Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

14U
S

Re: Wheelersburg 34 Ashland 33

Post by 14U »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 pm
BurgBaskets wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:47 pm I think this W turns season in positive direction

Burg grew up a lot in this game

Always nice to get a player like Matthews back and Horsley being a little healthier. They are both Seniors and both made big plays tonight.
Yes it was the difference tonight plus having a true QB that grew up tonight after throwing an INT for tomcat TD but didn’t let it get to him. Only a Sophomore too. The first 2 games didn’t have that QB after burg lost their starter right before season started. I think Woodard found his starter

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Agree they did grow up tonite. Lots of young kids. I thought the kids and lots of heart bailed out some burg coaching decisions. Absolutely hate the onsides kicks. Burg hasa kicker than can kick it to at minimum the 5 yard line and they set up Ashland opening kickoff near mid field. Toss in a face mask penality and you got a run first team in 4 down territory to start the game. Burg gets the stop. Takes it out to their 40 and fake punts to setAshland up one more time on their side if the field. What would the first down on the fake get you that early. Still have to go 60 yards to get a score. The squib that set up Ashland in the 4th quarter I didn’t understand either. EVERY scoring drive tonite by Ashland began in burg territory because the decision making set them up there. They made some great calls late to pull it out but there is no reason to put that young defenses back to the wall time and time again. I thought Matthews played with so much heart tonite. He gutted it out and the whole team really played hard. Burg may have secured a playoff birth tonite. I know it’s early but it is a big big hill to climb if they fall to 0-3 tonite and Ashland will get them points all season. Can’t have hangover next week Gotta come ready to play. Go pirates

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Fannin, Kouns, and Miller coming on strong on defense as well...great to see!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Great game and season-saving win for Burg. Looks like the ship has been righted*

TruthBeTold
Waterboy

Re: WK3 Ashland (KY) @ Wheelersburg

Post by TruthBeTold »

PirateBB wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 pm Hard to believe that Ashland Coaches go for 2 in OT when the burg kicker is a sure thing on EP. also hard to believe that they allow the best player on the field, on 4th and 4, to go pretty much untouched into end zone for TD.

Burg coaching was superior, as expected
I actually went to the game tonight (finally made it to my first one this year) and Burg’s coaching looked awful. The only reason it went to overtime was because of their poor decisions. They kicked two onside kicks that both led to Ashland having the ball inside the 50... One of those kicks was a squib kick with 6 minutes left when up 2 scores. Not to mention, they clearly have a kicker that can boot it into the end zone (if not, very close). They about lost these kids the game; luckily, the kids bailed them out. They also had a fake punt attempt that was equally as silly. I know the players are young, but the coaches didn’t help these kids tonight at all.

Truth be told.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

522Pirate wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:14 am Fannin, Kouns, and Miller coming on strong on defense as well...great to see!
Whole d played great
22, 10, 4, 3, 23, 26

I thought those kids stepped up and played like they’re capable

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
TruthBeTold
Waterboy

Post by TruthBeTold »

victor creed wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:04 am Agree they did grow up tonite. Lots of young kids. I thought the kids and lots of heart bailed out some burg coaching decisions. Absolutely hate the onsides kicks. Burg hasa kicker than can kick it to at minimum the 5 yard line and they set up Ashland opening kickoff near mid field. Toss in a face mask penality and you got a run first team in 4 down territory to start the game. Burg gets the stop. Takes it out to their 40 and fake punts to setAshland up one more time on their side if the field. What would the first down on the fake get you that early. Still have to go 60 yards to get a score. The squib that set up Ashland in the 4th quarter I didn’t understand either. EVERY scoring drive tonite by Ashland began in burg territory because the decision making set them up there. They made some great calls late to pull it out but there is no reason to put that young defenses back to the wall time and time again. I thought Matthews played with so much heart tonite. He gutted it out and the whole team really played hard. Burg may have secured a playoff birth tonite. I know it’s early but it is a big big hill to climb if they fall to 0-3 tonite and Ashland will get them points all season. Can’t have hangover next week Gotta come ready to play. Go pirates
You’ve got that right. These coaches need to get their act together.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Wasn’t one of the burgs best coaching jobs
D played well but wore down late
Offense played better but still along way to go

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

TruthBeTold wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:23 am
PirateBB wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 pm Hard to believe that Ashland Coaches go for 2 in OT when the burg kicker is a sure thing on EP. also hard to believe that they allow the best player on the field, on 4th and 4, to go pretty much untouched into end zone for TD.

