothers that played at Penn State was helping for a period of time down there just curious.....

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

THEbuckeyes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:43 pm Very good post Trojandave. I loved watching the Portsmouth teams form late 90's and early 00's some great teams and great players there. Are any of those players back helping coach or around the program? I would love to see G.A. get some of its glory years players back in coaching or just helping out not taking away from Penrod just would like to see some of the old players come aboard be apart of the program. I know a couple of brothers that played at Penn State was helping for a period of time down there just curious.....
Gallia has a lot of people form its past recent or long past that are very close to the program and do help out or come and talk to team. Not on staff but they are a part.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

THEBuckeyes: The Cadogen brothers, Nate and Gerald, both played at Penn State and are currently on staff. A newcomer this year to the staff is Jaylen Kennedy, who played for the Trojans around 2010. Coach Kalb played for Portsmouth. There's a lot of football playing experience on staff right now, which has certainly helped the program make a marked improvement.

THEbuckeyes
Freshman Team

Post by THEbuckeyes »

Trojandave. That’s is a great thing glad to see things going in the right direction seems that they have found the right formula to get the program turned around. I know the camp the Carogen brothers put on At least one and maybe 2 GA grads work with them and love what they have going on down there

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

I still think this game will be disappointing to the build up. Bad match for Portsmouth

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Vik wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:33 pm I still think this game will be disappointing to the build up. Bad match for Portsmouth
Possibly but Portsmouth can play a major spoiler. Gallias region is tough and 1 loss really puts a damper on things. To me gallia has everything to lose. Portsmouth will have to play a near perfect game but it’s high school and anything can happen.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

trojandave wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:11 pm This post isn't about the game, because game by game posts bring about the same thing as to what it takes to win........I felt compelled to put Portsmouth's football resurgence in perspective to those who are not familiar with how far we've come since Bruce Kalb became head coach in 2018.

From 2008-2017, Portsmouth football endured perhaps its most losing period ever, going 30-70 after making a 2007 playoff appearance, the 9th in school history. Then the program completely fell apart. Averaging 3 wins a year for 10 years certainly had its effect on the participation numbers, the fan attendance, and a rash of coaching turnovers. Many games during this time were over by halftime, with the opponent having a huge lead to the point where their 2nd and 3rd stringers got adequate playing time.

Those 10 years had Portsmouth looking on the outside of the playoff world, with year after year mercifully ending in week 10 after another horrendous season. The coaching carousel took hold of the program, as PHS simply couldn't keep a coach with staying power. In the 6 years preceding Kalb, the Trojans saw 3 coaches lead the program. Kalb became the 4th head coach in 7 years when he was named HC in 2018.

With little expectations from the fan base (including me), Coach Kalb never let that deter him from his determination to bring Trojan football back to respectability. He had a mountain to climb, but he didn't let the size of the mountain discourage him. He took what he had, got the staff all working with the same goal........make Portsmouth football relevant again. In 2018, Kalb's very first year, he had instant success, going 7-3 with a playoff appearance. He did this despite the odds working against him. He took a roster with little depth and built his team around a star running back. Traditionally, the Trojan defense had been very porous over that 10 year period, and even though the 2018 team defense was not very good, he and his staff still managed to overcome that to post that 7-3 season. Probably the highlight of the season was a 35-28 win over Ironton in the final week, with the Trojans coming back from a 21-0 deficit. PHS lost 26-0 to Middletown Madison in the playoffs, but the fans turned out in strong numbers despite an almost 4 hour drive. The feeling of playing in week 11 was something that the Trojan faithful hadn't seen while celebrating 10 birthdays since PHS's last playoff berth.

Now, in 2019, Portsmouth is 4-0 for the first time since 2002. What happens Friday night at Memorial Field is almost secondary to what has taken place in the last 15 games of Trojan football. Coach Kalb has brought the program back to respectability. The words "competitive" and "Trojan football" now belongs in the same sentence. Portsmouth could possibly go 7-3 this season, with a better than average chance to post an 8-2 record. I don't look for our Trojans to go 10-0, because I don't think that's a fair expectation. If we're fortunate enough to make the playoffs, it will be the first time since the 2001 and 2002 Trojans to accomplish that feat.

Coach Kalb and his staff have produced an 11-4 record in the 15 games of his tenure......for Trojan fans, after enduring 10 years of football futility, it feels like football heaven. To some people, what the Trojans have done may not seem like a big deal......but if you sat through that previous decade, like I and many others did, on some cold and wet bleachers, it has made football Friday nights much more fun again.

GO TROJANS!!
Very good post. Glad that the Trojans are relevant again.

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

svac83 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:11 am

According to Drew Pasteurs prediction likely chance of home game with 9-1 and a slight chance with 8-2

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Hmm. I don’t see this game living up to the hype. I think Gallia rolls!

Return to “Football”