Unioto 41 Waverly 14

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Re: Unioto 41 Waverly 14

Post by bucknuts09 »

Didn’t realize he had that many, definitely one of the best players on the field every Friday night!

TIGER#27
JV Team

Re: WK3 - Unioto (1-1) @ Waverly (2-0)

Post by TIGER#27 »

mlittle wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 am
TIGER#27 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:04 am
bucknuts09 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:07 pm Unioto won up front and turnover battle, Waverly couldn’t match the physicality of Unioto, hope the Shanks kid gets himself 100% because he has huge upside, and Little looked great leading the offense for the U. Shoemaker was never able to get going.
OUCH 200+ yards and didn't get it going. Watch out if he ever does.
You don’t get points for yards
My statement was towards Bucknuts saying he didn't get going, nothing about points. 200 yards and he didn't get going, crazy if he had got going. Congrats on the win as your son played a great game.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

TIGER#27 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:23 am
mlittle wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 am

You don’t get points for yards
My statement was towards Bucknuts saying he didn't get going, nothing about points. 200 yards and he didn't get going, crazy if he had got going. Congrats on the win as your son played a great game.
Wasn’t busting your chops. Just stating I felt his post couldn’t have been towards the accumulated yardage, just the fact we were able to keep him out of the end zone. Almost half his yardage game on 2 runs. But, it’s like he’s a guaranteed 5-7 yds about every time he touches it.

I do get what you’re saying tho. I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and I actually said “ you know it sounds ridiculous to say but I felt like we did a good job on him and he still got 200 yards” and his reply “you’re right, that does sound ridiculous” lol.

And thank you! Good luck in the coming weeks. We’ll all be pulling for you guys.

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

Waverly is 2 for their last 9 attempts in the red zone. 1-5 vs. ZT and 1-4 vs. Unioto. I would bet we have passed it on first down on 6 of the 9 and Payton probably averages one touch, no more than two on the 7 fails. I know I'm a bit biased but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hopefully they figure it out.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Shoedaddy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:23 am Waverly is 2 for their last 9 attempts in the red zone. 1-5 vs. ZT and 1-4 vs. Unioto. I would bet we have passed it on first down on 6 of the 9 and Payton probably averages one touch, no more than two on the 7 fails. I know I'm a bit biased but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hopefully they figure it out.
I was in the stands thinking the same thing but wasn’t gonna alert anyone to it until after the game. He seemed to be getting somewhere between 4-7 yards on about every touch.

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

LOL. My wife was yells it plenty loud every game! He averaged a little over 7 yds. per carry.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Shoedaddy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:23 am Waverly is 2 for their last 9 attempts in the red zone. 1-5 vs. ZT and 1-4 vs. Unioto. I would bet we have passed it on first down on 6 of the 9 and Payton probably averages one touch, no more than two on the 7 fails. I know I'm a bit biased but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hopefully they figure it out.
It's no secret Shanks was hurt (many didnt know the severity of it) and was no where near 100%. When we got in the red zone (ZT & Unioto) why not go with a package of Will Futhey & Shoemaker in the backfield together (arguably the two best athletes on the team) with several plays out of that formation. Either one of those guys can throw it and run the option. Give the defense something else to worry about and stop.
Shoemaker is getting his touches during a game, with the exception of in the red zone, but Will Futhey absolutely MUST get more touches other than long fade routes and not just passes - be creative on getting him the ball - the young man is a beast!!!
It's pretty obvious what you have to stop with an injured QB (70% or less) and an inexperienced QB who was thrown into the position less than a week before the first scrimmage.

4 turnovers and 1 for 4 TD's in red zone will not win many ballgames. But you're going to have to change something, defenses are just going to T off on the QB and key on Shoe.... Have to mix it up....

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Unioto came to play and earned their W. Waverly had way too many errors, some caused by the tanks and some caused by themselves. I don't believe that the tanks are 27 points better than them, but Friday night they were. If shanks is healthy this one would've been a lot closer, not saying Waverly would have won but it would have been a different game. Unioto has a nice squad and will make a run for the SVC. How many seniors does Unioto have?

Going forward for Waverly they need to regroup and figure out some important things on how they want to approach the rest of the season. The season isn't lost by any means, even tho it may have felt the walls had completely crumbled Friday night. Before the season the expectations were very high for this team and even after Shanks got banged up before the season even began those expectations basically remained the same. While this team has a ton of talent they are also very young, and they still have a long way to go before they can become what everyone thinks they should be. Without a healthy Shanks it limits the offense with what can be called and he isn't able to be as accurate as he can be. If you watched him last year and then compare him to his first three games this year, you know he isn't nearly as effective or accurwte. Not downing the kid because he cannot help the circumstances, he is doing his best.

I know some people think Waverly should change up their defensive fronts at times, especially against run heavy teams. But it's hard to try and teach new concepts in a few days. You have to go with what you have installed and worked on for months. Same goes for the offense.

Overall I believe Waverly will be fine. They will continue to use Shoemaker in high volumes. They need to cut down on penalties and sure up their tackling. As long as they come out focused and the coaches have them prepared, they will have success. Just have to take it one week at a time with this young group.

