Gallia Academy 14 - 13 Point Pleasant (WV)

Jason Vorhees
S

Re: WK3 Point Pleasant (0-0) @ Gallia Academy (2-0 0-0) "BATTLE OF THE BRIDGE"

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Series History since 2000:
2000: Gallia Academy 34 Point Pleasant 13
2001: GA 16 Point 0
2002: GA 28 Point 16
2003: GA 35 Point 6
2004: GA 20 Point 7
2005: GA 44 Point 15
2006: GA 42 Point 13
2007: GA 28 Point 0
2008: GA 28 Point 21
2009-13: No Game
2014: Point 58 GA 3
2015: Point 76 GA 29
2016: Point 61 GA 12
2017-18: No Game

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Kcin2791 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:04 pm
BlizzardMan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:35 pm
Kcin2791 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 pm Point is only playing a 8 game schedule. Has been off the first two weeks.
It's a 9 game schedule, but in WV, every team has a bye week. Theirs happened to be week 2.
It’s an 8 game schedule because the Sycamore game is no more than an in-season scrimmage and does not count toward rating points.
----------------------
They have 8 games that count toward playoff points
Its actually Bishop Sycamore from Columbus, a club team
Sycamore is a D1 school in Cincinnati

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

I'm going with Point by whatever they want it to be. We sat behind their coaches at the GA/RV game. When they left at the 2nd quarter, told them good luck, and to beat them for us, said no problem, they aren't worried about anyone or anything GA has.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Rvfan wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:04 pm I'm going with Point by whatever they want it to be. We sat behind their coaches at the GA/RV game. When they left at the 2nd quarter, told them good luck, and to beat them for us, said no problem, they aren't worried about anyone or anything GA has.
Now that's getting behind your county brothers against the West Virginians! lol!
Really, what did you expect the coaches to say? Maybe Oh, we don't know, we'll try. Come on dude.

Blue/92
Riding the Bench

Post by Blue/92 »

Rvfan wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:04 pm I'm going with Point by whatever they want it to be. We sat behind their coaches at the GA/RV game. When they left at the 2nd quarter, told them good luck, and to beat them for us, said no problem, they aren't worried about anyone or anything GA has.
Lol. They may have left during 2nd quarter to head back across the river and get to work. Thus isn't the same Gallia team, coach, or mind set that they played a few years back!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Well since they were at Alexander scrimmage. i saw them at the preview, They were at the Meigs game i am sure by 2nd quarter they have seen everything they want to see my guess is with first two weeks off they have probably had at least one coach at several of there opponents games.

This will be a great test for the blue devils. I think this point pleasant team will be better then any team we have played since Penrod was named coach except for licking valley last year in playoffs.

I think this will be a great test and hopefully blue devils end up on top.

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

If Point does win it’ll be low scoring, one of the best GA defenses if not the best in the last 10 years.

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

Also almost any team that has a month to scout and prepare for one team has a good shot.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Gallipolis could run a large hose from Chickamauga Creek to water the field all day since Point has been practicing on their nice turf all fall. That'll throw'em off a bit , slow'em down and after they bring the wrong footwear and start slippin and slidin it'll be in the bag for the Blue Boys.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

NoPain23 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:38 pm If Point does win it’ll be low scoring, one of the best GA defenses if not the best in the last 10 years.
I like to think this defense is really good. But I think we need to see a little more first. We haven’t really seen it against a physical offense yet.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

svac83 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:52 am
NoPain23 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:38 pm If Point does win it’ll be low scoring, one of the best GA defenses if not the best in the last 10 years.
I like to think this defense is really good. But I think we need to see a little more first. We haven’t really seen it against a physical offense yet.
Svac, what are your thoughts on this one?

UofL
Waterboy

Post by UofL »

I’m not convinced that Gallia defense is better than last years..last years was the best I’ve seen..Rv rushed for 235 but stalled in the red zone...I’m like a lot of others I think this game will determine how good they really are

THEbuckeyes
Freshman Team

Post by THEbuckeyes »

I think this will be a great game prob the best one of the week around the Tri State. I think GAHS has a good D and are bigger up front and faster than Point overall. The key to this one does the GAHS offence cord. call a good game. When put in big game situations he normally goes to a QB option when your QB isn't your best option..... He needs to look at the numbers in the box and find one on one matchups and exploit them. Last year when they played Licking Valley multiple times Licking Valley was playing two Dbs wide side of field in a zone coverage with GAHS having three wide to that side its a simple flare pass you have two blockers which happened to be #6 and #34 with #3 to catch and run. I like those numbers to pick up min 5 yards per try. But GAHS instead ran the read play to an overfilled box in the second haft......I am not saying GAHS would have beat Licking Valley but I think this would have made them a lot closer and made them work for it.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:37 pm Point really killed Gallia before Gallia dropped them. They always have a lot of speed
That was a combination of a legendary run of talent for Point Pleasant and three of the worst Gallia Academy teams of the past 30+ years.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:05 am
svac83 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:52 am
Svac, what are your thoughts on this one?
Well point pleasant will be breaking in a new QB that hasn't started a varsity game but they do return bradley adkins a 1000 yard rusher and 400 yard pass catcher. Also have a huge back that they love to use in short yardage situations. on the defensive side Point pleasant returns 10 starters on defense. That defense was not great but considering the game experience. and the blue devils saw last year how kids can improve as the year goes on.

