Proud_Falcon95
Freshman Team

Can anyone enlighten me???

Post by Proud_Falcon95 »

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Can anyone enlighten me???

Post by BigBlueNation »

Was told they cancelled football for this year.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

They have their soccer team going haven’t heard if they are still trying to have a football team or not. Definitely having both is gonna he hard to maintain either of them

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yep didn't have enough boys so they canceled for this year, and I've heard some talk about the possibility of them trying to become a club team.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Don't know any of the details at all, but probably a low numbers situation that a lot of the other smaller schools around the State are also going through.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I think Pike Western lost the coach/leader who was spearheading the football program start up. I am sure the soccer startup compromised the football numbers. Honestly I was surprised that Western got as far they did with football given the school size and finances. That and as the 2019 season has unfolded, low numbers have forced many small schools to cancel games or the whole season. In that environment I would think starting football would be a no go. Maybe somebody in Piketon or Waverly knows if the program is dead or just hibernating.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Omega wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:03 pm I think Pike Western lost the coach/leader who was spearheading the football program start up. I am sure the soccer startup compromised the football numbers. Honestly I was surprised that Western got as far they did with football given the school size and finances. That and as the 2019 season has unfolded, low numbers have forced many small schools to cancel games or the whole season. In that environment I would think starting football would be a no go. Maybe somebody in Piketon or Waverly knows if the program is dead or just hibernating.
Well they're still playing a junior high schedule this year, so obviously it's not dead otherwise you'd just sack the junior high program as well. I've heard Western has had about 2-3 coaches in a short amount of time, 2 of which are at Northwest right now, Crabtree and Caudill.

Proud_Falcon95
Freshman Team

Post by Proud_Falcon95 »

Sorry to hear this,but I feel like with the popularity of soccer growing around here a lot of small schools are going to face this same issue.

Return to “Football”