Athens 28 - 6 Alexander

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Alexander (3-0) vs Athens (0-3) Week 4

Post by greygoose »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:47 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:53 pm :lol: Looks like Holzer Hospital systems are involved in a lot of school projects in Meigs, Gallia, Jackson and Athens counties these days. What's happening with all the taxpayer dollar's ? I haven't seen much infrastructure change in those areas other than the highways down that way in the last 30 years and ODOT and Fed money pays for that. Maybe the insurance companies and hospitals are in cahoots while robbing the common man ? :lol:
Holzer did build the Jackson field. They have been hurting for money lately since 70% of their patients now have government insurance. They only gave 10k to Alexander. Cornwell gave $200k to the project
Holzer didn't build that Jackson field, what in the world are you talking about?? If memory serves they either paid a large portion or for all of the press box area. As far as this game goes, Athens have played a tough schedule but now get to sink their teeth into those TVC teams once again. Athens by 3 tds

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens 28
Alexander 14

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:47 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:53 pm :lol: Looks like Holzer Hospital systems are involved in a lot of school projects in Meigs, Gallia, Jackson and Athens counties these days. What's happening with all the taxpayer dollar's ? I haven't seen much infrastructure change in those areas other than the highways down that way in the last 30 years and ODOT and Fed money pays for that. Maybe the insurance companies and hospitals are in cahoots while robbing the common man ? :lol:
Holzer did build the Jackson field. They have been hurting for money lately since 70% of their patients now have government insurance. They only gave 10k to Alexander. Cornwell gave $200k to the project
10k netted Holzer’s name on the building? If I was Cornwell, I would be upset by that.

I thought that it was called Holzer Field in Jackson due to all the money Holzer gave them.

Anyways back to the game. I think Athens will be too much for Alexander. Moore should have a big game.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider never explains anything correctly. Lol

Holzer didnt just give money to stick their name on the building, that is actually a Holzer Medical clinic housed inside the facility. They signed a 10-year lease to be there. It was kind of a win-win for both.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Here is the story Raider got the photos from:

By: Troy Bolin - WXTQ/WATH

I can remember four years ago when Alexander hosted its first every home playoff football game, the Rock Hill Redmen actually stayed on the practice field behind the visiting bleachers at halftime instead of making the long trek back to the basketball locker rooms within the school. This past Friday night, South Point did the same. But the days of no visiting locker room close to the field, or trainer’s room, or a lot of other things Alexander was lacking, will soon come to an end as the Alexander Athletic Recreation Center (also known as the ARC) is near completion. It has been five years in the making, but those who have worked so hard on the project can finally see light at the end of the tunnel. There are dollars still needed to be raised, but at least the locker rooms could be in use by the time the Spartans host Wellston on Sept. 27th. It has truly been a remarkable effort just to get the ARC to this point. Countless man hours, hard work, donations, construction workers and laborers volunteering time, area businesses providing equipment and supplies at low costs, community members pitching in what they can – it’s all been very impressive. The new facility will include much needed basketball courts, which can be used for a variety of different things. A much larger weight room, upstairs track, new locker rooms, a huge concessions area, an all-purpose room for group exercises, coaches office, trainers room, an area designated for officials and a large area upstairs for stationary bikes, treadmills and mats. Nice restroom facilities will be a welcome plus too as Alexander can finally do away with the ugly porta-johns that were stationed around the field during events. Through a 10-year lease, the building will also include a Holzer Medical Center that will be beneficial to the school, its students and the community.

When I was recently given a tour of the 22,000 square foot facility and provided information on the project, I walked away thoroughly impressed. Not just by the structure itself, which is striking, but the whole idea of it, what it can it be used for and how hard people have worked to try and get it completed. From the laborers - to fundraising personnel - to business donors – to community members who have donated time and money – you all deserve a big pat on the back. I understand there is still a ways to go and more dollars to be raised – but what I have seen and gathered thus far – has left me very much impressed and appreciative. I may be an Athens High School graduate, but over the years I have developed strong friendships and a deep found respect for the neighboring county schools and understand what benefits one - benefits the others. A facility like The ARC can be used for Aleta Aces volleyball, local AAU teams, tournaments, camps and summer basketball leagues. Its primary purpose obviously is for the Alexander school district and community, but it will also benefit the entire county in the long run.
There is no doubt the Recreation Center was in fact needed as there just wasn’t enough space for a single campus like Alexander and its 1,600 students. The current gymnasium has been used for PE classes, boys and girls varsity basketball, junior varsity and freshmen teams. They also use it for state testing, blood drives and even voting during elections. Junior high teams also need gym space during the winter, youth basketball teams, baseball teams in the early spring and after all that – wrestling also needs floor space. The current weight room is far too small to accommodate all sports as well – but the new weight room is more than big enough and can also be used for classes and will have dedicated hours for use by the community.