Good luck to the tanks going forward.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Congrats to the Shermans on a nice win! Little did a nice job running their offense and made plays when he had to. Both of their backs run hard, but I thought the boys up front were the difference. As far as the Tigers go, it's hard to lose your 2nd-year all-state QB and not struggle. He's a tough kid, but clearly is severely limited when teams are able to get pressure on him and move him off his spot in the pocket. I hope the Tiger faithful stay positive, b/c with this schedule there could be some rough patches as growing pains abound. These kids are going to make mistakes. ALL of them will make mistakes, as most did the other night. Hopefully they will remain a TEAM and not worry about individual goals and give it hell every Friday night together.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Mlittle said he had a friend! Huh?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:28 pm
It's no secret Shanks was hurt (many didnt know the severity of it) and was no where near 100%. When we got in the red zone (ZT & Unioto) why not go with a package of Will Futhey & Shoemaker in the backfield together (arguably the two best athletes on the team) with several plays out of that formation. Either one of those guys can throw it and run the option. Give the defense something else to worry about and stop.
Shoemaker is getting his touches during a game, with the exception of in the red zone, but Will Futhey absolutely MUST get more touches other than long fade routes and not just passes - be creative on getting him the ball - the young man is a beast!!!
It's pretty obvious what you have to stop with an injured QB (70% or less) and an inexperienced QB who was thrown into the position less than a week before the first scrimmage.

4 turnovers and 1 for 4 TD's in red zone will not win many ballgames. But you're going to have to change something, defenses are just going to T off on the QB and key on Shoe.... Have to mix it up....
Shoemaker should touch it every 1st down inside the redzone allow him to setup your next play call. Not get yourself in 2nd and long and think you need to chuck it up. Question is, is shanks going to continue to play and do further damage or get it fixed??

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

hbk1999 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 pm Mlittle said he had a friend! Huh?
Ok, I made that part up but the rest is true.

Waterboy

Post by 6051 »

Completely agree with everything Shoedaddy said. Definitely out coached! You have a 6’5” receiver on the field and you target him 3 out of 33 times and one of those was in the 4th on a Hail Mary 40 yard pass with a wet field/ball. Are you kidding me? Unioto was prob thinking “ can you believe they aren’t throwing him the ball”...Shoemaker should have the ball on 1st down and absolutely in the red zone. Looked like no adjustments made on defense at halftime either. Those kids deserve better from the coaches..

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

6051 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:07 am Completely agree with everything Shoedaddy said. Definitely out coached! You have a 6’5” receiver on the field and you target him 3 out of 33 times and one of those was in the 4th on a Hail Mary 40 yard pass with a wet field/ball. Are you kidding me? Unioto was prob thinking “ can you believe they aren’t throwing him the ball”...Shoemaker should have the ball on 1st down and absolutely in the red zone. Looked like no adjustments made on defense at halftime either. Those kids deserve better from the coaches..
I have zero affiliation with either program and wasn't at the game... but remember, you're always welcome to apply to any coaching job as they come open.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

I don’t like to criticize coaches it is much harder to do than ppl think. I only had two questions of waverly coaches during the game.

1. Why did shanks play in this game? Even before he ever tried to scramble or got hit he looked to be in bad shape. Lots of pain I can’t see why it was even a debate. Could have repped the younger qb all week and been fine on Friday.

2. Why did they not adjust on defense. We went unbalance with extra lineman. Double tight so 7 on the line and a wing for 8 blockers. Waverly had 3 lineman and even when they walked the outside backers up that makes 5. Add the two inside backers and it is still 8 on 7 and we had two ball carriers as well.

Other than that I didn’t think they did anything different than past years.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Rolltanks wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:50 am

1. Why did shanks play in this game? Even before he ever tried to scramble or got hit he looked to be in bad shape. Lots of pain I can’t see why it was even a debate. Could have repped the younger qb all week and been fine on Friday.

Shanks has been hurt for sometime now, this didn't just sneak up on them this week. Why they're not putting their foot down and saying you're done and working a different QB is beyond me. Kids going to do more damage to himself to trying to play through it. Top it off, what put him out Friday I've heard was hamstring which is different from the original injury.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

bucknuts09 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:07 pm Unioto won up front and turnover battle, Waverly couldn’t match the physicality of Unioto, hope the Shanks kid gets himself 100% because he has huge upside, and Little looked great leading the offense for the U. Shoemaker was never able to get going.
Tough crowd when 200+ is considered stuck in the gate haha.

football87
Freshman Team

Post by football87 »

A little late on this one... but can't stand when we blame coaching when 2/3 of Waverly's best players Shanks and Wolfe are banged up like they are. Shoemaker has been phenominal, but we need a solid passing game, and Shanks is our only QB that can win us a game against any solid team. We don't have as much overall talent as we've been used to. I think it's a good sign that Unioto players felt like they won the super bowl after beating Waverly, tells you where this program is going. I never imagined Unioto would, as I heard from a post game interview "dream about winning this game all week" :lol:

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

football87 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 am A little late on this one... but can't stand when we blame coaching when 2/3 of Waverly's best players Shanks and Wolfe are banged up like they are. Shoemaker has been phenominal, but we need a solid passing game, and Shanks is our only QB that can win us a game against any solid team. We don't have as much overall talent as we've been used to. I think it's a good sign that Unioto players felt like they won the super bowl after beating Waverly, tells you where this program is going. I never imagined Unioto would, as I heard from a post game interview "dream about winning this game all week" :lol:
Shanks is the only QB that can win against solid teams?? Guess with his injuries Waverly is done by that statement. Waverly has just as much talent as they've had over the last few years it's just younger talent that needs to gain experience. Not sure why you even post anything talking about it like this, pretty much running down anyone not shanks at QB. Very strange post probably one you should've thought about before hitting submit.

Waterboy

Post by 6051 »

I agree with Greygoose on that! Crazy post! You must not know many of the players on that team! There’s lots of talent. If we had some better planning and just a little play calling there wouldn’t be an issue.

Return to “Football”