I keep hearing that gallia will be bigger then point pleasant. But point will probably average over 260 on offensive line so i think they are every bit as big as gallia academy is. They have a 300 pound offensive lineman that has scholarship offers.

On defense tonight we will see how good we are if point can run and not be forced to pass to move the ball. They will be successful on that side of ball. This will be points first game so we dont really know what we are getting from them.

I think if the blue devils cant put up 30 points they cant win this game. Can we put up 30 points i don't know. I do think the blue devils will have the 3 fastest kids on the field. But with that said if we looked at the 10 fastest kids tonight i would say point pleasant may have 5 or 6 of the 10 so not sure the speed advantage will be that great.

What i don't know is how much of the offense that the Blue devils have not unwrapped yet. If we don't have any wrinkles that we haven't seen yet. i don't think we score 30 points here.

nobody seems to want to admit or talk about it on the blue devil side. But does everyone not realize that we can't pass block or at least have not proven it yet. Look last year we played 3 real games. !st Jackson game. we could not protect the QB could not move ball through the air. Went to ironton and in first half proved we could not pass block against a good team. In second half. we put the ball in QB's hands and he really skirted along the line of scrimmage or quick routes but we could not traditionally pass protect. Then we had the playoff game we could not pass protect. And they spied the QB and we could not use same plan we had against Ironton.

So far this year we have not faced a team that could contain our speed. Tonight i think we face a team that can contain it unless we add some wrinkles to it. I think there are several things we can do to change that but i am not sure we are capable of doing it.

to win i think we have to do at least 2 of the following things on offense. First is pass in run situations and be able to pass protect. Our QB has a cannon for a arm but seems to be much more comfortable in pocket then out of it. If we can't or don't do that we must make the QB accountable in running game. we don't need to call the QB's number as often as a year ago. But we have to call it some. when you only have to worry about motion back at the dive back much easier to defend then if you must also worry about the Qb taking off. Thirdly i think we could do to point what Jackson did to us for years and would tremendously help our run game and if we could pull it off against point we could really frustrate everyone else on our schedule. And that is for our lineman to go to wide splits. if your offensive lineman can win there assignments this allows you to open huge holes without moving the defender that far. The final thing i think we could do to really help the offense is ben cox and i am having problems remembering his name but number 34 on routes right down the seems or quick crossing routes.

I think the ball goes up and down field here. Think we have pieces of this offense that we haven't seen and think blue devils pull out a close win 31-28. we need our offense and QB to grow up tonight. Point is 83-13 since 2011they will come prepared and with athletes to match us. It really should be a lot of fun. I also think half time adjustments win this game just like at ironton last year.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:13 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:37 pm Point really killed Gallia before Gallia dropped them. They always have a lot of speed
That was a combination of a legendary run of talent for Point Pleasant and three of the worst Gallia Academy teams of the past 30+ years.
Just to be clear what happened here. Gallia academy did not drop point. Point pleasant had moved up to AAA in west virginia and had to play so many triple AAA teams to qualify for playoffs. that is why series ended point coach said in interview that if they dropped back to AA they would love to have Gallia back on schedule.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

THEbuckeyes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 am I think this will be a great game prob the best one of the week around the Tri State. I think GAHS has a good D and are bigger up front and faster than Point overall. The key to this one does the GAHS offence cord. call a good game. When put in big game situations he normally goes to a QB option when your QB isn't your best option..... He needs to look at the numbers in the box and find one on one matchups and exploit them. Last year when they played Licking Valley multiple times Licking Valley was playing two Dbs wide side of field in a zone coverage with GAHS having three wide to that side its a simple flare pass you have two blockers which happened to be #6 and #34 with #3 to catch and run. I like those numbers to pick up min 5 yards per try. But GAHS instead ran the read play to an overfilled box in the second haft......I am not saying GAHS would have beat Licking Valley but I think this would have made them a lot closer and made them work for it.
I disagree with like 95% of this post. if you look at third downs last year gallia went to a jumbo formation and handed to a running back almost every time. I also think if you were a regular watcher of this team over last year everyone realized that our shotgun snaps form center were incredibly slow and we had a QB who did not have a quick release. we had very little success against any team with that play. it is not something we did well. I agree we should of been really good at it but weren't. in most games most of our games both running backs had more carries then the QB.

The offensive coordinator gets a bad wrap for calling a play way to often that i agree was ran way to often for years. But if you understand football and this team and what was going on was this team was not capable of blocking almost any play many years. so that was the safest play not to get kids killed. i can also tell you that during the years before Penrod came. Even though this coach was the offensive coordinator and put in the game plan for each game all week long. The head coach called all the plays on Friday nights.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

13-7
Point Pleasant midway through Q2

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

14-13 BLUE DEVILS TAKE THE LEAD

Armstrong breaks two big TD runs..