Besides all its uses for school and athletic teams, which were desperately needed, the real value of The Arc will be its community access. Alexander has been without a doubt one of the more successful programs in the TVC. Girls sports are one of the best, if not THE best, programs in the entire league. Volleyball, girls basketball and softball have all experienced huge success and numerous league championships. Boys basketball and baseball are at or near the top every year. The soccer program is top notch and the football team has been to the playoffs three times since 2009. The new facility will only enhance all that, but, it needs to be (or will be) so much more with community members able to utilize it. In this day and age the need to promote physical health and well being is at an all-time high. Instead of our youth on the streets or at parties being exposed to drugs and alcohol, we need them at places like The ARC playing basketball or lifting weights. Instead of at home playing video games, we need to encourage them be involved with a physical activity in a social environment. Even as adults we need to exercise more and the suspended second story indoor full length track, the all-purpose room and weight room at the new facility will allow for that.
I have mentioned a few times there is still work to be done and money to be raised and I believe there are numerous options for sponsorship and donations. Whether you’re a business owner or just a person wanting to help I would encourage you to reach out to those in charge to see what you can do. I personally will be getting together with some of my class of 93 friends, who graduated from Alexander, and plan on purchasing a brick for the Spartans Nation Wall of Pride which will go up near the entrance.

For sponsorship or donations you can contact: info@spartanboost.com

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Alexander wasn’t too transparent with the building which cost them tax levies

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:59 am Raider never explains anything correctly. Lol

Holzer didnt just give money to stick their name on the building, that is actually a Holzer Medical clinic housed inside the facility. They signed a 10-year lease to be there. It was kind of a win-win for both.
lol, thanks

Nuke LaLoosh
Riding the Bench

Post by Nuke LaLoosh »

kind of amazing the last post in this topic was tuesday. this is homecoming week for athens. alexander is 3-0.

are all the athens folk already off the a-train on the road to nashville for the lsu game??? :roll:

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

Nuke LaLoosh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:08 am kind of amazing the last post in this topic was tuesday. this is homecoming week for athens. alexander is 3-0.

are all the athens folk already off the a-train on the road to nashville for the lsu game??? :roll:
Unfortunately, Athens definitely will be down plenty of fans tonight, as they will be making the trek to Nashville. That said, I think the Bulldogs right the ship in a big way and come out on top 42-13.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

6-4-3=2o wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am
Nuke LaLoosh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:08 am kind of amazing the last post in this topic was tuesday. this is homecoming week for athens. alexander is 3-0.

Unfortunately, Athens definitely will be down plenty of fans tonight, as they will be making the trek to Nashville. That said, I think the Bulldogs right the ship in a big way and come out on top 42-13.
Yep, the only thing close in this game is the driving distance 8-)

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Happy McGavin
Varsity

Post by Happy McGavin »

Welcome back to reality Alexander

Its all in the hips
BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Happy McGavin wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:50 pm Welcome back to reality Alexander

Wow beating schools half your size. I'm glad you guys continue to be so proud of that. Welcome to the reality of you can't actually compete with other D3's. I bet you Alexander won't care when they are playing week 11 and the Bulldogs are sitting at home.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Actually a pretty good game. Athens could never pull away. Alexander’s QB is tough

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

BlizzardMan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Wow beating schools half your size. I'm glad you guys continue to be so proud of that. Welcome to the reality of you can't actually compete with other D3's. I bet you Alexander won't care when they are playing week 11 and the Bulldogs are sitting at home.
Almost 1/3 of all teams make the playoffs nowadays, 224 of them to be exact so it's comparable to all the 6-6 teams in college getting a bowl bid every year. Share the wealth ($$$).

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:31 pm

Almost 1/3 of all teams make the playoffs nowadays, 224 of them to be exact so it's comparable to all the 6-6 teams in college getting a bowl bid every year. Share the wealth ($$$).
Your point? Athens won't get in. Maybe they should join a league with schools their size.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

BlizzardMan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Your point? Athens won't get in. Maybe they should join a league with schools their size.
I've said that since they ran off and really got the ball rolling on disbanding the SEOAL which had everyone else scrambling for another league. I'm just saying it's a lot easier to make the playoffs than it used to be for everyone including average teams. There are as many blowouts in rd. 1 of the playoffs today as there are in regular season games.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:58 pm

I've said that since they ran off and really got the ball rolling on disbanding the SEOAL which had everyone else scrambling for another league. I'm just saying it's a lot easier to make the playoffs than it used to be for everyone including average teams. There are as many blowouts in rd. 1 of the playoffs today as there are in regular season games.
Gotcha. I get what you mean now.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

BlizzardMan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:02 pm

Who in the heck said Athens would get in the playoffs, blizz? Certainly nobody on here that's an Athens fan. Writing on the wall going 0-3 right out of the gate. You're a Meigs guy, right? Athens isn't going anywhere. See you in 3 weeks.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

6-4-3=2o wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:26 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:02 pm

Who in the heck said Athens would get in the playoffs, blizz? Certainly nobody on here that's an Athens fan. Writing on the wall going 0-3 right out of the gate. You're a Meigs guy, right? Athens isn't going anywhere. See you in 3 weeks.
Nobody said they were. Just bragging about putting Alexander "back to reality". My point was being Alex has a great shot at week 11 and if they do, losing to a school twice their size won't matter too much and does nothing for Athens.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

I've been reading this site for years and do not comment much at all, and it's because of comments like yours above. I NEVER see true Athens fans "continue to be so proud" of beating who is on our schedule. The TVC invited us in, we accepted. The schedule is dropped, we go out and play it whatever sport it may be. I swear every 4th thread on here there is someone that brings up Athens out of the blue. Never fails. And as for Alexander, I hope they do make it to week 11, but they have Wellston and VC next 2 weeks, then NY and Warren weeks 8, 9. Let's pump the brakes on that playoff prediction just a bit.

Return to “Football”