I actually went to the game tonight (finally made it to my first one this year) and Burg’s coaching looked awful. The only reason it went to overtime was because of their poor decisions. They kicked two onside kicks that both led to Ashland having the ball inside the 50... One of those kicks was a squib kick with 6 minutes left when up 2 scores. Not to mention, they clearly have a kicker that can boot it into the end zone (if not, very close). They about lost these kids the game; luckily, the kids bailed them out. They also had a fake punt attempt that was equally as silly. I know the players are young, but the coaches didn’t help these kids tonight at all.

Truth be told.
Glad you came. You saw a heck of a high school football game. I agree. Kick it deep. I do think the last play in OT was genius. Ashland didn’t know what to do with 29 at wild cat

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
14U
S

Post by 14U »

victor creed wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:04 am Agree they did grow up tonite. Lots of young kids. I thought the kids and lots of heart bailed out some burg coaching decisions. Absolutely hate the onsides kicks. Burg hasa kicker than can kick it to at minimum the 5 yard line and they set up Ashland opening kickoff near mid field. Toss in a face mask penality and you got a run first team in 4 down territory to start the game. Burg gets the stop. Takes it out to their 40 and fake punts to setAshland up one more time on their side if the field. What would the first down on the fake get you that early. Still have to go 60 yards to get a score. The squib that set up Ashland in the 4th quarter I didn’t understand either. EVERY scoring drive tonite by Ashland began in burg territory because the decision making set them up there. They made some great calls late to pull it out but there is no reason to put that young defenses back to the wall time and time again. I thought Matthews played with so much heart tonite. He gutted it out and the whole team really played hard. Burg may have secured a playoff birth tonite. I know it’s early but it is a big big hill to climb if they fall to 0-3 tonite and Ashland will get them points all season. Can’t have hangover next week Gotta come ready to play. Go pirates
I agree with why give a team like Ashland great field position with onside kick start the game then fake punt in tomcat 40, another short pooch kick that ended up at midfield with face mask gave to tomcats ball at the 40. One time burg kicked off went into endzone. If burg kicks the ball off everytime I don’t see Ashland scoring as much. Also one Ashland TD came off an INT as burg was driving to score, Ashland player took it 99 yards for the score. But the pirates survived and off to Greenup next week a AAAA school for plenty of computer points.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Truth be told 3 kicking decisions in a game of 100s of decisions isn’t a bad percentage.

I enjoy people who come on this message board and critique coaching staffs.

They usually don’t like being questioned.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
TruthBeTold
Waterboy

Post by TruthBeTold »

Jack Sparrow wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:29 am
TruthBeTold wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:23 am

Truth be told.
Glad you came. You saw a heck of a high school football game. I agree. Kick it deep. I do think the last play in OT was genius. Ashland didn’t know what to do with 29 at wild cat
I agree, looked almost like a wildcat/fat formation. They had no timeouts to adjust either.

TruthBeTold
Waterboy

Post by TruthBeTold »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:32 am Truth be told 3 kicking decisions in a game of 100s of decisions isn’t a bad percentage.

