Valley at Portsmouth to kick off the season

toast
All State

Valley at Portsmouth to kick off the season

Post by toast »

The season gets under way this Thursday night at Portsmouth as the Valley Indians come calling. I'm assuming game time is 7:00.

So which team would be favored in this match-up? Hoping for good weather and planning a trip to the Ribber before hand. Should be a big crowd as this game always attracts fans from across our area.

Hopefully Portsmouth will have taken care of the bees in their home stands. I understand some folks were stung yesterday or the day before. Still saw several flying around in front of the press box last night. I moved!

Valenth
SEOP

Re: Valley at Portsmouth to kick off the season

Post by Valenth »

I think this will be a great kickoff game. I'm sure there will be some ironing out things on each side. But to pick a winner on this game I'm going to pick the Indians over the Trojans 21 to 14.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Last year neither team played defense, it was back and forth with the Trojans pulling it out. I think we will see something similar this season, maybe not as high scoring but I think it’ll be back and forth. I’ll take the Trojans 34-28.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

Parker runs wild in the opener. Trojans 42 Indians 28

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Portsmouth defense is very fast and has played good for the most part. The pass coverage is a concern. I expect it to be worked on and be ready for game time. Offensive line needs to do way better pass blocking. But for a new line except one person it’s been better than I expected. Parker will get his. Still no clue who the quarterback is. A lot of receivers open during the jamboree game. As stated last year there was no defense. I also expect a lower scoring game. Trojans have to play better defense if they wanna win games this year. Rushing for 300 a game doesn’t matter if you give up 30 points a game. But I think the defense plays better than last year. I’m picking the Trojans.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I expect the same kind of game as last year. Valley has a very dynamic qb who is a threat to take it to the house at any time. I have been impressed with his improvement throwing the ball. Against ironton valley was ok stopping the run but couldn’t cover the deep pass but they had a freshman playing safety and wasn’t playing Andronis at corner so hopefully they get that straightened out. Portsmouth with their speed is always a dangerous game to open the season with.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

How many yards for Parker ?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Beergogglebluez
SE

mattash wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:46 pm How many yards for Parker ?
If I remember he had around 280 last year. This year I think will be 150ish. Portsmouth offense has been different this summer. I like there trying to spread the ball around.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 pm
If I remember he had around 280 last year. This year I think will be 150ish. Portsmouth offense has been different this summer. I like there trying to spread the ball around.
When it’s said and done Parker will need to be over 200 for a Trojan win - it goes through him.

Beergogglebluez
SE

smurray wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:01 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 pm
When it’s said and done Parker will need to be over 200 for a Trojan win - it goes through him.
He is definitely the centerpiece. I agree with you. The pass blocking has been rough. I hope it gets fixed. I hope all the kinks are worked out in 5 days lol.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

I like the Trojans by two scores.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Parker runs for what he wants
Portsmouth 34 Valley 20

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

I’ll take Valley by 12. I think the Indians have the potential to be towards the top of the SOC2 this year

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I'll take Valley in this game although Parker might be the beat player on the field Valley still prevails. Until the Trojans develop a passing game they will probably be the underdogs in most of their games

Burg grad 85
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I believe if Valley loads box every play the entire game , no matter if Portsmouth gets one or two TDS.by air they will prevail. If they get beat, get beat in the air not on the ground. I say Valley 35 Portsmouth 24

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

This should be a good one. Valley looked pretty good against the run against Ironton. Haven't got to see the Trojans. This one is a toss up to me.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Good luck Trojans, win one for the OVC.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Parker 227 yards

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

The losses Portsmouth has on the offensive front really showed against Waverly. I think Valley will do a lot better job slowing down Talon this year. There is no stopping him, but if you can slow him down and force Portsmouth to throw, the Indians will get this win. I think Valley has a big advantage up front but they have to use it.

Beergogglebluez
SE

I think this is the year for Portsmouth. A senior heavy team. They have worked hard and those kids know region 19 is brutal and have to win. The defense is very fast. That might be the Trojans strong point this year. I don’t care how many mistakes the new offensive line makes as long as it’s fixed Thursday. I thought they blocked well for the run. Now the pass that needs a ton of work. Those kids on the line know they have been told there new and won’t do good. That’s fueled them. The 2 offensive lineman that started last year are on defense and if the new line struggles it’s easy to sub them back in. It will be a fun game. I hope everyone is healthy and gives 100%.

Return to “Football”