Totally fine with being questioned. It’s not the fact that these were 3 “measly” little kicking decisions as you’re trying to make them seem. I understand making a bad offensive or defensive call as these are much more likely to mess up. These were big decisions and very obvious on what the ‘good’ decision was to take. A fake punt on the opposing 50 is a silly decision at nearly all times in a football game. A squib kick to the 40 yard line with 6 minutes left, up 2 scores, is a silly decision at all times. An onside kick to start the game and give good field position, is a silly decision at all times. These aren’t tiny little mistakes, these are large mistakes that literally would have lost them the game if it wasn’t for such a great kick. On many other boards I praise this coaching staff and highly respect them. But these decisions were either out of silliness or arrogance, because these are not good football decisions. I tell the truth when it needs told.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Just yanking your chain.

Critiquing your critique.

I’m glad I’m not a coach. And I don’t know any of them on the Burg Staff.

You would think that if any staff has earned the benefit of the doubt it would be the staff that is 58-5 in the regular season since the beginning of 2013.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

TruthBeTold wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:40 am
LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:32 am Truth be told 3 kicking decisions in a game of 100s of decisions isn’t a bad percentage.

Totally fine with being questioned. It’s not the fact that these were 3 “measly” little kicking decisions as you’re trying to make them seem. I understand making a bad offensive or defensive call as these are much more likely to mess up. These were big decisions and very obvious on what the ‘good’ decision was to take. A fake punt on the opposing 50 is a silly decision at nearly all times in a football game. A squib kick to the 40 yard line with 6 minutes left, up 2 scores, is a silly decision at all times. An onside kick to start the game and give good field position, is a silly decision at all times. These aren’t tiny little mistakes, these are large mistakes that literally would have lost them the game if it wasn’t for such a great kick. On many other boards I praise this coaching staff and highly respect them. But these decisions were either out of silliness or arrogance, because these are not good football decisions. I tell the truth when it needs told.
Well said! Burg did kick it off and put it in the end zone. So the young man has the foot proven many times tonight

TruthBeTold
Waterboy

Post by TruthBeTold »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:45 am Just yanking your chain.

Critiquing your critique.

I’m glad I’m not a coach. And I don’t know any of them on the Burg Staff.

You would think that if any staff has earned the benefit of the doubt it would be the staff that is 58-5 in the regular season since the beginning of 2013.
Yes definitely, they totally deserve it. They are an excellent staff who brought a state championship to Wheelersburg Ohio. They do an excellent job and never would I want to trash their accomplishments. I watched the Ironton game online and today in person and just being honest with what I’ve been seeing, I thought they got out coached against Ironton and could have cost them the game tonight. Granted, those are two great teams they were facing with a young team, but I believe it’s important to bring such large mistakes to light because they NEED fixed. I will continue to praise this staff, as they have done a great job learning from their mistakes.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It’s easy to coach from the stands, especially after the game or play is done. Heck I do it. I was mad that they ran a counter on 3 and 1. That’s a slow developing play for that yardage but then I totally wouldn’t have ran Makaya on a wildcat sweep. So go figure. Lol. Burg coaches always work hard to get the best out of their team. Not everything will work but most of the time it does.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I saw the short kicks and wondered why. I also saw the front 9 and the hole and then the back 2 and thought they saw something and it didn’t work.

The fake punt... yeah but what if it worked? Also what if the threat of it kept Ashland from deploying deep backs the entire game.

Just throwing things out there.

Or they could be idiots. Either way.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Don’t get me wrong. I love burgs coaches. I think they are doing a great job with this young talent and as I said some of the coaching decisions bailed out the bad ones. The time out late in regulation with Ashland on the 1 yard line looking a bit disorganized saved enough time for burg to go down the field and get in field goal range saved the game. I just don’t understand the enfatuation with the onside kicks that are just low percentage and with such a young defense when your kicker has the ability to kick it to the endzone. Plus Ashland is big and likes to run it right at you why give them such a short field and 4down territory. That game could easily have been a 27-14 win in regulation. Defense played lights out.
Last edited by victor creed on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

And your points could all be valid. Truth.

I’m just saying if I had the record they had I would hope Someone—heck anyone would defend me.

That’s all.

Return to “Football”